49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

1 minute ago, Striker said:

Last night really was like a light version of the 2014 NFCG. If one of those things that happened (let's also add Love's two picks, the miss to Aaron Jones) the Packers likely win.

I would say it was nothing like that total collapse in all phases. It was a game we should have won but that game vs. Seattle is like a case study in things breaking bad for the NFL archives.  I still can’t go back over all of the terrible twists that led to that loss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Refugee said:

I would say it was nothing like that total collapse in all phases. It was a game we should have won but that game vs. Seattle is like a case study in things breaking bad for the NFL archives.  I still can’t go back over all of the terrible twists that led to that loss. 

Yeah, for sure. That's why I think it was a light version. All three phases had some ridiculous mistake but it was nowhere near as epic as it was vs. Seattle. It was also a near lock to make the Super Bowl (and I'd argue that '14 squad could have beaten the Pats) vs. still having to win the NFCG and then hoping you don't draw the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

A very annoying loss (since the Packers are now 1-8 vs. the West since 2009) but nowhere near as heartbreaking

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Someone with time and access to all-22 should log all the bottom-of-TV screen Line Judge contributions. It seemed to me he repeatedly tried to screw GB.

This felt like a running storyline on pretty much every QB sneak we attempted this year. Even the one that we got a first down on yesterday had to be challenged. I'm not suggesting some kind of anti-GB conspiracy, but it is weird. I blame the Philadelphia Eagles somehow. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

It’s really hard to take because this game was lost on a handful of mistakes in an otherwise well played game. 

-Bad spot on 4th down sneak

- 2 dropped INT

-3 bad throws

- Missed kick 

- Missed delay of game on SF touchdown (questionable, snaps often happen right after the play clock hits 0).

Could one not then blame MLF for not attempting a FG at that moment?....One of the announcers (G. Olsen?) was saying he (MLF) didn't have full confidence in Carlson....The body language of GB's kicker attempting to tie the score appeared tense and apprehensive to me....Translation: Had MLF had shown confidence in his kicker earlier on and he was able to give GB a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, perhaps things may have ended on a more positive note (?)...

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Lately, I’ve become obsessed with watching where the line judges spot the ball.  I used to never care until it became clear in the past few seasons these officials are ******* up on the job.

It seemed like nearly every spot was placed further back than it should have been.  The linesman on the bottom of the screen seemed to be on the take.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Lately, I’ve become obsessed with watching where the line judges spot the ball.  I used to never care until it became clear in the past few seasons these officials are ******* up on the job.

I've been focusing on it for years. And I've largely come away thinking they do an amazing job overall. Which is why it's jumps out to me when someone doesn't. Especially repeatedly against us.

I think he also tried to call a false start on ZT when Niners jumped offsides but was overruled.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Can't remember which play it was, but there was a play yesterday where the ref had his foot placed to spot the ball, and then when it came time to actually spot it, he set it down six inches behind where his foot was. What is the logic there? Are they drinking on the job? That's not at all how it is supposed to work. 

Again, I'm not blaming it on an anti-GB conspiracy. I just think some of these refs are doing a horrendous job with the details, too often for my liking. 

Edited by Isherwood

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

I think psychologically I like losing now instead of in the Super Bowl.  Guys will be hungrier all offseason. Super Bowl losers have a tendency to suck the next year.  

Absolutely....Why would you want to potentially get blown out by a team like Baltimore, when instead you valiantly just barely lost?...And to a rival who was well rested, a number one seed and one who was dominated for pretty much most of the game?....

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Can't remember which play it was, but there was a play yesterday where the ref had his foot placed to spot the ball, and then when it came time to actually spot it, he set it down six inches behind where his foot was. What is the logic there? Are they drinking on the job? That's not at all how it is supposed to work. 

Again, I'm not blaming it on an anti-GB conspiracy. I just think refs are doing a horrendous job with the details, seemingly all the time.

It never used to bother me, and kinda like @incognito_man, I was always somewhat impressed with how well they did their job.  Lately, their mistakes are becoming glaringly and increasingly obvious, and now I’m sitting here screaming at my TV, “terrible spot!”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

It never used to bother me, and kinda like @incognito_man, I was always somewhat impressed with how well they did their job.  Lately, their mistakes are becoming glaringly and increasingly obvious, and now I’m sitting here screaming at my TV, “terrible spot!”

I've brought it up a few times, but NFL officiating really started to crater after they went an entire season protesting the DPI reviews by never (almost never?) overturning a single call/no-call despite them missing several obvious ones and received basically no punishment from the league for it.

They need full time refs and better technical standards for officials. It's kind of wild that, in a league where the average of a player is 26, the average age of their refs is 51. That being said, the NFL will never get that past the union.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

4 years ago when Packers lost to 49ers in the playoffs, it felt like Packers didn't even belong in that game.

2 years ago, it felt like the end of an era.

This year feels like they're just getting started.

Well said

54 minutes ago, Striker said:

Last night really was like a light version of the 2014 NFCG. If one of those things that happened (let's also add Love's two picks, the miss to Aaron Jones) the Packers likely win.

I see what you’re getting at but I think it was a lot like the wild card game back in 2014. Think our d played pretty solid overall and dropped some interceptions that could have sealed the game.