49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

21 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I agree with the observation that our DBs don't seem to make as many plays as they should. However, I'm not convinced that is Barry's fault. I'm suspicious he's actually covered up bad talent there. 

I'm not at all convinced that Savage and Stokes development is on Barry any more than it's on them. Especially the latter. I'm very open to the idea that Savage was misused, however.

I definitely don't blame anything that happened with Jaire on Barry. Not a big fan of Jaire. I'm not sure why he gets such a pass on here. He's living off past performance (he had success under Barry, too, and I doubt Barry has done anything to reduce his effectiveness).

I don't trust many people's opinions of Barry on here because it's so blatantly obvious many many people are not remotely objective. They refuse to acknowledge reality, so it makes anything they say on the topic questionable. 

There's only a handful of people on here who are willing to acknowledge his success when he has it. So when THEY are critical, I listen a lot more to them.

the reality is that Barry schemes make it easy to create mis matches, his zone scheme assure that our best CB will be lined up on decoy receivers, that our ILB's will be lined up against there best receivers, that we can be sure of because that is what we see, over and over until Lafleur steps in, or a player gets so upset we have to hold team meetings, I mean how many players have to revolt?

how many times do you need to see 3rd and 8 and our CB's lined up 10 yrds from the LOS, Joes cushion coverage is easily responsible for 3 or 4 losses this season, he better not be back

• Like 2

My 20,00ft view is that in previous years the 49ers had the Packers number and it looked it on the field.

Now the Packers look like they can compete against anyone at the highest level. They have a lot of young starters who should improve over the next year or two and La Fleur's scheming seems able to deal with Shanahan's game plans. Future clashes between these teams should be fun..........and the Packers do play the 49ers in 2024. Definitely a game to circle on the calendar.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

Observations from the bottom of the bourbon bottle.....

I don't mind losing when you can tip your hat to the other team and know that they are just simply better than we are.  That did not happen in this game.

In the past, we've lost to San Fran and it felt, different.  Like the loss was soul crushing.  This time?  It felt like they got lucky that time ran out.  The gap between us and them simply does not exist.  It is, a sliver.  

Our failed 4'th down QB sneak, or push.  Why?  I don't mind the call, but hasn't MLF traditionally gone for the jugular there?  Instead we go to a sneak, and we needed more than an inch or two.  I despised the call.  

Carlson missing from the left hash is as predictable as Carlson missing from the left hash.  

Joe Barry kept it close.  I'm still opposed to bringing him back, but I am no longer violently opposed to bringing him back.

Over a minute left, three timeouts.  I thought we had that.  Big time.  All we needed was the first, first down.  And we got it.  Should have been rolling.  Then we made a very, very dumb throw.  With all the good and great that Love has shown, he needs to push that gambler in him down deeper.  There's a time to try to that throw, 4'th down or something like that, but he's got to learn from that throw.  He simply has to.

So, what do we need to go up a level as a team?  Time and reps.  Those are the first things that we need and we will get them.  I'd argue we need another ILB, could be McDuffie, but ideally someone better.  We need a safety.  Savage can even come back, but we need a better one back there.  And this defense really need LVN to take a large step forward this off-season.  Large.  

Offense doesn't need much besides backup draft picks and more reps together.  And a second or third string RB.

This is all very doable.  

Congrats to this great, young team.  It was a very entertaining and exciting year.  Get ready for next year and lets build on this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Observations from the bottom of the bourbon bottle.....

I don't mind losing when you can tip your hat to the other team and know that they are just simply better than we are.  That did not happen in this game.

In the past, we've lost to San Fran and it felt, different.  Like the loss was soul crushing.  This time?  It felt like they got lucky that time ran out.  The gap between us and them simply does not exist.  It is, a sliver.  

Our failed 4'th down QB sneak, or push.  Why?  I don't mind the call, but hasn't MLF traditionally gone for the jugular there?  Instead we go to a sneak, and we needed more than an inch or two.  I despised the call.  

Carlson missing from the left hash is as predictable as Carlson missing from the left hash.  

Joe Barry kept it close.  I'm still opposed to bringing him back, but I am no longer violently opposed to bringing him back.

Over a minute left, three timeouts.  I thought we had that.  Big time.  All we needed was the first, first down.  And we got it.  Should have been rolling.  Then we made a very, very dumb throw.  With all the good and great that Love has shown, he needs to push that gambler in him down deeper.  There's a time to try to that throw, 4'th down or something like that, but he's got to learn from that throw.  He simply has to.

So, what do we need to go up a level as a team?  Time and reps.  Those are the first things that we need and we will get them.  I'd argue we need another ILB, could be McDuffie, but ideally someone better.  We need a safety.  Savage can even come back, but we need a better one back there.  And this defense really need LVN to take a large step forward this off-season.  Large.  

Offense doesn't need much besides backup draft picks and more reps together.  And a second or third string RB.

This is all very doable.  

Congrats to this great, young team.  It was a very entertaining and exciting year.  Get ready for next year and lets build on this.

They need to figure their sneaks out. Love barely made the second one thanks to landing on the 49ers player.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coachbuns said:

True enough.  However, letting them convert 60% of 3rd downs was .. letting them march down the field to win it was .. playing soft for 2/3 of the year losing way more games than he won was.  Each year Barry "seems" to figure it out on defense to save his job.  Dammit, figure it out at the start of the year!  He has proven nothing but he's a late learner .. just enough to save his butt.  

I think he is just defending Barry on this specific game.  Barry didn't call for the defense to drop INTs, or to allow broken tackles.  The players did that themselves.  Playoff or back against the wall Barry has been very good.  But I think comfortable Joe Barry has cost us too many games against the likes of the Giants and Jets of the league.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think he is just defending Barry on this specific game.  Barry didn't call for the defense to drop INTs, or to allow broken tackles.  The players did that themselves.  Playoff or back against the wall Barry has been very good.  But I think comfortable Joe Barry has cost us too many games against the likes of the Giants and Jets of the league.

Add the 49ers to the list of teams he has cost us against.   While he was fine early, the results on the key drive of the game were clear.    He went back to rushing 4 and playing soft giving them the underneath stuff.  All that strategy did was give up the game winning TD and burn clock.

The DL was absolutely gassed on that last series, but he gave them no help.   

What did SF do at the key moment? They sent added pressure and made Love uncomfortable.   Barry sent nobody and gave up the underneath so Purdy could get comfortable.  When the going gets tough Barry folds.  Every time.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Striker said:

They need to figure their sneaks out. Love barely made the second one thanks to landing on the 49ers player.

I didn’t like the rushed snap to sneak.  I like the sneak, but if you’re gonna rush up, survey your options first

Edited by LacyIsGood
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The difference with the Seattle game is that 8 different things had to go wrong in just a 4 minute span. I don’t think there’s any comparison. 

Yeah....but you just made a comparison.