49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

26 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Add the 49ers to the list of teams he has cost us against.   While he was fine early, the results on the key drive of the game were clear.    He went back to rushing 4 and playing soft giving them the underneath stuff.  All that strategy did was give up the game winning TD and burn clock.

The DL was absolutely gassed on that last series, but he gave them no help.   

What did SF do at the key moment? They sent added pressure and made Love uncomfortable.   Barry sent nobody and gave up the underneath so Purdy could get comfortable.  When the going gets tough Barry folds.  Every time.

They let the 9ers score on that last play.  We had a better chance to win, or tie, if we got the ball back with time.  

Holding this game against Barry is seeing what you want to see.  Getting shredded by the Panthers is something you hold against him.  Giving up back-to-back NFC players of the week is something you hold against him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They let the 9ers score on that last play.  We had a better chance to win, or tie, if we got the ball back with time.  

Holding this game against Barry is seeing what you want to see.  Getting shredded by the Panthers is something you hold against him.  Giving up back-to-back NFC players of the week is something you hold against him.

He should have been aggressive much sooner that drive.  Allowing high percentage underneath throws in a 4 down situation against a team like that? Bad odds

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Barry did the same thing against the Cowboys a week ago, and they scored 10 points and if they had more time would have probably beat us, lets not forget the Niners lost Deebo for over half the game, so who knows if the Niners wouldn't have exposed Barry's defense sooner.

pass rush was our ticket to stopping the Niners, when we needed it most Barry plays prevent nickel and let them march down the field just as we've seen the last 3 years, Lafleur needs to cut ties.

5 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

He should have been aggressive much sooner that drive.  Allowing high percentage underneath throws in a 4 down situation against a team like that? Bad odds

I agree with this and heard Romo say something similarly last night during BUF/KC game. 

You might as well play really aggressively. Best case you stop them and win. Worst case you don't stop them but they hit a big play and leave time on the clock for your offense.

Death by a thousand cuts is the absolute worst option.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Again, I think you are just seeing what you want to see.  We are pretty much all in agreement that it is time for Barry to be gone.  That doesn't mean that every single thing that he does is wrong.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Again, I think you are just seeing what you want to see.  We are pretty much all in agreement that it is time for Barry to be gone.  That doesn't mean that every single thing that he does is wrong.  

Yes it does :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Josh Meyers was pretty damn good the 2nd half of the year 

Yes he was. I was somewhat critical of him early in the season but you didn't hear his name much at all later on. 

Excellent sign if he's hitting his stride and another testament to the OL coaching this team continues to have.

Impressive stuff. QB and OL development is the backbone of this organization.

If only we could add defense to the mix...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Josh Meyers was pretty damn good the 2nd half of the year 

He’s gotten past some health issues which is big, but he definitely is not having the obvious metal lapses that would lead to a whiff or two every game. He’s a massive center and when he gets out in space, he’s quick to get to his spots and can maul. Sometimes it seems like his eyes move before his feet and he gets tangled up in bad steps but I think he’s limiting that and showed improvement in the 2nd half, as you said. 

*it is interesting that he’s still listed as C/G on the Packers’ roster. He will remain in the middle for consistency sake but we will need interior linemen and someone with at least back up C capabilities, especially if Runyan walks. How we address OLine is a pretty big piece of this offseason. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes he was. I was somewhat critical of him early in the season but you didn't hear his name much at all later on. 

Excellent sign if he's hitting his stride and another testament to the OL coaching this team continues to have.

Impressive stuff. QB and OL development is the backbone of this organization.

If only we could add defense to the mix...

I’m more than happy to go with him next year. 

Defensively I’ll keep saying idt we’re far off. Secondary is the major on-field issue we need to address. 

Jaire is Jaire

I think Stokes and Valentine are two guys worth investing in their development. I don’t think it’s smart completely giving up on Stokes. 

I’m fine with Savage, and idt the other safety affected us that much . 

Get a nickel and another boundary and I think personnel wise we’re in fine position. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If they were letting them score, then why no timeout to save the 30 seconds?

Losing this game was bigger than just Joe Barry.   That doesn't change the fact that when times get crucial, he fell back to what has been the problem for his tenure.   Rush 4 with soft zones behind it.   Less edge players available so they were gassed.  Blow the lead while leaving minimal time on the clock for an answer.   It was everything that has been wrong about his defense.  

Did you honestly doubt for a second that we would give up a TD on that drive?  It was as sure as death and taxes.   Failing to see that this was just a microcosm of Joe Barry as a DC is part of the problem.  MLF has had the same issue now for over a year. 

• Like 3

A great performance late in the year for the whole team. As most of the forum thought this was about a rebuild and growing these kids. Few of us expected the playoffs let alone and win and to push the NFC number one seed to the brink. While the early season left most of us wondering what we had by the end of the season allot of those questions seem answered. 

So without getting into much it's been a fun ride and in my own view of the season we got more out of it than expected. Some great signs and honestly this last 3rd of the season and the playoffs was a bonus. 

Will be exciting to see what Gute and MLF can do this offseason and if the Pack can roll over this momentum into next year with what's going to be a much much tougher division for us. The Kitty's are no joke, the Bears played better and will likely have a new number 1 QB and well the Queens who knows still a solid team without a QB.

Really fun year, onto the draft and such.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Striker said:

They need to figure their sneaks out. Love barely made the second one thanks to landing on the 49ers player.

Yeah, this has seemingly been a forever-problem for us.  Philly failed on one in their playoff loss, it was like the first time they'd failed in ages.  We fail routinely.  Drafting Dillon was supposed to be one of the solutions, but he's gotten stacked at times too.  When we spent a 2nd round pick on a big center, I'd though maybe big guy will always drive the line forward a little, and resolve our short-yardage failure, but no.  I'd hoped Love would be some super-athletic QB, and maybe excel on sneaks?  But while Love has a million qualities, I don't think he's very quick in sneaks, or explosive for darting into a small window, or driving his legs, or leaping over the top or whatever. 

Are our linemen simply not built for short-yardage? Too big, can't get low and drive?  Just all guys drafted to pass-block, or to movement block, but short-yardage power-blocking just isn't in their toolbox?  

Could practice help, I wonder?  Hard to practice short-yardage stuff without people hitting hard and colliding hard.  I don't think MLF likes any practice with pushing and smashing involved.  So I can't imagine he invests hardly any practice time on these sorts of plays.  Camp is for learning the playbook, not learning to sneak; and once the season begins contact in practice is probably about over.  I'd be curious to see how other teams practice those types of plays, and if it's any different from what we do?  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah .. it wasn't always terrible on D, but I think Barry by nature is a passive minded coach.  We need to ramp things up on that side of the ball, and to do that we need a DC with a much more aggressive nature.  Players thrive on that aggressive mindset.  That final drive for San Fran was a microcosm of what has been wrong on D in GB for a long time.  We're playing D like we have a 10 point lead instead of a 4 point lead.  They let them move right down the field without making anything tough on anyone.  That seemed to happen a ton this year in critical moments.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}