Raiders expected to hire Tom Telesco as GM

NYRaider

He wouldn't have been my top choice. Most fans usually just wanna hire someone from a winning team and then hope for the best. Hiring someone with no track record gives us all hope, usually its a false hope. But with Telesco its just seems like an overall solid option. After multiple failed first time GMs he wanted someone with experience the hire doesn't surprise me.

14 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Going to copy/paste a Reddit comment since it summed it up perfectly (u/CorruptedBlitty)

11 years

3 coaches

3 playoff appearances

2-3 in those runs

Never won the division

Only 4 seasons above .500 while having a franchise QB for all of them

This post reminds me of similar posts I made about Ron Rivera in the Commanders forum after his hire, specifically the point about him having as many winning seasons as Bruce Allen did here, over the same amount of time.  

Even if you accept some of the arguments about head coaches, he’s the one hiring those head coaches.  That’s a giant run of mediocrity just to get another job like that.  

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

He wouldn't have been my top choice. Most fans usually just wanna hire someone from a winning team and then hope for the best. Hiring someone with no track record gives us all hope, usually its a false hope. But with Telesco its just seems like an overall solid option. After multiple failed first time GMs he wanted someone with experience the hire doesn't surprise me.

Overall solid is too generous for what Telesco has done. Solidly below average is more appropriate. And hey, if that's what the Raiders are looking for, then that's great and that's what they got. 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I already feel bad for Antonio Pierce. 

If I'm a Raiders fan, I'd refuse to go to the games until Davis sells.

That's the issue. He gave the fans what they wanted twice after being Highly vocal to him at games. He didn't do his  diligence in the HC process despite there being better candidates than AP available. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

Rolando McClain was the obvious pick, but yeah the others all stink.

Wasn't Taylor Mays in that class? I'm actually impressed he wasn't the Raiders first round pick on athletic ability, big hits and USC. I know Taylor Mays eventually made his way to being a Raider, but I'm pretty sure there was a storyline that Pete Carroll took Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays.

He seems like a much better "collector of talent" than actual "builder of a team".  His rosters always seem to have a lot of "big names" and "big talents" but underperform and never really live up to the billing as a unit.

Curious hiring.  But i guess the Raiders are betting on that approach being sound, just held back by terrible coaching and ridiculously bad injury luck.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Overall solid is too generous for what Telesco has done. Solidly below average is more appropriate. And hey, if that's what the Raiders are looking for, then that's great and that's what they got. 

How many GMs are actually great? Most guys that are in the job for a long all have the same resume. Howie Roseman has tons misses too. Its the draft, they're trying to predict the future, its so hard. There is a reason everyone picked the Chargers to win the west every year, it was because the teams Telesco put together. Not that Telesco doesn't deserve blame but it seemed like the Chargers biggest issue over the years has been bad coaching. The Telesco and Pierce era will come down to who is the QB. If they don't draft a QB and develop him, we'll probably be back here in a couple years.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 4:50 PM, big_palooka said:

Mark is the Tommy Boy of owners

LOL Nailed that one...Because he's Al's son he's given a LOT of leeway...

As far as the hire it's underwhelming...Mark is learning on the fly.

Reggie McKenzie was a good hire at the time to help clean up the cap mess we were in and lacking 1st round picks in that time with Seymour and Palmer trades so an older team. He reached A LOT on projection picks and Mack/Carr fell into his lap like how Telesco gets guys. Telesco goes after high priced FA's where Reggie didn't. So we may be headed back to cap hell unless Telesco learned from his past experiences that lead to his firing.

Mike Mayock a draft guru on TV but probably limited because of Gruden having final say. Crosby was a hit in the 4th round but with so many wiffs with a lot of draft capital. At least AP won't be like Gruden. He'll advocate for who he wants but the GM usually outlasts the 1st coach and Telesco will draft with that in mind. 

Dave Ziegler traded a 1st and 2nd for an aging great WR in Adams. Many of us said he should have waited as we could have gotten him cheaper. Resigned Carr/Renfrow and Waller two of which were off the team before him and Renfrow benched behind a ton of WR's brought in and preferred by the coach at the time McDaniels. Ziegler probably would have been the best GM Mark has hired so far had he exercised the control that he was given instead of keeping his buddy McDaniels happy. Rumors after firing of wanting QB Stroud and McDaniels wanting Young so they don't make a move except to overpay Jimmy G and draft AOC who beats out Jimmy because he can throw it more than 15 yards...

So I guess Telesco was the right hire for Mark Davis at this time because of having GM experience. As long as he hits on the 1st round obvious picks we should be in better shape. If Kelly is on the team then letting him have more control in later rounds could also get him hired elsewhere and that leads to some more picks. If Telesco was limited by ownership with the Chargers then he'll have a lot more freedom with the Raiders. He's got a decade of experience and if he learned from his mistakes then we're in good enough hands for now. AP bringing in Lewis should help him learn quicker but as with every motivator HC you need to hit on your OC and DC. AP and Lewis will attract defensive coaches and AP will probably want a run heavy Offense. JJ McCarthy would make sense especially if we can sit him his rookie season and he's young enough that Telesco knows if AP doesn't work out he'll at least have a QB he drafted there for the next HC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raidersedge said:

How many GMs are actually great? Most guys that are in the job for a long all have the same resume. Howie Roseman has tons misses too. It’s the draft, they're trying to predict the future, its so hard. There is a reason everyone picked the Chargers to win the west every year, it was because the teams Telesco put together.

I mean, not many, but does that mean teams should shoot for that low bar since it’s hard to find amazing GMs? Meh. 

Also, hard to really give him credit for building (depthless, top heavy) rosters without blaming him for never constructing a team that was even consistently good. I’m not talking “couldn’t get over the hump” and win a SB, I mean be a contender at all. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:28 PM, Tank4Drake said:

Chargers roster was always fools gold on paper, I said it many times. Quinen Johnson has bust written all over him, JC Jackson was a terrible FA signing which I said the first day. 

I'm not buying the BS. Every team drafts bust like QJ. It's about hitting at high percentage. Everyone and their mom wanted JC. Why is everyone so excited about Harbaugh to Chargers? Because they had a stacked roster but bum coaches. Who built that stacked roster 

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I'm not buying the BS. Every team drafts bust like QJ. It's about hitting at high percentage. Everyone and their mom wanted JC. Why is everyone so excited about Harbaugh to Chargers? Because they had a stacked roster but bum coaches. Who built that stacked roster 

How is it stacked? 

They’ve got a little bit of top end talent, some of which I’m not going to hurt myself patting Telesco on the back over (Bosa, Derwin, Slater, Herbert). Ekeler and Allen were nice finds, like 10 years ago. Where’s all this loaded talent? 

Not saying they’re devoid of it like last year’s Bears or something, but they’re a team with a couple good players and absolutely no depth. Who was the last FA signing that worked out there? I guess Gerald Everett, sort of? Four re-signed draft picks outside of the first round. 

People are excited about Harbaugh because he’s an established coach joining a young, talented QB that’s routinely fallen short of expectations. Who built those teams? Coaching was a problem, obviously, but you’re making it sound like this dude’s built teams like SF or Philly. He absolutely hasn’t. 

• Like 1