Browns OC search

ReggieCamp

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Feels like this hire was made for Watson. Dorsey knew how to utilize Josh Allen, and I'm guessing we're hoping to use Watson in somewhat similar ways.

He really didn’t though. At the beginning of the year it felt like Josh was out of and rhythm. Dorsey would take the ball out of his hands on short yardage and the redzone.

First game after Dorsey was gone, Allen on the sidelines after a TD drive “I feel like I’m (blank)ing back”.

As long as he isn’t calling plays it shouldn’t hinder the Browns.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

He really didn’t though. At the beginning of the year it felt like Josh was out of and rhythm. Dorsey would take the ball out of his hands on short yardage and the redzone.

First game after Dorsey was gone, Allen on the sidelines after a TD drive “I feel like I’m (blank)ing back”.

As long as he isn’t calling plays it shouldn’t hinder the Browns.

What about last year? Seems like Buffalo's offense was perfectly fine, but I obviously don't know as much as you do about the Bills.

But yeah, like I said, this is still Stefanski's offense. But I'm happy to have a guy who's had some degree of success as QB coach/OC who can bring in new ideas to incorporate into Stef's offense.

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

What about last year? Seems like Buffalo's offense was perfectly fine, but I obviously don't know as much as you do about the Bills.

But yeah, like I said, this is still Stefanski's offense. But I'm happy to have a guy who's had some degree of success as QB coach/OC who can bring in new ideas to incorporate into Stef's offense.

Numbers wise the O was good if not great in 2022 but everything still felt difficult. The playoff loss to Cincy, the O could get nothing going.

I think my biggest issue was the beginning of this year not having Kincaid involved at all when healthy. Both he and the run game improved tremendously once Brady took over. 

Dorsey was/is extremely well liked though. He’s certainly a players coach in that regard which is always a plus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Why have a running QB if you're not going to utilize him as such? It'll suck if he gets injured, but that's a risk we need to take.

Browns didn’t trade for Watson because of his rushing ability. He was suppose to be an elite passer. If they are getting an OC to capitalize on his running ability it’s already a failure.

lamar was a great example today. He couldn’t pass worth a damn today and the running ability wasn’t saving him.

browns need his shoulder more than his feet

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Browns didn’t trade for Watson because of his rushing ability. He was suppose to be an elite passer. If they are getting an OC to capitalize on his running ability it’s already a failure.

lamar was a great example today. He couldn’t pass worth a damn today and the running ability wasn’t saving him.

browns need his shoulder more than his feet

Well yeah. But dual threat quarterbacks are more valuable because…they can gash you running. Give me those types of dudes all day over the pocket passers. No1 is saying they shouldn’t lean into his passing. But if we are in the gun as a base, QB runs have to be in your system. Watson ran a lot in Houston, which made him more effective from the pocket. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Well yeah. But dual threat quarterbacks are more valuable because…they can gash you running. Give me those types of dudes all day over the pocket passers. No1 is saying they shouldn’t lean into his passing. But if we are in the gun as a base, QB runs have to be in your system. Watson ran a lot in Houston, which made him more effective from the pocket. 

Yeah, we traded for him because he's a legit dual threat QB who can throw from the pocket but also rack up big yards with his legs. Obviously we want him to be more cautious when running the ball and not take unnecessary hits, but wanting him to not run the ball would be taking away one of his biggest strengths and partly what made him so good in Houston.

I want him to use his legs to stress a defense, not play RB.

use bootlegs/fakes to make defensive end play the boot and open a cutback lane on the ground.  Use RPOs.  Use the occasional QB sweep.  Scramble when the defense gets man heavy and everyone has their backs turned.

Do all of that stuff every game.  Just make sure he understands he needs to get down or get out 95% of the time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DawgX said:

That was what I was thinking, I think Stefanski is probably looking to incorporate his passing concepts into the offense. Just from memory I know the Bills routinely threatened those safeties constantly with their deep passing game.

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

That was what I was thinking, I think Stefanski is probably looking to incorporate his passing concepts into the offense. Just from memory I know the Bills routinely threatened those safeties constantly with their deep passing game.

Yup. They were really good at putting safeties in binds deep down the field. Our current passing game is TE hitches and....well....TE screens?

• Like 3