Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Paul Chryst is my vote to replace MLF

Barry Alvarez for Barry

Early on, I wanted young LaFleur to hire as many old experienced coaches as he could. I was happy when we brought in guys like Gray and Bissacia, not psyched for Drayton etc. now that coach has a little salt and pepper in his beard and has coached his way out of AR’s shadow, I trust him to hold the position with enough gravitas to command respect to make the tough decisions. I won’t be mad if we get a wiley old vet but think it’s time for an inspired young DC who can set a tone and get these young guys running through walls. 

Edited by Refugee

Missing from the voting list - To be fair the only major names you've ommitted from the poll is Shane Bowen and probably Brandon Staley. Seriously, cannot ignore Bowen. There's a very good likelihood that he will be interviewed, just 37 years old and already has three years of NFL coordinating experience under Vrable and have worked with LaFleur before.

Connection with LaFleur either through previous working relationships, previous interviews and indirect links through coaches and friends he knows.
Jim Leonard (Free Agent) - Prior interview, from Wisconsin
Chris Harris (Titans) - Through Vrable & Bowen. Also a prior interviewee I believe
Shane Bowen (Titans) -  Worked together Titans. DC but I think he's free to interview and leave. Would be considered a "retread".
Marquand Manual (Jets) - Worked together Atlanta Falcons, through Saleh, Urbrich, Shanahan. Was not considered a coordinator candiate last time round and didn't get a sniff when the defensive back job opened up. Don't think LaFleur likes him.
Brandon Staley (Chargers) - Through McVay
Ejiro Evero (Carolina) - prior interview & worked together at Rams but is already a DC...lateral move may be blocked.
Johnny Holland (49ers) - Through Shanahan & worked together at Houston. Former Packer.
Aubrey Pleasant (Rams) - Worked together at Rams & Packers, Washington. He's from Wisconsin and both have history in the Michigan area.
Patrick Graham (Raiders) - through Pettine
Bobby Babich (Bills) - through Pettine
Jerry Gray (Atlanta) - Worked together at Packers
Jimmy Lake (Rams) - Through McVay
Mike Vrable (Titans) -  Former boss. Defensive coach but more culture guy than X and Os.
Chris Kiffin (Texans) - Prior interview, Bloodlines, Through Shanahan
Pat Fitzgerald (Free Agent) - Former HC interviewee, fall from grace makes him a possible interview option. Through Mark Murphy.
Marcus Freeman (Notre Dame) - Current Head Coach of Notre Dame, same team who LaFleur previously coached for.  Only 38 years old. Crossed paths with LaFleur way back in the day at Texans.
Chris Shula - Worked together at Rams, through McVay

No connection to LaFleur
Anthony Weaver (Ravens)
Chris Hewitt (Ravens)
Zach Orr (Ravens)
Jesse Minter (Michigan)
Al Harris (Cowboys)
Joe Whitt Jr (Cowboys)
Don Martindale (Giants)
Leslie Frazier (Bills)
Michael Hodges (New Orleans)
Mike Caldwell (Jacksonville)
Glenn Schumann (Georgia) - Interviewed for Eagles DC gig just recently so he might be open to the possibility of coaching in the NFL.

Dennard Wilson
Joe Cullen
Daniel Bullocks
Larry Foote
Ron Rivera
Bill Belichick

Out of the running
Eric Henderson - Through McVay
Vic Fangio (Miami)

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

I understand the attraction of having Belichick but thinking logically I can't see how he fits without undermining LaFleur. Also taking on Belichick salary on top of Basicca's and LaFleur's salaries is probably unpalatable for the management. Its also opening a can of worms. There's Matt Patrica....do you even want him anywhere near the organisation if Belichick insist on bringing him along? If Belichick somehow gets his grubby hands on the Packers head coach gig then we're seeing McDaniels here as well and undoing any culture that the Packers cultivated the past 20 years. Belichick is tempting but honestly I would have to say no.

I have a few criterias, not too old (Below 50), not a retread, smart, knowledgeable, likeable. I'm not really fussed over defence system as long he coaches with an aggressive mentality however I accept that sometimes its not always possible to find someone who tick all the boxes.

The ones I like the look of are Leonard, Weaver, Minter, Bowen, Evero, C.Harris. Technically Bowen and Evero are retreads but at least they are lightly tread.

I'm leery on Hewitt for some reason. He has been passed over for consideration for defensive coordinator openings and there's probably a good reason for that. McDonald got the DC job instead of him, Michigan had a choice of hiring either McDonald or Minter instead of him and he doesn't seem highly sought after in NFL circles. If McDonald leaves, Baltimore would probably try to hire Minter who just a few years ago was below Hewitt in the pecking order. Of course if Minter ends up with the Chargers or stick with Michigan then the coordinator job would probably be offered to Weaver, that is if he doesn't land a head coaching job first. That's why if were to consider Baltimore coaches then Weaver and Minter should be at the top of our list.

Edited by Chili

5 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Would be such a MLF hire lol 

This was my thinking as well.

I'm in pure "reading along" mode here. I know the type of defense I'd like to see....but dont have the background knowledge on which of these potential candidates can bring it. I'm also not gonna go stat-diving so I can form an opinion on a decision I have zero control over.

I'll just read along and see what washes up on the beach.

Staley...to me...based on my limited reading feels like a "comfortable" hire and not a swing for the fences. The little I've heard about his DC past...doesnt sound awe inspiring.

Outside of Minter/MI...is there another TOP college coach that would accept a leg up to the Big Time?

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

First one, not surprising. 

Ehhh, thought we weren't supposed to be interested.

Fangio style defense in play it looks like.

Not a big fan of Staley at DC, perhaps positional coach.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1