Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 hour ago, R T said:

We will see how it plays out, but the Packers have invested a lot of draft capital in defensive players to fit the 3-4 and some of these guys may now be square pegs for the round holes. Aaron Kampman was a Pro Bowl player for the Packers yet when Capers arrived, he was not a fit and a year later was a castoff. Hawk was probably a lesser player because of the change also. Same thing applied to Matthews when Pettine arrived. Does the same thing now happen with Gary with a 4-man front? Quay Walker now may have been a wasted pick. Van Ness may be a better player with his hand in the dirt so that is a positive. There is a cost for these types of changes.   

Pretty much all our front 7 would be better in a 4-3

Gary and LVN are both 270+ and built for their hand in the dirt 

Wyatt and Clark are prototypical 3Ts

Brooks plays like a big strong side DE in the Reggie White mold(not saying he's anywhere near as good)

Quay is athletic enough to play Sam or Will 

One of the things that drove me mad with our drafting on the defensive side of the ball was it seemed we were drafting players that fit a 4-3 more than a 3-4.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Gute and MLF have earned a ton of trust in their decision-making.  Two smart, thoughtful, thorough guys.  I trust their thoughtfulness, thoroughness, and process in making this decision.  

Obviously that doesn't mean it will work out, or that a new coach can make guys better than their actual talent-and-brains enables.  

But yeah, when there is an unexpected decision, it's good to listen and try to understand why MLF/Gute made it.  I think it will be fun to hear MLF talk about this, and Gute if he does.  

But yeah, given their record of good decisions lately, I'm going to assume they made a reasonable, rational, and good decision here as well, until/unless there is evidence to the contrary.  Wishing Gute, MLF, Hafley, and the team all kinds of success moving forward!

this is why I trusted Love from the jump

they didn't HAVE to go with him. That they did, and my trust in their evaluation of him, was enough for me to believe he was a player.

• Like 2

Remember guys bagging on MLF and how his offense sucked at TN.  Dunno listened to his presser sounds like a solid football coach.  Probably going to be some growing pains on D next year.  Similar to the Offense this year.  More veteran players so hopefully they will pick up the new scheme fast.  Not expecting immediate results but hope to see progress thoughout the year and have the Defense hitting it's stride by the end of the season.  

Like what I have heard so far and won't make any early judgements give the guy a season and see what he can do.  Gotta expect some ups and downs early on.  If he hits it right out of the gate awesome but think that's unrealistic.  Says all the right things and think our players will buy in.  

• Like 1

This does explain why there was so little news out of 1265 about their DC interviews.  If Hafney was their target all along, and they were rebuffed by the BC coach it would have been significantly worse than the Leonhard situation (a thing they most likely took several lessons from.)

5 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Pretty much all our front 7 would be better in a 4-3

Gary and LVN are both 270+ and built for their hand in the dirt 

Wyatt and Clark are prototypical 3Ts

Brooks plays like a big strong side DE in the Reggie White mold(not saying he's anywhere near as good)

Quay is athletic enough to play Sam or Will 

One of the things that drove me mad with our drafting on the defensive side of the ball was it seemed we were drafting players that fit a 4-3 more than a 3-4.

because we played a 4-2.

The current crop of coaches isn't like the old guard. You don't have coaches following just one guy and tree. They move between schemes and systems more and have a much wider pool of people they know from one team or another.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

that shanny/mcvay/la fleur/saleh/mcdaniels super buddies club keeps growing

These guys spend 12 hour days with each other at minimum. It’s not a surprise when they bring in people they are comfortable with. At one point 3/4 of MM’s offensive staff were Pittsburgh guys. AR used to joke that he could pull off that accent because it’s all he heard day in day out. A lot of those guys in the Shanny circle have proven to be damn good coaches. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2