Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

31 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Feels like a 2 point stance vs a 3 point stance should be more of a what allows the player to perform best from.  I am not really sure there is a consistent advantage of an EDGE player being in a 2 vs 3 point stance.  

2 point gives you better vision of the backfield and gives the option of dropping into coverage. 3 point enables you to explode out of your stance. Aaron Kampman had a tough time going from 3 point to 2 point because he was such a technician at that. Pretty sure Gary and Van Ness played 3 point in college so going from 2 to 3 won't be much of a transition for them. 

• Like 1

We'll never know. I mean hell, we didn't even know they were interviewing Hafley in the first place lol. At the very least, I'm excited that we are going into next season with a new voice leading the defense and someone who will be eager to make a name for themselves at the NFL level. That alone already makes this a more inspiring hire than when LaFleur hired Joe Barry. Whether it works out or not is TBD, but I'm all for taking a swing like this

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

This is something fans must always keep in the back of their minds. For many (not all, but many) GB has to financially overreach not just for players, but for coaches, to woo them when there are equitable opportunities elsewhere, I’m sure.

Not saying that’s what happened here, but it’s possible 

You don’t see Power 5 HCs leave for NFL coordinator jobs very often.  Makes this feel less of a backup plan and more like one of MLF’s top choices all along.  How often do NFL HCs even put out feelers to P5 HCs?   

• Like 3

"Hafley's hiring will likely mean some changes on the defensive staff. LaFleur has told the assistants they are free to explore other options, a source said, but he probably will have to sit down with Hafley and find out how many coaches he wants to bring in from outside."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/01/31/report-packers-hire-boston-college-coach-jeff-hafley-as-defensive-coordinator/72413229007/

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MVP21 said:

"Hafley's hiring will likely mean some changes on the defensive staff. LaFleur has told the assistants they are free to explore other options, a source said, but he probably will have to sit down with Hafley and find out how many coaches he wants to bring in from outside."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/01/31/report-packers-hire-boston-college-coach-jeff-hafley-as-defensive-coordinator/72413229007/

i think it's really dumb to bring in a DC and keep virtually the same staff under him. i hope there is significant turnover. we need new ideas. let jeff bring in his guys

• Like 1

this could be the wine at this point.... but im so ******* excited for our guys to run this D. Minor worried about Brooks finding a home past depth rusher. Not even super concerned about the S/ILB. Think Owens and Nixon can find homes here pretty easy. Highkey worried about Nickel. but that was always, think Carrington should get a shot inside if Stokes figures out the other OCB.

Edited by HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i think it's really dumb to bring in a DC and keep virtually the same staff under him. i hope there is significant turnover. we need new ideas. let jeff bring in his guys

But of Olivadotti(ILB)-Downard(DB)-Rebrovich(pass rush)-Williams(pass game coord)-Montgomery(DL/Running game coord)

Who HAS to go?     Think the DBs have always been pretty well coached and ready to go. but Haf specializes in DBs so maybe he wants his own guys there.  Montgomery has the DL in a solid spot when theyre deployed right. I think the pass rush has been solid through a couple styles now, but the way Haf creates pressure is a different beast than Barrys version.

I dont know nearly enough about what goes on behind doors. Obviously I support letting the DC bring in his guys, but who do we think really just isnt getting enough out of the guys? 

I'd think it's Olivadotti and Montgomery are out. for his guys and then Haf just takes an interest more in the DB room. 

for the 4-3 vs 3-4 guys. Just watch the Miami game. There's for sure 3-4 elements in Hafs game, like thats the muddiest part of defenses. 4-3 vs 3-4 hardly matters AT ALL for Haf. he's borrowing the best from both worlds.

This game is also just a showcase of how BC just didnt have the dawgs to hang with the top of The ACC teams even.

Clinkscales gets picked apart. 38 is a grocery bagger. The DL get destroyed. 31 got erased from the world. literally cannot find this guy on the internet. For real search 31 McGillis BC tell me whooooo tf is this guy? Apparently the ghost of a guy hwo died in 1991.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

But of Olivadotti(ILB)-Downard(DB)-Rebrovich(pass rush)-Williams(pass game coord)-Montgomery(DL/Running game coord)

Who HAS to go?     Think the DBs have always been pretty well coached and ready to go. but Haf specializes in DBs so maybe he wants his own guys there.  Montgomery has the DL in a solid spot when theyre deployed right. I think the pass rush has been solid through a couple styles now, but the way Haf creates pressure is a different beast than Barrys version.

I dont know nearly enough about what goes on behind doors. Obviously I support letting the DC bring in his guys, but who do we think really just isnt getting enough out of the guys? 

I'd think it's Olivadotti and Montgomery are out. for his guys and then Haf just takes an interest more in the DB room. 

i've always thought Montgomery is a good coach, and Downard did a decent job with an awful room of safeties. maybe keeping those 2 or 1 of them isn't the worst idea. definitely want Hafley to sit down with all these guys and see if there's something worth keeping, but it should be HIS call