Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

12 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Word is that he didn’t get the Falcons gig bcuz he pressed Blank for control over personnel which was not going to happen.  If he wouldn’t take a HC job straight up, it’s really difficult to see him taking a DC gig.  I guess it will depend on badly he wants to coach next year. 

It's worth mentioning that ATL was the only team (out of seven) that even interviewed Belichick for their open HC spot.  He has misjudged how many organizations would even consider giving him the kind of team control he's looking for.  If he was 10 years younger, maybe they would.  At 71?  Nope.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The best I can think of is Gunther Cunningham.  But I would be lying if I said I remember how his defenses fared.  I just know that he was DC for the Chiefs, then HC for the Chiefs, then came back as DC for the Chiefs.

pronounced "goon-ter" right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's worth mentioning that ATL was the only team (out of seven) that even interviewed Belichick for their open HC spot.  He has misjudged how many organizations would even consider giving him the kind of team control he's looking for.  If he was 10 years younger, maybe they would.  At 71?  Nope.

Not saying you are wrong about anything.

Just expanding.

At his age and with his resume, it is really a surprise that he wouldn't interview a bunch of places?  Odds are his agent talked to everyone to let them know what Bill would want in order to even interview.  Others weren't even open to the idea of giving him the control he would require, so there were no interviews.

The man is old, he's done it his way and it's worked.  Can't blame him for not wanting to change.  Also?  Can't blame owners for not wanting to change to acquire him.

It is just kind of an "it is what it is" thing for now.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not saying you are wrong about anything.

Just expanding.

At his age and with his resume, it is really a surprise that he wouldn't interview a bunch of places?  Odds are his agent talked to everyone to let them know what Bill would want in order to even interview.  Others weren't even open to the idea of giving him the control he would require, so there were no interviews.

The man is old, he's done it his way and it's worked.  Can't blame him for not wanting to change.  Also?  Can't blame owners for not wanting to change to acquire him.

It is just kind of an "it is what it is" thing for now.

I suppose all I'm saying is that the "shock" of Belichick not finding a HC job in this cycle isn't really shocking at all.  His requirements are simply beyond what most organizations are willing to accommodate.  The era of "one guy runs everything" is pretty much over in the NFL.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

Bill is still a great coach, but he’s an awful GM and wouldn’t hire him if that’s what he wants. 

I’d be happy with Staley. He had a lot of success with LA. I hope it’s not just because of Donald/Ramsey but id guess not. We have a lot of talent as well. Plus, if he does well , I doubt he gets another shot at a HC. It’ll probably take a long long time. 

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The thing about Staley is he's a bit of an unknown at DC. He only did it for one year, and had a great year. 

We also know his defense has been awful as a HC. Are there any examples of good DC -> bad defense as HC -> good DC again out there?

with two HOF type players, with the Chargers he had talent and didn't produce, all the Fangio knockoffs are the same, with excellent pass rush they do pretty good, take some of the pass rush away and his defenses just like all the Fangio models wilt yrds and points, ya have to remember Aaron Donald had over 100 total pass rush pressures in 2020, he, imho is why Staley had a great defense, jmo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I suppose all I'm saying is that the "shock" of Belichick not finding a HC job in this cycle isn't really shocking at all.  His requirements are simply beyond what most organizations are willing to accommodate.  The era of "one guy runs everything" is pretty much over in the NFL.

right, Bill is about the last of those guys, just to much to handle, game is to complex now for just one head guy, I think it might be over for Belichick, not only does he want control, he wants to be paid well, he left the Pats with 25 mil. walking money, unless he takes a new job he keeps all of it, why take some ol DC gig and lose that, possibly a free consulting job for a friend, I could see that, basically a part time gig he can do from his kitchen table, maybe some under the table scratch Kraft would never hear about, who knows

22 minutes ago, turf toe said:

with two HOF type players, with the Chargers he had talent and didn't produce, all the Fangio knockoffs are the same, with excellent pass rush they do pretty good, take some of the pass rush away and his defenses just like all the Fangio models wilt yrds and points, ya have to remember Aaron Donald had over 100 total pass rush pressures in 2020, he, imho is why Staley had a great defense, jmo.

What talent?

James is fine, don’t think he’s a difference maker anymore. 

Bosa played 14 games in two years. 

Samuel Jr is a good player. 

Mack has been great for them. 

Other than that, it seems pretty below average talent wise 

14 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I agree, but at least in this case I feel he has the resume to back it up 

this resume?

•Wisconsin (2016) Defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2017–2022) Defensive coordinator & defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2022) Interim head coach

•Illinois (2023) Senior football analyst

Ehhh feels like a lot of wishful thinking by Badgers fans wanting him in GB in the poll. 

• Like 1

🤞🤞🤞

Jane Slater

@SlaterNFL

The Chicago Bears will interview Joe Barry for the defensive coordinator position per sources. They are also meeting with #Bills AHC/DL coach Eric Washington for defensive coordinator per sources.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

this resume?

•Wisconsin (2016) Defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2017–2022) Defensive coordinator & defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2022) Interim head coach

•Illinois (2023) Senior football analyst

Ehhh feels like a lot of wishful thinking by Badgers fans wanting him in GB in the poll. 

Nevermind he was the best interview for LaFleur the first go around?

• Like 1