Will the Ravens ever win the Superbowl with Lamar Jackson?

Slingin' Sammy

No, the guy who will win his second MVP and came really close to going to the Superbowl HAS NO CHANCE AT ALL BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I DON'T LIKE HIM!! 
Man there's so many Lamar haters on this forum. Obviously he hasn't played well in the playoffs so far in his career but to act like he has no chance at a SB in future years is completely irrational. Jackson just turned 27 this year, he's still young enough to have a decent chance, especially with an organization as good as the Ravens. 

• Like 2

Lamar's an exceptional regular season QB but he has flaws that get taken advantage of in the playoffs

For all the progress that was made as a passer, his shortcomings once again came to light against the Chiefs.

I think it's unlikely they'll have a defense as good as this one again, but they'll remain in the playoff mix because Lamar's absolutely good enough to get them there consistently. But until he radically levels up as a pocket passer and proves he can do it when it matters most, I don't think you can expect him to win a superbowl. He is after all at absolute best, the 4th best QB in his conference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The goal line fumble just happens, it was a tremendous play by Sneed and if he doesn't chop it out that's a touchdown. 99% of the time the guy scores, this was the 1% where a defender made a great play.

And yeah, the safety tackled Likely well before the ball was intercepted but again it was a horrible throw. No arguing on the Justice Hill tripping call either.

I'm not here to blame the refs in any way. I do think Baltimore got what we all expected in terms of officiating, but it didn't decide or significantly impact the game. The offense straight up stunk because we decided to play weakness vs. strength for 60 minutes against the ******* Chiefs!

Is it an ego thing? Like we’re running 3 down linemen and you’re passing into that. I feel like Harbaugh would try to pull some shenanigans like that against his former boss. ‘Not only are we better than you, we’re also better than you at what you do best’ or something like that. Y’all were very chippy too, and had like five15 yard penalties, like you’re trying to set an edge to the point of being undisciplined

Reminds me of the Chiefs vs Bengals AFCC game a couple years back, and Mahomes frantically passing into 8 man coverages, and failing. But at least the Chiefs are known for passing, no matter what, the Ravens aren’t so it’s an odd choice. 

Edited by Chiefer

Sigh.

Watch, now this thread and the select group of trolls we have here are going to be the excuse all offseason/next year when we hear “if it’s Lamar that throws the pick, the world is on fire!”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

No, the guy who will win his second MVP and came really close to going to the Superbowl HAS NO CHANCE AT ALL BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I DON'T LIKE HIM!! 
Man there's so many Lamar haters on this forum. Obviously he hasn't played well in the playoffs so far in his career but to act like he has no chance at a SB in future years is completely irrational. Jackson just turned 27 this year, he's still young enough to have a decent chance, especially with an organization as good as the Ravens. 

Running backs have short shelf lives in the NFL.

I kid I kid. However, he isn't going to be the same QB when he loses another half step. He will face defenses like every other QB and it isn't nearly as easy as when everyone's first concern isn't you running and defensive lines are always coming at you instead of holding their ground in case you run. 

He'll still be mobile and can extend plays which is important but he is going to be a lot easier to rattle. He's only 27 but it's not the same as whatever generic QB being 27. His window is still open but it's never going to be all the way open again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Is it an ego thing? Like we’re running 3 down linemen and you’re passing into that. I feel like Harbaugh would try to pull some shenanigans like that against his former boss. ‘Not only are we better than you, we’re also better than you at what you do best’ or something like that. Y’all were very chippy too, and had like five15 yard penalties, like you’re trying to set an edge to the point of being undisciplined

Reminds me of the Chiefs vs Bengals AFCC game a couple years back, and Mahomes frantically passing into 8 man coverages, and failing. But at least the Chiefs are known for passing, no matter what, the Ravens aren’t so it’s an odd choice. 

No I think it's just a "They think we're gonna do X so we're actually do Y" kind of thing. That's the best I can come up with.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Lamar's an exceptional regular season QB but he has flaws that get taken advantage of in the playoffs

For all the progress that was made as a passer, his shortcomings once again came to light against the Chiefs.

I think it's unlikely they'll have a defense as good as this one again, but they'll remain in the playoff mix because Lamar's absolutely good enough to get them there consistently. But until he radically levels up as a pocket passer

What would that look like, though? If he radically levels up, is the expectation that his QB rating for the regular season would be 120 or higher? It was 103 this year. How good a passer would he have to be in the regular season to be considered capable of winning a Super Bowl?

and proves he can do it when it matters most, I don't think you can expect him to win a superbowl. He is after all at absolute best, the 4th best QB in his conference.

So what you are saying is, until he performs well in the AFC Championship game, he won't win the Super Bowl. Fascinating theory.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Running backs have short shelf lives in the NFL.

I kid I kid. However, he isn't going to be the same QB when he loses another half step. He will face defenses like every other QB and it isn't nearly as easy as when everyone's first concern isn't you running and defensive lines are always coming at you instead of holding their ground in case you run. 

He'll still be mobile and can extend plays which is important but he is going to be a lot easier to rattle. He's only 27 but it's not the same as whatever generic QB being 27. His window is still open but it's never going to be all the way open again. 

That's a guess that is not really supported by precedent or evidence. His improvement in the passing game is far outsripping his decline in athleticism. Like other mobile QBs Cunningham and Vick had their best seasons past 30, and Steve Young peaked in his 30s as well.

Funny-1188.jpg

Seriously I wish the best for Lamar. Would love to see him in Shanahan's offense. Do think there are questions moving forward about his ability to big a primetime player in playoff games. Ravens can still at least get the Super Bowl with him. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

That's a guess that is not really supported by precedent or evidence. His improvement in the passing game is far outsripping his decline in athleticism. Like other mobile QBs Cunningham and Vick had their best seasons past 30, and Steve Young peaked in his 30s as well.

Vick started 47 games after turning 30, not sure that's a great example. Also, he was never a good passer.

Cunningham started 50games after turning 30 but he was a 3000 yards passer 3 times in his first 6 seasons when passing was tougher, Lamar hasn't done that in his first 6 seasons in an era that it's much easier. So different player qualities as far as passing.

Young was nothing like Lamar, completely different styles. He also wasn't given a real chance until he was 30 but was one of the most efficient QBs ever. Good goal but I don't see the comparison.

Lamar has a lot of work to do to be a pocket passer when teams know he will stay in the pocket. That's a future problem, for as long as he can he should do what he does best, for himself and the team.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The goal line fumble just happens, it was a tremendous play by Sneed and if he doesn't chop it out that's a touchdown. 99% of the time the guy scores, this was the 1% where a defender made a great play.

1% for the rest of the league, but like 17% against the Ravens.  That's two straight playoff losses that ended on pivotal plays at the goalline.

To the OP...The Ravens are as good as any of the top teams in the AFC, which means they will always have a chance.  

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

What would that look like, though? If he radically levels up, is the expectation that his QB rating for the regular season would be 120 or higher? It was 103 this year. How good a passer would he have to be in the regular season to be considered capable of winning a Super Bowl?

Is Lamar Jackson an elite passer? 

3 hours ago, MagicMT said:

I’m going to go ahead and call this the Ridder Effect. If it just wasn’t for those 4 turnovers he had a good game. If it wasn’t for his poor play in the playoffs he’d be pretty danged good qb. 

Top defense. Like literally top defense. They played great. Reference the best defense thread where raven fan was smashing the like button on their big D. All Lamar had to do is just manage the game and throw strikes. He didn’t do it. Like at all. He hesitated and was confused. That is his MO since his college days. He just simply crumbles in pressured big games. 

So will the ravens win a super bowl with Lamar?  I actually doubt it. This year was possibly their best chance with that elite defense. I actually thought Lamar did a bang up job during the regular season. I thought he actually straightened out his brains hesitation. But he absolutely did not. He’s the same Lamar I’ve watched since his college days. 

But if it just wasn’t for his not playing good in the playoffs, he’d be winning playoff games. 

Edited by Bonanza23
hi desmond

11 minutes ago, Soko said:

Is Lamar Jackson an elite passer? 

He seems to perform like one during the regular season. PFF's no. 1 QB of 2023. The efficiency stats and graders both agree he was during the regular season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2023-analytical-quarterback-rankings-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-lead-the-way

My question is, what kind of stats would Lamar have to put up in the regular season for people to think he is elite and capable of winning in the playoffs?

The past 3 seasons in which Lamar wasn't injured and his supporting cast wasn't decimated by injury (2019, 2020, and 2023), Lamar's rating has been 113, 99, and 103. It's fair to say he can reliably put up a 100 passer rating.

Would he need to maintain the rating but add bulk stats too?

• Like 1