Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

Still depressed. Gona be a looooong offseason. 7 months just to get back to week 1 to start over. 12 months to have a chance to redeem ourselves. 

No NFL football until September 8th, no SB until February 9th 2025 

No guarantee we make it back either. We were actually relatively healthy in 2023. I doubt that will repeat itself in 2024. Greenlaw is already likely to miss most of the season. Health in general could be the difference between 12-5, #1 seed & 10-7, #6 seed or even 9-8 or worse, missing playoffs altogether.

So many opportunities gone. Potentially could take years to get back if we ever do. Would have been nice to have just 1. We've lost em every which way

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Still depressed. Gona be a looooong offseason. 7 months just to get back to week 1 to start over. 12 months to have a chance to redeem ourselves. 

No NFL football until September 8th, no SB until February 9th 2025 

No guarantee we make it back either. We were actually relatively healthy in 2023. I doubt that will repeat itself in 2024. Greenlaw is already likely to miss most of the season. Health in general could be the difference between 12-5, #1 seed & 10-7, #6 seed or even 9-8 or worse, missing playoffs altogether.

So many opportunities gone. Potentially could take years to get back if we ever do. Would have been nice to have just 1. We've lost em every which way

Yeah, I wouldn't bank on being back in 2024. Statistically, it's just improbable. Guys are older, I agree that health will probably be worse, and frankly, I expect regression from CMC and Purdy. Like, even if Purdy drops down to 8.8 ypa that's damn near a full yard regression while still being historically amazing lol. 

There's a part of me that would respect the hell out of this team if they did something major and out of left field with the current roster just to re-allocate assets. Like the Chiefs did with Hill. One of those moves that looks like a step back, but instrumental in setting up the team moving forward while re-allocating the assets to improve the current team possibly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

And spending that kind of capital on a Gucci RB when he's been just fine shopping at the UDFA RB Factory Store didn't make sense to him.

To be fair to this argument Kyle did spend 3 3rd round picks on 3 bust RBs haha 😂 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I wouldn't bank on being back in 2024. Statistically, it's just improbable. Guys are older, I agree that health will probably be worse, and frankly, I expect regression from CMC and Purdy. Like, even if Purdy drops down to 8.8 ypa that's damn near a full yard regression while still being historically amazing lol. 

There's a part of me that would respect the hell out of this team if they did something major and out of left field with the current roster just to re-allocate assets. Like the Chiefs did with Hill. One of those moves that looks like a step back, but instrumental in setting up the team moving forward while re-allocating the assets to improve the current team possibly. 

I'll settle for a wildcard spot and pray for no bad injuries...

13 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

2024 will be a Super Bowl hangover year, and then in 2025 we make it back only to become the first team to lose the Super Bowl in their home stadium to none other than the Kansas City Chiefs

Chiefs going be first team ever to win 4 super bowls straight. Going be epic. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

What would that move be??

Trading Deebo perhaps??

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean as always, health will determine if this team is back or not. They are every bit on the level of any of the elite teams in the league. Just won 25 games the last two years and have a lot of blue chippers. If they end up trading Aiyuk, that would be a big mistake, especially with him being the lone WR that can win against man coverage and opposing defenses will try that next year against us. 

CMC is CMC, I don't see him falling off all that much, if at all.

Purdy certainly will not have the insane YPA next season that he had this year but I think Kyle opens up the passing game even more so he will have more volume. Does not necessarily mean one way or another if that is better or worse. It will just be different in that regard.

If Shanny truly wants to be a threat to knock off teams like the Chiefs or Ravens in the SB, then he needs to fix the OL and make sure this team can play in a game where it comes down to the passing game. 

11-13 wins again in 2024. 

• Like 2

So, Brock Purdy was under pressure damn near 50% of the time. Completely unfeasible pressure rate. With Kittle and Deebo going out hurt temporarily. And the running game was screwed. Felt he did the best he could in real time and it looks better with rewatch. Dude just straight up did not have the horses after the injuries where Burford was abject poo and McKivitz was regular poo. Similar on defense where the injury to Greenlaw brought even more Oren Burks on the field. Said before the game that they'd go 2 TE to get Burks on the field and exploit him and they didn't need to switch personnel to murder Burks in real time. Thought we were the better team for most of the first half and ignoring that these injuries happened removes some critical context.

Not to take anything away from Mahomes and the Chiefs; we were lucky to hang on as long as we did in the second half when we just clearly were moving the ball worse than they were and were hanging on to Trent + McCaffrey left side runs and Purdy miracle plays. And injuries are a part of the game for an older team - we were fortunate to keep our older vital, vital pieces like McCaffery and Trent for most of the season. But these things mattered.

I know that I'm a Brock apologist, but I do feel that his skill in handling bad offensive line situations and making them look tenable means that he gets very little of the credit that he deserves when the offensive line situation would render just about every other quarterback completely useless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JIllg said:

So, Brock Purdy was under pressure damn near 50% of the time. Completely unfeasible pressure rate. With Kittle and Deebo going out hurt temporarily. And the running game was screwed. Felt he did the best he could in real time and it looks better with rewatch. Dude just straight up did not have the horses after the injuries where Burford was abject poo and McKivitz was regular poo. Similar on defense where the injury to Greenlaw brought even more Oren Burks on the field. Said before the game that they'd go 2 TE to get Burks on the field and exploit him and they didn't need to switch personnel to murder Burks in real time. Thought we were the better team for most of the first half and ignoring that these injuries happened removes some critical context.

Not to take anything away from Mahomes and the Chiefs; we were lucky to hang on as long as we did in the second half when we just clearly were moving the ball worse than they were and were hanging on to Trent + McCaffrey left side runs and Purdy miracle plays. And injuries are a part of the game for an older team - we were fortunate to keep our older vital, vital pieces like McCaffery and Trent for most of the season. But these things mattered.

I know that I'm a Brock apologist, but I do feel that his skill in handling bad offensive line situations and making them look tenable means that he gets very little of the credit that he deserves when the offensive line situation would render just about every other quarterback completely useless.

Shame that he's still dealing with hideous pass protection from the OL even after his days at Iowa State. 

14 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Pressured on almost 50% of his drockbacks with no TWP and only took one sack. It could have been a whole a lot worse to be honest. The way he navigates the pocket is amazing. You just have to fix the OL and especially make sure the interior is a good pass blocking unit. Like Brees, Purdy is a smaller QB and needs to be able to step into his throws to be effective as he can't make those back foot throws like an Allen or Mahomes. Brees always had a very good OL in NO and obviously was great at getting the ball out quickly. Purdy needs to improve on his accuracy to get on that level but there is some similarities. Shore up the interior OL and this offense is going to be lethal once again. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

What would that move be??

Trading Deebo perhaps??

Think trading Aiyuk is more likely than Deebo. And honestly while i think Aiyuk is great he also is probably the most replacable in terms of type and role in this offense.

Edited by Justone2