2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

6 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Stop buying merchandise. Don't go to games. Don't support the team beyond what the TV networks have already paid him. Hit him in the wallet and don't get emotionally attached. Enjoy the sport, but leave it at that. Nothing will change until he's dead.

I don't disagree with you but I can tell you from my own experience that it's hard to walk away.  I still want them to win.  From a fan perspective there's a higher emotional involvement/investment in football given the physical nature of the game. I find myself reacting or engaging more watching football than say baseball or basketball.  Playoff hockey brings out the most involvement from me.  The time off between games and media coverage/hype still draws one in.  Lord knows Jerry prides himself on keeping the boys in the headlines.  I don't buy merchandise and won't subscribe to any tv packages.  I have cut back on my total viewing time but will still tune in if I have nothing else on the go.

5 hours ago, Northland said:

I don't disagree with you but I can tell you from my own experience that it's hard to walk away.  I still want them to win.  From a fan perspective there's a higher emotional involvement/investment in football given the physical nature of the game. I find myself reacting or engaging more watching football than say baseball or basketball.  Playoff hockey brings out the most involvement from me.  The time off between games and media coverage/hype still draws one in.  Lord knows Jerry prides himself on keeping the boys in the headlines.  I don't buy merchandise and won't subscribe to any tv packages.  I have cut back on my total viewing time but will still tune in if I have nothing else on the go.

I hear you. I’m only emotionally invested in Michigan and the Edmonton Oilers at this point. I gave up on being invested in the Cowboys a long time ago.

22 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Never. If you’re still here after the last 25yrs, you’ll be here for the next 25. Misery is part of the deal. 

And apparently enjoys the company.

Edited by HDsportsfan

9 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

He'd clear 5yr-6yr $300-350m fully guaranteed as a FA

I would much rather see another team completely overpay for him. 

with the way this offseason has gone, let him walk and let’s start this rebuild process now. Clear this money off the CAP!! 

17 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

He *might* have a better chance to win in Miami if they dump Tua, LA if/when Stafford retires. I think most of the teams likely to offer a deal in this vicinity will not be going far, though.

36 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

And never win a blessed thing. He doesn’t have it in him. He’s a great guy; one you’d be proud to have marry your sister, but he’s not a Super Bowl caliber QB.

I think we could keep him for 5yrs $240-250m with $200m guaranteed and 40-50m tied to performance that we put heavily into post season performance/wins.  Just my opinion, but that's a damn good deal for an MVP Caliber QB

16 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I think we could keep him for 5yrs $240-250m with $200m guaranteed and 40-50m tied to performance that we put heavily into post season performance/wins.  Just my opinion, but that's a damn good deal for an MVP Caliber QB

I hear where you’re coming but I don’t buy this. A 30-year-old 2nd team All-Pro QB is gonna sign a deal that makes him the 5th highest paid QB by AAV?

Dak has shown time and again he’s coming for the bag, and Todd France is going to get it for him. Last time around, it was reported he wanted 40M per year all the way back in August 2019, when the high mark was (I believe) Russell Wilson at 35. Only natural to assume he now wants 60 when the top guy is at 55.

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I hear where you’re coming but I don’t buy this. A 30-year-old 2nd team All-Pro QB is gonna sign a deal that makes him the 5th highest paid QB by AAV?

Dak has shown time and again he’s coming for the bag, and Todd France is going to get it for him. Last time around, it was reported he wanted 40M per year all the way back in August 2019, when the high mark was (I believe) Russell Wilson at 35. Only natural to assume he now wants 60 when the top guy is at 55.

Dak is not a winner. He's mediocre at best against teams above .500 and sucks out loud in the playoffs. That doesn't warrant a massive contract, no matter whose name is on the back of the uniform. Just because he puts up big numbers against bad opponents and a bunch of empty calorie stats late in games when we're blown out means absolutely nothing to me.

When Dak got $40m a year, Mahomes already had $45m/yr in new money on his deal.  Tannehill got 4yrs $120m as a borderline starter / backup QB.  DeShaun Watson had just got $39m/yr fully guaranteed.  He was paid in line with the market value of a QB at his level (or even less than).

Currently Burrows at $55m a year is the highest paid player in the NFL, Mahomes at $52.5m after his 4yr restructure gave him 210m form 23-26 fully guaranteed, Herbert is also at $52.5m, Lamar who he just played neck-and-neck with for MVP is at $52m, Hurts who fell off a cliff is at $51m, Wilson who got benched and cut was making $48m, Murray who looks like hot garbage most of the year was at $46m, Watson made $46m also, Allen made $43m, Stafford made $40m and Dak Prescott came in tied for 10th highest paid QB at $40m last year.

Explain to me how that's not in line with the market, if not under market value?

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Dak is not a winner. He's mediocre at best against teams above .500 and sucks out loud in the playoffs. That doesn't warrant a massive contract, no matter whose name is on the back of the uniform. Just because he puts up big numbers against bad opponents and a bunch of empty calorie stats late in games when we're blown out means absolutely nothing to me.

Yeah, we heard you.

I am not endorsing this team, or any other, paying Dak $60M a year (besides, perhaps, the Giants or Commanders). I am simply stating that that is what is going to happen. That number might even be conservative if he hits the open market and/or Love and Lawrence sign first.

I can’t fathom him agreeing to a deal that ties up significant bonuses in playoff incentives, such that he would have to go further in the playoffs than he has to become the highest paid QB. What recent top of the market QB contract had that kind of structure?

38 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah, we heard you.

I am not endorsing this team, or any other, paying Dak $60M a year (besides, perhaps, the Giants or Commanders). I am simply stating that that is what is going to happen. That number might even be conservative if he hits the open market and/or Love and Lawrence sign first.

I can’t fathom him agreeing to a deal that ties up significant bonuses in playoff incentives, such that he would have to go further in the playoffs than he has to become the highest paid QB. What recent top of the market QB contract had that kind of structure?

Kansas City Chiefs' quarterback Patrick Mahomes, Buffalo Bills' quarterback Josh Allen, Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback Baker Mayfield and Green Bay Packers' quarterback Jordan Love can receive bumps of up to $5 million/yr with continued playoff success because of incentives and escalators

• Like 2