2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

6 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

I'm not complaining about resigning THOSE guys! I'm complaining because they haven't done a blessed thing to replace them or, better yet, improve on them.

Clearly what we have behind them couldn't crack the starting line up.

So I'll ask again. If those guys were good enough to get us to the post season but not good enough to win, and the guys we have behind weren't even good enough to get playing time, and we haven't signed anyone yet, how in Gods name is this team better???

Certainly the team isn’t better today. That’s not my position, so I’m not going to answer that question.

My position is that, for a lot of the stuff that people are up in arms about, it’s just normal healthy roster churn. If you are scared to let your guys develop, you do things like draft Luke Schoonmaker. Certainly on the defensive line, the right move is to let the investments in Sam Williams, Mazi, Fehoko, Golston, etc pay off, unless you get the shot at someone truly unique. Bringing in a defensive line JAG in free agency is a progress stopper and drag on the salary cap. I do not expect a significant step down on the DL, and could even get better if some of those players take a true leap. Of course, you can always use DL, and I would take a stud if one fell to me in the draft.

I do share your concern about the current state of the OL and RB. But I expect that’ll be a different conversation after the draft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Certainly the team isn’t better today. That’s not my position, so I’m not going to answer that question.

My position is that, for a lot of the stuff that people are up in arms about, it’s just normal healthy roster churn. If you are scared to let your guys develop, you do things like draft Luke Schoonmaker. Certainly on the defensive line, the right move is to let the investments in Sam Williams, Mazi, Fehoko, Golston, etc pay off, unless you get the shot at someone truly unique. Bringing in a defensive line JAG in free agency is a progress stopper and drag on the salary cap. I do not expect a significant step down on the DL, and could even get better if some of those players take a true leap. Of course, you can always use DL, and I would take a stud if one fell to me in the draft.

I do share your concern about the current state of the OL and RB. But I expect that’ll be a different conversation after the draft.

Yeah, but they GOT to hit on those guys in the draft.

7 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Yeah, but they GOT to hit on those guys in the draft.

The only true path to real success in the NFL includes (among other things) hitting on your draft picks. There’s no FA and trade-only journey. People get jealous of what Howie does with his maneuvers. But look at what they’ve done in the draft and the flexibility that’s given them. If the last 3 draft classes don’t contribute significantly, there isn’t a path to success for any team. Full stop.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The only true path to real success in the NFL includes (among other things) hitting on your draft picks. There’s no FA and trade-only journey. People get jealous of what Howie does with his maneuvers. But look at what they’ve done in the draft and the flexibility that’s given them. If the last 3 draft classes don’t contribute significantly, there isn’t a path to success for any team. Full stop.

Well hopefully 2023 draft class doesn’t maintain its current course, as of right now it’s a very subpar class for Cowboys. Worst class for McClay by far so far. 

12 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Well hopefully 2023 draft class doesn’t maintain its current course, as of right now it’s a very subpar class for Cowboys. Worst class for McClay by far so far. 

Yup, absolutely gotta get contributions out of that group. Brutal year 1.

• 2 weeks later...

With it being unlikely that our team signs anyone else prior to the draft, thought it was time for a depth chart check-in. It's not great.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

I would rank our needs as follows:

1. Center

2. Left tackle/left guard (Ourlads has Smith at LT, which he certainly would be if this team had to play a game tomorrow)

3. Running back

4. Defensive tackle

5. Wide Receiver

6. Linebacker

7. Edge rusher

It's just a really thin roster right now. CB4 would probably be next. On the plus side we have some 4th/5th round projects along the OL, would be high time for any of them to come out and do something.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

So apparently they exercised Micahs 5th year option today. Not really a surprise at all. But with how much he likes to talk, I'm surprised he isn't crying about his contract minutes after the announcement

Dude loves to talk, but he’s never been close to a malcontent.

14 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Dude loves to talk, but he’s never been close to a malcontent.

Yeah I'd say that's fair. I guess I just get worn thin by guys in their second and third seasons trying to put on a Pat McAfee show and act like they've done it for 10 years. He is closer to being a rookie than a grizzled and battle tested veteran IMO

BUT I do believe that's partly on his agent likely suggesting he needs to increase his exposure if he wants that acclaim and DPOY awards and such. Shrug. Whatever it is I still don't like it. He's good but he is by no means more important than the team

7 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Good with the trade down and adding a 3rd that we need without a 4th - not sure I’d take Guyton over JPJ

Broaddus seemed to think he may not even be on Cowboys board due to medicals. Center may not even be on their radar. Appears Hoffman may be the guy. 

Edited by WizardHawk

On 4/15/2024 at 2:02 PM, matt79511 said:

With it being unlikely that our team signs anyone else prior to the draft, thought it was time for a depth chart check-in. It's not great.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

I would rank our needs as follows:

1. Center

2. Left tackle/left guard (Ourlads has Smith at LT, which he certainly would be if this team had to play a game tomorrow)

3. Running back

4. Defensive tackle

5. Wide Receiver

6. Linebacker

7. Edge rusher

It's just a really thin roster right now. CB4 would probably be next. On the plus side we have some 4th/5th round projects along the OL, would be high time for any of them to come out and do something.

Matt, with the exception of RB, you nailed every position. Well done!

Question is, will they hit on these guys?

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

How washed is gallup at this point? We're paying him to compete for the #3 WR job with Tre tucker (who actually flashed a decent amount as a deep threat last year).

He's still serviceable - more a cap casualty in my opinion than anything in regards to his abilities.  Good for 1-2 catches a game, 25-30yds and will catch what's thrown his way more often than not.