2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Tells us everything we need to know about Lance’s progress and this trade.  🤦‍♂️

That could have been our RB selection this draft 🙄

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

I was just looking at that. Yikes. Not that any of them pan out, but Zeke, who we know where he’s at physically or the 5 RBs taken within the next dozen picks? 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:48 PM, textaz03 said:

Why would they pick up his option when they have no idea what he will become? The fifth year option on his contract was reported to be around 20 million, give or take. That's a lot for a backup even if you have aspirations he will becime a starter. Better option is to go the LVE route and see what he does in camp, preseason, practice. And any chances he gets in season. Then sign him accordingly based on what you see. Than give him that kind of money when you know nothing about him.

It says nothing about what they think of him or his development. It simply shows that they are being smart about throwing around that kind of money. If he wants 20 mil or more in a year he needs to earn it and he's done nothing yet to earn it.

Worst (or best?) case scenario, he shows out in preseason. Makes strides in camp. Gets live action in season. And earns himself a one year back it up full time transition tag. 

Not picking it up is smart ... Don't over react as if the world must be falling around his career because the team make a smart finsncial decision about a player they still don't know much about 

I saw one of the blog sites pondering a trade for Miles Sanders. I think that’s interesting.

The current contract probably doesn’t work, but if he’d be willing to re-do it or, or if Carolina was willing to pick up some of the tab, he’d be a great fit, I think. Carolina has moved on, and he’s still relatively young. Didn’t look good in limited time last year, but was excellent with Philly.

I'm not making a case one way or another, but let's say hypothetically Jerry decides NOT to resign Dak, what options would you have to replace him? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Do you go for a full rebuild and start from scratch? IDK I just can't think of a situation that works without him that doesn't constitute you guys starting over.

Tua? Goff? Love? Do any of these guys actually hit the open market? 

I've been suspicious of the "full on rebuild" since the start of this off-season. 

The amount of players they let walk via FA vs the few they brought in tells me 2 things:

1. Stockpile comp picks for next year.

2. Clear cap space for next year.

Then, they did the smartest thing they could've done with this draft and tgats build your trenches, particularly the Oline.

Keeping a base of Lamb, Diggs, Bland, Ferguson, Overshown, T. Smith paired with a revamped Oline with 1 years experience (by next year) multiple picks, probably top 15 in each round, money for FA, and, I like to believe, blue chip trade for 1st and 3rd Parsons. 

You can easily pick up: QB, RB, LB, EDGE, S, WR. Next year.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'm not making a case one way or another, but let's say hypothetically Jerry decides NOT to resign Dak, what options would you have to replace him? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Do you go for a full rebuild and start from scratch? IDK I just can't think of a situation that works without him that doesn't constitute you guys starting over.

Tua? Goff? Love? Do any of these guys actually hit the open market? 

The “plan” would probably be to re-sign Lance to a modest deal (high-end backup/low-end starter money— still an overpay) and have him compete with a mid rounder. 2024 looks like a reset year but 2025 is set up as a full-on rebuild if Dak walks. They could easily have over $80M in dead money next year.

Just now, matt79511 said:

The “plan” would probably be to re-sign Lance to a modest deal (high-end backup/low-end starter money— still an overpay) and have him compete with a mid rounder. 2024 looks like a reset year but 2025 is set up as a full-on rebuild if Dak walks. They could easily have over $80M in dead money next year.

Dead money isn't a big issue usually.

I'm not sure how your FO tends to structure contracts but you have 80M in cap space next year (2025) a lot of which would be eaten up by Lamb, Parsons, Bland. But in 2026 you're pretty much an empty slate outside of core pieces and would have cart blanche on spending. 

22 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I agree with this. You’d see what you have in Lance. If he blossoms, great. If he fails, you are in draft position to get the next guy.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:00 PM, Danger said:

Dead money isn't a big issue usually.

I'm not sure how your FO tends to structure contracts but you have 80M in cap space next year (2025) a lot of which would be eaten up by Lamb, Parsons, Bland. But in 2026 you're pretty much an empty slate outside of core pieces and would have cart blanche on spending. 

Teams can work around like $30M in dead money, sure, maybe even 50 with as high as the cap has gotten, and still make the playoffs, but to contend for or win the SB with *eighty*? Like a third of next year’s cap? I feel like the average team in that situation wins like 5 games.

The bigger issue though is, not only might they be paying Dak, Martin, Lawrence, Cooks, Gallup and Steele $79.9M in prorated bonus money, but they will be doing so without a real answer at quarterback.