Raiders DON'T hire Kliff Kingsbury as OC

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Leoric said:

How much of that is because the Quarterback didn't know the playbook though? I think this is a decent hire. I mean not enough to balance out having Telesco but this is a positive.

No dude. A successful drive was literally:

1st down: Screen to Larry Fitz or AJ Green for 2 yards

2nd down: Screen to Rondale Moore, Andy Isabella, or Greg Dortch for -4 yards

3rd down: Kyler runs around and evades the pass rush for literally record-setting amounts of time to get a deep completion to DeAndre Hopkins, Christian Kirk or Larry Fitz.

An unsuccessful drive was:

1st down: Run your big power back on a draw out of shotgun for a loss.

2nd down: bubble Screen to Maxx Williams or Zach Ertz out wide for a loss.

3rd down: outside zone to a little running back for 5 yards.

Kliff did not use any formations besides Shotgun and it was Screen Central. Would kill drives and required Kyler to play hero ball. I mean, we've already seen the running game improve drastically since he's been gone. As well as the middle of the field actually getting utilized now.

• Like 1

He's the OC not the head coach. He can focus on offense and offense only. Kingbury has never been an OC in the NFL. It should be interesting to say the least. I give Antonio Pierce credit for taking a swing and trying something different. He could have easily hired some random and just ran the ball with 8 TEs on the roster like we seen for years.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I think there's a good chance this is what will happen.

Far cheaper and easier to go after Fields than move up for Caleb, Maye or Daniels from where the Raiders are in the draft order.

I'm good with the Kinsbury hire. He wasn't my first choice, but considering the OC pool is relatively slim right now, this is fine.

To be fair, he did decent his first 2 and a half years as the OC in Arizona. Had some cool ideas. But he didn't adjust or evolve beyond the innovations he made in year 1. By the end of Cardinals-Packers in 2021, every team knew exactly what play he was calling. Players on other teams called him out quite a bit prior to his firing.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I think there's a good chance this is what will happen.

Far cheaper and easier to go after Fields than move up for Caleb, Maye or Daniels from where the Raiders are in the draft order.

I'm good with the Kinsbury hire. He wasn't my first choice, but considering the OC pool is relatively slim right now, this is fine.

My logic is that Pierce will want to build a team up around the new QB, especially with KC and a likely quickly riding LAC in the same division. Fields will be exciting and best runs a more college-oriented offense so this would be a better fit. Also as Fields to Moore shows he can connect with talented WRs, so Adams will get fed - a LOT.

Fields will make enough exciting plays to keep fans interested and with a better playcaller he may smooth out some of the rough parts. If he develops then you've got a player that will either be a core player or could be shipped off for more than the original pick while swinging at a young potential franchise face - who now has a better supporting cast.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

No dude. A successful drive was literally:

1st down: Screen to Larry Fitz or AJ Green for 2 yards

2nd down: Screen to Rondale Moore, Andy Isabella, or Greg Dortch for -4 yards

3rd down: Kyler runs around and evades the pass rush for literally record-setting amounts of time to get a deep completion to DeAndre Hopkins, Christian Kirk or Larry Fitz.

An unsuccessful drive was:

1st down: Run your big power back on a draw out of shotgun for a loss.

2nd down: bubble Screen to Maxx Williams or Zach Ertz out wide for a loss.

3rd down: outside zone to a little running back for 5 yards.

Kliff did not use any formations besides Shotgun and it was Screen Central. Would kill drives and required Kyler to play hero ball. I mean, we've already seen the running game improve drastically since he's been gone. As well as the middle of the field actually getting utilized now.

LOL this was exactly what we saw in 2022. We got no pass rush and Murray was able to run around and lead to an inevitable slow death type loss we were accustomed to that year. That offense was not exciting to watch and I'm not sure why other Raider fans are pumped for this hiring. Caleb ties I'm assuming, even tho Kingsbury had some success his middle 2 seasons with that offense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaiderX said:

LOL this was exactly what we saw in 2022. We got no pass rush and Murray was able to run around and lead to an inevitable slow death type loss we were accustomed to that year. That offense was not exciting to watch and I'm not sure why other Raider fans are pumped for this hiring. Caleb ties I'm assuming, even tho Kingsbury had some success his middle 2 seasons with that offense. 

Yeah I think Kyler had like the longest (timed) 2 point conversion in NFL history against you guys that game. But if he didn't extend the play nothing would happen.

Also, one thing is that WRs seemed to quit on routes/ zone out and go through the motions, especially later in KK's tenure. I THINK the lack of variety may have been a big factor in that. Very few routes, static formations for WRs. It may have been harder to keep them engaged. AJ Green was hit in the back of the helmet by the ball while jogging at least twice that I can recall.