Where does this chiefs defensive playoff run rank for you?

CP3MVP

Through 3 games against 3 top 10 QBs they have given up a combined 41 points. In the second half of these games they have been insane.

That’s 13.6 PPG. To put that in perspective the 2013 Seahawks through 3 games was at 13.3

• Like 1

It's one of the best runs so far. I think it was, or is going to beat the record for hardest path via DVOA if they beat the 49ers. 

There are other ones like the 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, and 1985 Bears that were just as dominant, but beating Lamar, and Allen on the road is a big thumbs up. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Doesn't matter until the last game. It's definitely impressive in reference to the QBs played and the scoring standard of the era. But I'm sure plenty of teams have had a great run before getting knocked out. So, doesn't matter until/unless they finish the run.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not that crazy but really good. 

Injured Bills team at 40% force. 

Easiest game in history vs Playoff

lamar. 

They did an amazing job shutting down the Niners though no cap. But I that’s Kyle special though.. The bills if healthy could have beat them, since that game was the their closest all post season. Dolphins too were just decimated by injuries.

• Like 1

I'm of course going to sound like a hater but I just think the Baltimore game should be chalked up to Baltimore beating themselves more than anything. MIA stood no chance in the cold with their injuries, Baltimore completely abandoned their identity for who the hell knows what reason.

But, their gameplan in the Superbowl and the way they beat SF was absolutely dominant. SF tried to run and had lots of success in the first half, but in the second half they ran sparingly and when they did, KC made stops numerous times. They also bottled up the entire pass game as well.

This was a really good run by a very underrated defense.

• Like 1

Chiefs had a great defensive run but their opponents also played a part as well. I still don’t get why the Ravens got away from their identity which is run first pass when needed against them. Then the 49ers did something similar. Is it a ego thing or does the threat of matching Mahomes scares them and have them second guessing?

6 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Chiefs had a great defensive run but their opponents also played a part as well. I still don’t get why the Ravens got away from their identity which is run first pass when needed against them. Then the 49ers did something similar. Is it a ego thing or does the threat of matching Mahomes scares them and have them second guessing?

The chiefs stack the box to stop their running game in both of those game

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Didn’t SF run it like 30 times? KC clamped them up as time went on.

KC dared Baltimore to pass. They tried to, and failed. Rushing is certainly their bread and butter, but seems kind of weird to think that putting the ball in the hands of their MVP QB is somehow also not giving them a chance to win, especially when they dedicating themselves to taking away the run.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 5:44 PM, AngusMcFife said:

Pretty good.

In contrast the 2000 Ravens gave up 16 points over 4 games, and scored 2 defensive TDs.

So that'd be a net of 2 points over 4 games, or 0.5 PPG.

That was an insane run..  This run is pretty good too but the 00 Ravens were one of the GOATs, up there with the 70's Steelers IMO

I think for this era of football it’s one of the best defensive performances of all time. 2000s Ravens didn’t have to worry about falling on a QB incorrectly drawing a flag, and could mug receivers to blanket in coverage. Obviously they’re one of the best all time defenses, but that whole team would be suspended before the end of the year in this era lmao

Like I’m imagining Chris Jones being allowed to just maul opposing QBs, dear lord. 

On 2/12/2024 at 9:59 AM, El Ramster said:

Not that crazy but really good. 

Injured Bills team at 40% force. 

Easiest game in history vs Playoff

lamar. 

They did an amazing job shutting down the Niners though no cap. But I that’s Kyle special though.. The bills if healthy could have beat them, since that game was the their closest all post season. Dolphins too were just decimated by injuries.

I haven't said this about any other playoff loss the Bills have been a part of- but they win that game if healthy, imo. The Chiefs really lucked out with the injuries to the Bills defense. Buffalo's defense was on fire to end the year. Then, the injuries started to pile up against the Steelers, and Buffalo limped into the Chiefs game missing their #1 + #2 MLB (biggest loss, bar none. The drop from Bernard to Klein is insane), #1 OLB, #2 CB, and their #1 DB was playing injured and left the game. 

It sucks, but I am psyched for next year. It's been a fun ride since McD took over. Maybe I've been beaten down to a loser mentality due to Buffalo's struggles in the past, but I'm just over here enjoying the ride. It's not like any of us have **** all to do with our teams' success. Some of us are just lucky enough to have picked the right team to root for while others are unlucky. Isn't that crazy? All the trash talk among fans just boils down to how lucky you are to pick the right team to root for as a kid. It's really diminishes the value of trash talk among fans, haha. 

Edited by WizeGuy