Raiders to unfortunately hire Luke Getsy as OC

RaidersAreOne

No one in this thread has any quality insight on whether Getsy is a good offensive coordinator or not. I understand why he has a bad reputation in the NFL, but it simply could be that his system and Fields were not good fits (even though I thought Fields played pretty well to close the season). My initial impression was that the Getsy hire would prohibit a Fields trade, but now I am not so sure. It's possible that Fields likes Getsy and felt they were on the brink of a breakthrough. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

No one in this thread has any quality insight on whether Getsy is a good offensive coordinator or not. I understand why he has a bad reputation in the NFL, but it simply could be that his system and Fields were not good fits (even though I thought Fields played pretty well to close the season). My initial impression was that the Getsy hire would prohibit a Fields trade, but now I am not so sure. It's possible that Fields likes Getsy and felt they were on the brink of a breakthrough. 

A good coach should tailor the system to the talent he has.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

A good coach should tailor the system to the talent he has.

This criticism only makes sense if you think Fields is a good and played badly because of Getsy. I think Fields is good and played okay overall under Getsy. I think Fields could benefit from an offense acutely tailored to his strengths and weaknesses, but I think him and Getsy were still figuring those things out in Chicago. Fields has an usual skillset, which makes his development a taller task than other players.

Edited by Rich7sena

18 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

In no world would Howell want to work with Bienemy ever again. Dude may have ruined him forever (dropping him back 1,000,000 times behind our league-worst OL). 

Plus, there are reports/rumors the players as a whole had issues with Bienemy. 

This guy is an all-time bag fumbler tbh he goes from working with Mahomes and being on the cusp of getting HC jobs, to now ruining Sam Howell and being unemployed all because he seems like an ******* whose success was completely caused by Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes being great

22 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Personally, I don't think Getsy did Justin Fields many favors during his time as OC in Chicago, but maybe Getsy and Fields are closer than we think.  Is it possible that the plan for the Raiders is to make a trade for Justin Fields?  If so, that would at least help the Getsy hiring make a little more sense.  Fields knows his offense.

They are not.  As a Bears fan I am confident in thinking they both blame each other for their current predicaments. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't think Getsy is that bad overall as an OC.  He was bad with Bears, but some things were outside his control.

Early in 2023 season the Bears OL was in complete disarray.  I won't go through it all, but a lot of starters missed practice time or were hurt.

Getsy devised an offense on a terrible team in 2022 in which Fields was primary ball carrier.  This resulted in a 4 game stretch were Bears were lighting up scoreboard with no talent.

But this did nothing to develop Fields as a pocket passer.

Fields primary issues were and continue to be:  Slow to read, Slow drop, Slow delivery.  This from perhaps fastest QB in league is kind of weird, but is what it is.

The slow delivery throws off smoke and bubble screens.  Which is Getsy's primary answer to pressure packages.  Which is where he is weak and where my biggest criticism of Getsy comes. 

You need a power run game, slants, middle screens, TE/RB option routes over middle as well as options to defeat heavy blitz packages.   Teams sat on the screens and blitzed anyway.   You need more answers.  Flores made him look like a complete fool twice.  But part of that is Justin limitations.  

Give Getsy a quick trigger QB or one who is willing to be coached that way and he will be fine.  He was much more comfortable calling plays for the Bears back up QB.

This is not to say that Fields can't be really good.  He can.  But you have to play to his strengths like Baltimore does for Jackson, and Getsy only did that for a short time in 2022.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Honestly, I don't think Getsy is that bad overall as an OC.  He was bad with Bears, but some things were outside his control.

Early in 2023 season the Bears OL was in complete disarray.  I won't go through it all, but a lot of starters missed practice time or were hurt.

Getsy devised an offense on a terrible team in 2022 in which Fields was primary ball carrier.  This resulted in a 4 game stretch were Bears were lighting up scoreboard with no talent.

Fields primary issues were and continue to be:  Slow to read, Slow drop, Slow delivery.  This from perhaps fastest QB in league is kind of weird, but is what it is.

The slow delivery throws off smoke and bubble screens.  Which is Getsy's primary answer to pressure packages.  Which is where he is weak and where my biggest criticism of Getsy comes. 

You need a power run game, slants, middle screens, TE/RB option routes over middle as well as options to defeat heavy blitz packages.   Teams sat on the screens and blitzed anyway.   You need more answers.  Flores made him look like a complete fool twice.  But part of that is Justin limitations.  

Give Getsy a quick trigger QB or one who is willing to be coached that way and he will be fine.  He was much more comfortable calling plays for the Bears back up QB.

This is not to say that Fields can't be really good.  He can.  But you have to play to his strengths like Baltimore does for Jackson, and Getsy only did that for a short time in 2022.

I don't think Getsy is good by any means but I do agree the talent he was given (Or lack therof) and injuries played a part in his passing O's looking so poor. I think Fields will do better away from Luke and vice versa. 

Still hate it.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think Getsy is good by any means but I do agree the talent he was given (Or lack therof) and injuries played a part in his passing O's looking so poor. I think Fields will do better away from Luke and vice versa. 

Still hate it.

NGL he came up with really stupid game plans and could get silly predictable.  Other teams players would talk about it in postgames "We knew they were going to X." 

But he also had some good ones and he knows Xs and Os. 

If he gets better at play calling and game planning he should be fine.  He lacked experience and now has some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said: