Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

10 hours ago, reddevil said:

I wonder how much the QB situation has cost us opportunities to bring in certain guys? I’m sure the lure of Washington being able to get one of the top guys was a big factor for Kingsbury. 

With the top 3 QBs almost certainly going 1,2,3 and out of reach for us and I’m guessing that with Jimmy’s wages limiting the FA options (can’t see us going Cousins for example), it leaves the second tier draft picks and/or bringing in a low tier FA as the most likely outcome.

And while I am open to drafting one of the second tier draft picks at 13 or trading into late 1st - it’s hardly an ideal scenario for an aspiring coach to come into.

With so many moving parts, teams that draft before you and the lottery of FA, there is no way the FO could make any promises about getting a specific QB for you to develop.

They wanted DC gone too 

38 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think this sort of speaks to why some people are highly puzzled by the hire. How is it any different than Bo Hardigree last year? 

Seems we hired a new OC with the same or worse results who had a more physically gifted QB to work with. 

We all know AOC is limited. We saw it. It wasn't like he was drafted with oodles of upside potential from a physical standpoint. 

Bo at least made some attempts to tailor the offense to AOC's limited strengths, whereas Getsy seems to have been hell bent on square pegging a round hole in Chicago. I think Fields is just a bust and not a good QB, but he has a ton of talent as a runner that Getsy didn't seem.to want to design the offense for. 

I mean, I can understand why Getsy wouldn't want to tailor the offense for Fields- it's not a long term, sustainable system in the making. But....point remains he didn't. We had someone who did- albeit to pretty middling-to-poor results. 

I guess the million dollar question is what benefit does Getsy bring that Bo wouldn't have?

Bo at least tried to tailor to strenghts. Bo has familiarity with the roster. Bo had a more limited QB to work with. Bo would offer some level of continuity. 

Getsy's resume isn't so out of this world to warrant him over Bo, imo. It's not like we went out and got a maestro OC. We got a guy who is practically a lateral move from a guy nobody wanted around long term. He doesn't appear to bring any bonuses to the table, but he represents a regression in terms of familiarity, continuity, and possibly tailoring the offense to suit our strengths. 

I expected a clear upgrade from Bo Hardigree, at the very least. If we indeed upgraded, right now the evidence shows we have done so to the most minimal degree possible. That, I think, it what has people irked by it. 

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said. My initial reaction to Getsy being hired was pretty much the same as when AP and Telasco got the jobs -- definitely underwhelmed, but willing to see if I'm wrong about their capabilities. Like you, I would have preferred Frank Reich (though it looks like he's done with coaching in general). With Getsy, we have a good body of work to see what we might get, and it doesn't look good. The main question is WHY it didn't look good -- was it mostly on Getsy, or mostly on Fields? We won't know the answer until at least halfway through next season. AOC seems mentally capable of reading a defense, it's his other deficiencies that worked against him (and, perhaps, the fact that he was being ignored in practice in favor of Noodle-Arm Garrapolo). Fields's struggles could be mostly (or maybe even entirely) mental as evidenced by his desire to tuck it and run instead of truly making progressions and reading the defense.

All that to say we won't have answers until after the season starts, which basically sucks for us fans.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just don’t understand this. Why not lock him up long term if he’s your guy. Especially if you plan on drafting a QB to develop. You’d think they’d want their QB to be in the same system for a few years. Worst case with this is it doesn’t pan out  and you’re on the hook i suppose but what happens in two years if you only have them on the 2 year contract? They start over at OC and the QB has to learn a new system? Because that worked so well with Carr. 

https://x.com/patmcafeeshow/status/1754568325772787813?s=46&t=rBi-M5Sv8aIxiPvpkavE-g 

Dan Orlovsky on McAfee talking about the Getsy hire. For a more positive outlook than most…

That said, this is coming from the same Dan Orlovsky who was convinced at about this time last year that Mac Jones was a top QB, so take anything he says with the skepticism it probably merits.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Really starting to seem like Mark went the ultra cheap route this time around, after the Gruden and JMD failures. 

Not even offering an OC a 3 year deal Especially a guy like KK whos been a HC in this league before? Yeah i dont blame him for walking. A guy like Gotsy will happily take that deal after his poor showing in Chi.

Maybe Davis knows deep down this hastily put together Telesco/AP regime won’t be around for the long haul

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I just don’t understand this. Why not lock him up long term if he’s your guy. Especially if you plan on drafting a QB to develop. You’d think they’d want their QB to be in the same system for a few years. Worst case with this is it doesn’t pan out  and you’re on the hook i suppose but what happens in two years if you only have them on the 2 year contract? They start over at OC and the QB has to learn a new system? Because that worked so well with Carr. 

I mentioned this awhile ago that Davis paying out Gruden and JMD regimes would result in him going to frugal route. It’s why I didn’t think Harbaugh was an option.

I also mentioned about Harbaugh’s California love. He even said in his press conference he wanted to coach in California because other than Michigan job,  it is where he loves to coach

13 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Really starting to seem like Mark went the ultra cheap route this time around, after the Gruden and JMD failures. 

Not even offering an OC a 3 year deal Especially a guy like KK whos been a HC in this league before? Yeah i dont blame him for walking. A guy like Gotsy will happily take that deal after his poor showing in Chi.

Maybe Davis knows deep down this hastily put together Telesco/AP regime won’t be around for the long haul

I was thinking the same thing. Once bitten, twice shy. It's good to learn from past mistakes, but it's also good not to allow the pendulum to swing too far in the other direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I mentioned this awhile ago that Davis paying out Gruden and JMD regimes would result in him going to frugal route. It’s why I didn’t think Harbaugh was an option.

I also mentioned about Harbaugh’s California love. He even said in his press conference he wanted to coach in California because other than Michigan job,  it is where he loves to coach

Man if that’s true it’s almost like they’re punting on this regime. In that case I really hope they don’t draft a QB. 

19 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Man if that’s true it’s almost like they’re punting on this regime. In that case I really hope they don’t draft a QB. 

It’s not that. MD isn’t trying to sabotage AP. That doesn’t mean that money, or some contrived, ‘don’t want to commit to coaches for too long in case’ reason hasn’t played some part in the decision.

53 minutes ago, reddevil said:

It’s not that. MD isn’t trying to sabotage AP. That doesn’t mean that money, or some contrived, ‘don’t want to commit to coaches for too long in case’ reason hasn’t played some part in the decision.

I don’t think he’s actively trying to sabotage him but this feels different than Gruden and JMD. Those guys felt like they had carte blanche but perhaps that might be a Telesco thing. 

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I think Mark really wanted to get Brady and make Super Bowl in Vegas. That dream came and went. Davis still paying a lot on coaches.. so now he trying to cut cost and toning down the urgency to win