Packers Wide Receivers.

GHARMON9

Who is the best current Packers WR?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best current Packers WR?

• Christian Watson
    • Romeo Doubs
    • Jayden Reed
    • Dontayvion Wicks
    • Bo Melton

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I mostly agree, although if we can get two of Reed, Wicks and Watson to become “difference makers” that need to be accounted for, Doubs becomes dangerous as a smart and consistent WR 3.

Then the problem becomes you can't pay two guys at the top of the WR food chain and expect Doubs to stick around for chump change. We can take a year off from drafting a WR this year, but we are going to need to invest next year again. We can't (or at least shouldn't) go into 2025 with Watson, Doubs and Melton set to be free agents after that season.

We have to replenish the group which means one or two of the current guys will not (should not) be on the team in 2025. That very well could be Heath and Melton who are replaced by 2025 draftees. Then you will need to draft at least one more in 2026 under the assumption we are not extending both Watson and Doubs. Also, if Reed or Wicks turns into "that guy," by the end of year three, they are going to demand a new contract before the 2026 season. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

…if Reed or Wicks turns into "that guy," by the end of year three, they are going to demand a new contract before the 2026 season. 

This is when you sit them all down and explain to them the hard news that they are not exceptional receivers.

Sorry guys. You are being schemed open.

Let’s erase that last zero and call it good.

Reed was great .. probably even a little underutilized as well.  Wicks looked like he has the potential to be a top dog in this offense as well with his great route running and separation skills.  Doubs really came on at the end to show that he's got the skill level to be a top contributor.  Watson has #1 ability if he can get healthy and stay on the field.  Melton was a revelation .. guy can play.  Heath was also pretty good at times.  I don't think we need to add another one in this draft, but there could be a point where the value is too good to pass up.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Reed was great .. probably even a little underutilized as well.  Wicks looked like he has the potential to be a top dog in this offense as well with his great route running and separation skills.  Doubs really came on at the end to show that he's got the skill level to be a top contributor.  Watson has #1 ability if he can get healthy and stay on the field.  Melton was a revelation .. guy can play.  Heath was also pretty good at times.  I don't think we need to add another one in this draft, but there could be a point where the value is too good to pass up.

Reeds stats good great because he inherited Watsons gadget role…and was healthy all year….

57 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

This is when you sit them all down and explain to them the hard news that they are not exceptional receivers.

Sorry guys. You are being schemed open.

Let’s erase that last zero and call it good.

The next time that works will be the first time that works. 

• Like 3

Wicks had a receiving average of 14.9 yards per catch, second highest on the team.

Watson had the highest at 15.1 yards per catch
Bo Melton had the third highest 13.6 yards per catch
Reed the next at 12.4 yards per catch 

These are their respective 40 yard times:
Watson - 4.36
Melton -4.34
Reed - 4.45

What's cool about Wicks is he is not a burner 4.62 in the 40 but still gets great yards per catch, again that's all down to smarts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, persiandud said:

i'll also add that Watson obviously has the most upside. my gut feeling tells me he'll never be able to put it together, though. i hope i'm wrong. if he can, he's a superstar 

Yes, because he cannot stay on the field he may never realize his full potential.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Wicks had a receiving average of 14.9 yards per catch, second highest on the team.

Watson - 4.36
Melton -4.34
Reed - 4.45

What's cool about Wicks is he is not a burner 4.62 in the 40 but still gets great yards per catch, again that's all down to smarts.

I think you need a new avatar...   😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Watson - 4.36
Melton -4.34
Reed - 4.45

I see the King has cancer. Hoping a full recovery. 

What's interesting about this WR group is there is a ton of untapped potential, and a sense of competition between them that should bring out the best in them. 

This is a prove it season for Watson. Chronic injury trouble could end his career.

Also a year where we should wonder how high Doubs' ceiling is - gives me James Jones vibes, which is useful but not ideal in a big role. 

Wicks is the most intriguing as his instincts are incredible. But he has a lot to prove. 

Reed impressed as a rookie slot receiver. Also question how much of a ceiling there is.

Melton could pass all these guys next year. Highest ceiling IMO unless Watson starts staying healthy.

Heath is a non-factor to me in off-season decision making. If the right player is available at the right part of the draft, I don't mind replacing him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Watson - 4.36
Melton -4.34
Reed - 4.45

Watson was timed in the 4.28 in his 40.  Bing Videos    There was some controversy over his "official" time.  The guys is faster than anyone else we have.  No offense to Reed, Melton or anyone else.  Watson is just in a different class of athlete.  He's a high end sports car and as such, he's in the shop a lot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Watson was timed in the 4.28 in his 40.  Bing Videos    There was some controversy over his "official" time.  The guys is faster than anyone else we have.  No offense to Reed, Melton or anyone else.  Watson is just in a different class of athlete.  He's a high end sports car and as such, he's in the shop a lot.

Point being though that Watson with his elite speed had the same yards per catch his rookie season as Wicks did and Wicks runs a 4.62. Watson only beat Wicks by 0.2 yards per catch this year. Wicks is far more impressive IMO

Well, overall, Watson is our best receiver.  It isn't really even close.

Sure, he owes me money, but it goes deeper than that.  Just look at how teams defend the GB offense when he's on the field versus when he's hurt...which is often.  County the LOS, find the safeties and you will see that he commands attention out there.  And his presence opens up space for others to operate.

So that's my take.  Watson is our best WR.

But....what makes a WR?  Hands/catch radius, route running, speed.  I know I'm missing some, but go with me on this.  WR's are Watson, Doubs, Wicks, Reed in no particular order.  1-4.

Hands.  It's either Wicks or Reed for best hands.   I'll go Reed with 4 points, Wicks with 3 points, Doubs with 2 points, Watson with 1 point.

Route running.  Feeling like it is Wicks or Reed again, unless you assign more points for the attention Watson gets on deep routes.  I'll go Wicks 4, Reed 3, Watson 2, Doubs 1.

Speed.  Playing speed.  Watson 4, Reed 3, Doubs 2, Wicks 1.

Tally them up?

Reed, 10

Wicks, 8

Watson, 7

Doubs, 5

Reed wins that one kindda handily, no pun intended.  Personally I boost Watson higher for "my" WR list just because of the attention that he draws out there.

Feel free to expand on the grading stuff, add some more WR qualities and see what you get.  Maybe size?  Maybe Jet motion stuff?

• Like 2