Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

The more i think about it, the more i would like to see a Teven Jenkins extension prior to the start of the season (as well as DJ, but that's not the topic here)

We saw the guard market explode this offseason, with guys like Damien Lewis, Jonah Jackson, Robert Hunt, and Kevin Dotson get between 13.5M (lewis) and 20M (hunt) - i think locking jenkins up to a more managable contract/AAV prior to the season would be good business.

i know he's been injured each year for some period of time, but when he's been on the field, he's been a dude and a tone-setter. i trust poles to sign/draft enough depth players that are competent enough during the life of the contract to come in and be able to start a few games if necessary.

he's a homegrown, high draft pick, and keeping those guys is essential to team building. plus, nate davis, as we all know, doesn't instill a ton of confidence, and I'd hate to go into next offseason needing two new starting OGs. needing to get a depth OG in the 3-5th round is much different than needing to get a starting one in the 2-3rd. we have the cap space to sign him to hopefully get him on the lower end of the spectrum than seeing him explode this season and get the higher end or another FT (i.e. jaylon johnson)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’m not. Who cares lol. They’ll eventually get there.

Exactly where I’m at.  My panic level is at a 1/10.  If we get to camp and they’re not signed, then I’ll be irritated.  But until then it doesn’t matter to me if they signed their deal on draft night or until one hour before camp starts.

Don't know if right thread but don't care.

Well, it's pretty much conformed. I'm going to the November 10th Bears Patriots game. I'm pumped. Will be my first live game. And to boot, last October when I was in Las Vegas and met a chick that lived in Florida, but was originally from Chicago I made such a good impression i made a June trip for my 38th birthday to Florida to hang out with said chick, we now have plans to meat up in Chicago in November. I'm a Canadian who lives in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan lol.

Her brother still lives in Chicago, so I'll meet him and hope I have an easy in there now like I do Florida, haha.

Crazzy how I have never really traveled till the last year at 37.

Edited by DABEARSLCF04
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

The more i think about it, the more i would like to see a Teven Jenkins extension prior to the start of the season (as well as DJ, but that's not the topic here)

I think quite a few of us would but Poles seems to have made it clear that he wants more availability from Jenkins before he commits to a long term deal.  Jenkins agent has already reached out to Poles and so far has gotten "don't call us, we'll call you".

To be honest Jenkins should want that too.  How much guaranteed money he'll attract will be related to his ability to stay on the field where no one doubts his ability.  I think it's more likely he gets an offer later than sooner or not at all this year.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Does he ever think maybe it's think sort of overtraining that causes him all the issues? 

All we see here are some heavy squats.  We don't really know what his whole regimen is.  

W. Payton and J. Rice trained like maniacs and had very long careers.   I don't know what proper answer is to longevity and injury prevention.

If I was a pro football player of any position I would focus a lot on flexibility, especially in my joints, so I could be bent in awkward positions as much as possible without necessarily tearing something.  

If I was a linemen or even a RB I would always wear knee braces.  If I was a QB I would have extra rib protection and some extra padding on my back.  

If I was a DB I would seldom go for kill shots, at least not on anyone my size or bigger.  I would go for ball or strips instead or hold people up for others.   That is for outside tackles or open field.  Between tackles you have to just go low and hope you don't bust a shoulder or your neck.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

All we see here are some heavy squats.  We don't really know what his whole regimen is.  

W. Payton and J. Rice trained like maniacs and had very long careers.   I don't know what proper answer is to longevity and injury prevention.

If I was a pro football player of any position I would focus a lot on flexibility, especially in my joints, so I could be bent in awkward positions as much as possible without necessarily tearing something.  

If I was a linemen or even a RB I would always wear knee braces.  If I was a QB I would have extra rib protection and some extra padding on my back.  

If I was a DB I would seldom go for kill shots, at least not on anyone my size or bigger.  I would go for ball or strips instead or hold people up for others.   That is for outside tackles or open field.  Between tackles you have to just go low and hope you don't bust a shoulder or your neck.  

There is training heavy and then there is training heavy but this just doesn't seem smart IMO for Chubb at this point.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Who TF ever thought Chubb was human?!?! This was in high school. Kid punched his way out of the womb and went to order a steak and beer. 

71696839_10157326663925519_5054908406943

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think the key difference these days is that kids often fixate/specialize in a sport EARLY and play it year round. 

It used to be that kids would maybe play baseball part of the year, football a different part, and then play basketball over the winter, or some combination of sports. Point being they did different drills and used different muscles throughout the year. 

A good example of this modern overspecialization and overtraining is Lonzo Ball of the Bulls. He’s been training exclusively basketball since day one. He’s young, but his body is telling him that it’s time to be done. I think it’s going to be a much more common trend going forward.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If I was a DB I would seldom go for kill shots, at least not on anyone my size or bigger.

That’s why no one will remember your name

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

That’s why no one will remember your name

They would because I would play more than 3 years. 

This is all theory though.  When I actually played I ran full speed without slowing, threw my body everywhere and almost always hit with my helmet to inflict the most pain possible.  

I only ended up fighting people when young who probably should have whooped my ###.  

So I am probably full of it when I say I would be cautious.  It is more hindsight mentality view from an older man.