Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

All these knee-jerk reactions are so dumb honestly.

Yeah you can second guess a couple of calls from SF yesterday. You could do easily do the same thing for KC and you would if a punt didn't bounce on a SF calf... Shannahan brought his team to a SB twice with Jimmy G and a dude drafted dead last 2 years ago at QB. And couldn't do so last year because he literally ran out of QBs to play in the NFCCG. The same questions were asked about Reid during his Philly tenure and, guess what, it was hard to win one in an era with Brady, Manning and Favre/Rodgers with McNabb at QB.

While I'm at it. Yes Josh Allen is a great QB - just like Peyton was despite getting his *** kicked in the playoffs many times. And no Ravens shouldn't get rid of Lamar because Zay Flowers fumbled inches away from the goal line.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

I thought Purdy crushed it when getting pressured?  Is that not the case?

Is this a snarky comment because he didn't "kill it" and was just fine? 

Because if so, I think the problem here is the expectation of performance against pressure and what "killing it" against pressure is. 

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

All these knee-jerk reactions are so dumb honestly.

Yeah you can second guess a couple of calls from SF yesterday. You could do easily do the same thing for KC and you would if a punt didn't bounce on a SF calf... Shannahan brought his team to a SB twice with Jimmy G and a dude drafted dead last 2 years ago at QB. And couldn't do so last year because he literally ran out of QBs to play in the NFCCG. The same questions were asked about Reid during his Philly tenure and, guess what, it was hard to win one in an era with Brady, Manning and Favre/Rodgers with McNabb at QB.

While I'm at it. Yes Josh Allen is a great QB - just like Peyton was despite getting his *** kicked in the playoffs many times. And no Ravens shouldn't get rid of Lamar because Zay Flowers fumbled inches away from the goal line.

Correction. Kyle got to the Superbowl once with Jimmy G and once with Purdy.

The thing that I will die on the hill is Kyle continues to blunder the QB position. His father Mike made lesser known backs be very productive like Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, and found Terrell Davis I think undrafted. He didn’t mess around with the QB position. He had John Elway a 1st overall pick.

Kyle shouldn’t be settling for Jimmy G and Purdy. Especially in this day and age when you have to go up against Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, and you have Stafford and Murray in your own division. All those guys are difference makers where they don’t need to be in perfect situations to make great plays and win games.

In the playoffs the QB has to be special. If the Niners had Stafford I strongly believe Kyle would have at least one if not two Superbowls today. Stafford would’ve made one more play than Mahomes and found a way to win. He might not have beaten him both times but once I strongly believe. 

And again Purdy played fine. Jimmy G was good enough for three quarters but neither was special against Mahomes. We know Mahomes was going to be special when he had to be. And another thing Kyle will need to do is get an OC to help take the pressure off him. McVay has done that over the years to success. This season was so valuable to have Mike LaFleur to help McVay. Kyle need to do the same bc what he is doing isn’t working when push really comes to shove which is in these big games. He can’t keep choking like this.

Edited by stl4life07

7 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Correction. Kyle got to the Superbowl once with Jimmy G and once with Purdy.

The thing that I will die on the hill is Kyle continues to blunder the QB position. His father Mike made lesser known backs be very productive like Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, and found Terrell Davis I think undrafted. He didn’t mess around with the QB position. He had John Elway a 1st overall pick.

Kyle shouldn’t be settling for Jimmy G and Purdy. Especially in this day and age when you have to go up against Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, and you have Stafford and Murray in your own division. All those guys are difference makers where they don’t need to be in perfect situations to make great plays and win games.

In the playoffs the QB has to be special. If the Niners had Stafford I strongly believe Kyle would have at least one if not two Superbowls today. Stafford would’ve made one more play than Mahomes and found a way to win. He might not have beaten him both times but once I strongly believe. 

And again Purdy played fine. Jimmy G was good enough for three quarters but neither was special against Mahomes. We know Mahomes was going to be special when he had to be. And another thing Kyle will need to do is get an OC to help take the pressure off him. McVay has done that over the years to success. This season was so valuable to have Mike LaFleur to help McVay. Kyle need to do the same bc what he is doing isn’t working when push really comes to shove which is in these big games. He can’t keep choking like this.

He tried that once already. Remember a guy named Trey Lance?

They also wanted to sign Brady but failed.

6 minutes ago, General Tso said:

He tried that once already. Remember a guy named Trey Lance?

They also wanted to sign Brady but failed.

I keep thinking they didn’t truly give Lance a shot. But at the same time Kyle probably knew it was a mistake instantly after they drafted him bc they drafted him for the wrong reasons. 

As for Brady if they truly wanted Brady the first go around he would’ve been a Niner instead of a Buc. But Kyle held on to Jimmy G. At the time they believed in him in the same way the believe in Purdy. 

I know they won’t give up on Purdy but hypothetically I’d love to see the Niners go get Penix Jr. in the draft if he falls late 1st. His medical concerns is an issue but if relatively healthy Penix Jr. would be amazing for the Niners. He would be that difference maker at QB the Niners need.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Brock was fine tonight. I certainly am not going to come away from this game and have a lower opinion of Brock. It wasn't always pretty, a little stuttering, but that dude got hit 11 times and took 1 sack. I'm willing to bet the pressure numbers are pretty rough for the 49ers. I haven't seen them yet, but I will bet that he was under fire quite a bit. He did miss a couple of big throws, but overall I don't really have major issues with his specific performance. 

Keeping the negative plays away was a good job. 

It feels like Brock didn’t take advantage of the stacked boxes against the run as he should have.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Watch the play-calling. The plays Kyle called were vanilla as hell. The entire game. Should we expand the redzone to the 40 yard line and use that instead for you?

Kyle was beyond basic in Chief territory. Andy had some super clever plays, and did not play scared. 

How many FG’s did Kyle take?

Literally they had one of the cleanest trick plays in Super Bowl history go for a TD. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It feels like Brock didn’t take advantage of the stacked boxes against the run as he should have.

I think part of the overall gameplan was to put faith in Snead/McDuffie living on an island vs Aiyuk/Deebo - and for the most part, it seemed like it worked, those two CBs seemed to be in on any attempt to the WRs (which also explains why Juwan Jennings was getting open at will).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xenos said:

To be clear, he's not saying stacked boxes here, he's saying base personnel. That's not the same. 

Base personnel would typically be 4 defensive backs as opposed to a nickel corner. They are base a lot because the 49ers had Juice in the game about 60% of the time. I love Juice, but lets remember that the man is a fullback lol. 

Some of that is the Chiefs secondary is very good. They had 6 passes defensed in this game and Trent McDuffie was flipping awesome. There's a reason that people were saying he was the MVP through 3 quarters if the Chiefs won. They had 9 unblocked pressures on blitzes 

He was fine. I'd want that miss to Deebo back though. That was a tough one. But he's pretty far down on the rankings of who I'd put blame on in this one, tbh. 

• Like 2

The 10+ point lead thing is pretty misleading honestly.  Two of those were 10 points on the dot.  10 points is NOTHING in the landscape of the current NFL.  The score of this game going into halftime was 10-3 with the Chiefs getting the ball to start the 2nd.  That’s not a choke.  

In games that are this close it really is just going to come down to luck sometimes.  The 49ers lost multiple players to injury.   There were 7 fumbles in this game and the Chiefs recovered 6 of them.  The Chiefs just made something out of the opportunities given to them one more time than the 49ers.  It happens. 

If I’m going to REALLY blame Shanny for something it’s the clock management at the end of the first half.  You can’t leave an entire possession on the field like that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think part of the overall gameplan was to put faith in Snead/McDuffie living on an island vs Aiyuk/Deebo - and for the most part, it seemed like it worked, those two CBs seemed to be in on any attempt to the WRs (which also explains why Juwan Jennings was getting open at will).

Jennings and the other backup WRs were the most consistent pass catchers for the majority of the game, and it's 100% because of this. Felt like maybe they should've leaned into their depth and backs a little more if anything, but I kind of don't blame them at the same time. Our secondary won all year with the idea our guys are better than yours. Their skill guys won all year with the same philosophy. It's almost admitting defeat in a weird way to then go away from that at the end. 17 targets and 6 catches between Deebo and Aiyuk is rough. Kittle went 2 of 3, but only for 4 yards. Everybody else combined for 16 catches on 17 targets and 190 yards. They had success against our LBs and safeties. But you won all year trusting Aiyuk/Deebo/Kittle to beat their guys.

• Like 2

Random thoughts....at some point these blown leads will have a psychological effect on his ability as a coach. To even be at this level you have to be psychotically competitive to begin with. With the obvious caveat of not knowing him, I just can't fathom how anyone is just "okay" from these (in a professional sense).

The Chiefs defense was amazing - but that said, I think you really saw the stark difference between Purdy and Mahomes as the game wore on. That's not a knock on Purdy and I think Mahomes is in the fast lane to GOAT - but its the difference between having a QB that can overcome deficiencies. Or in other words, Purdy wasn't the reason the Niners lost but Mahomes absolutely was the reason the Chiefs won.

On that note, I wonder if at some point Shanahan trades or signs a vet QB. Financially this is probably not possible, but Cousins would be interesting and I think could be similar to the Rams and Stafford. The more I think about this, the more I think it will happen (whether its Cousins or someone else)....when will the Niners ever have a better chance than this? McVay felt the Rams were maxed out with Goff at the helm, and Shanahan could have a similar feeling after this.

I bet a small contingent of Niners fans and possibly other fans will push for Shanahan to be fired...that is beyond stupid. The number of coaches that have taken two different QBs to a Super Bowl is a very, very short list. And they had the lead in both 4th quarters, so they were that close to getting it done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jetzger said:

The 10+ point lead thing is pretty misleading honestly.  Two of those were 10 points on the dot.  10 points is NOTHING in the landscape of the current NFL.  The score of this game going into halftime was 10-3 with the Chiefs getting the ball to start the 2nd.  That’s not a choke.  

In games that are this close it really is just going to come down to luck sometimes.  The 49ers lost multiple players to injury.   There were 7 fumbles in this game and the Chiefs recovered 6 of them.  The Chiefs just made something out of the opportunities given to them one more time than the 49ers.  It happens. 

If I’m going to REALLY blame Shanny for something it’s the clock management at the end of the first half.  You can’t leave an entire possession on the field like that. 

10pts is something especially when you have a talented team with one of if not the best offensive mind that will continue to put points on the board or at worst keep the ball for long stretches to run the clock out.

The Niners had a 10pt lead against the Chiefs in the 4th quarter in the first Superbowl and blew it. They had a 10pt lead this Superbowl in the 1st half against a Chiefs team that was struggling on offense and had them frustrated.

Then in the NFCCG against the Rams they had 10pt lead heading into the 4th quarter. The offense had 36yds in the first 4 or so minutes in that quarter and the never picked up another yard the rest of the game with a turnover and should’ve been a pick 6 but Ramsey dropped it.

So yeah when you have a 10pt lead and then literally can’t do nothing with it in those moments it’s bad. Two of those games they just completely went in the tank. And I can give this game a pass bc at least they were putting points on the board with leads until the final play by Mahomes. But that Rams lost and the first Chiefs Superbowl lost is inexcusable for Kyle offense to completely go in the tank when all they needed was one or MAYBE good two drives and they win. But he showed you who he was as the OC of the Falcons when his offense went in the tank in the Superbowl blowing a 25pt lead. So as a HC he is still doing the same. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

On that note, I wonder if at some point Shanahan trades or signs a vet QB. Financially this is probably not possible, but Cousins would be interesting and I think could be similar to the Rams and Stafford.

When did this change happen that people think Cousins is all of a sudden a potential winner?

I have argued for YEARS that Cousins was a better QB than people thought and gone to war for Kirko. Yet, I've also been told for YEARS that no matter how good his stats were, he just wasn't a winner or a guy that could take over a game (all the same stuff we are saying about Purdy) and was forever relegated to the Dak / Lamar playoff choker label because of a 1-3 record and ~220 ypg in the playoffs.

Now folks (not just you) are suggesting he's the missing ingredient?

Brock Purdy is literally Kirk Cousins on a rookie contract with an unrealized ceiling imo. If they got rid of Brock to pull in a vet like this, I think Lynch should be fired on the spot lol.

• Like 1