Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 27 - Taco Bowl XXVII Posted)

1 hour ago, LAOJoe said:

I'll have Final Power Rankings up sometime today or tomorrow. Rankings are set but I want the comments to be half decent.

Bro I better be #1

I might be open to moving some guys as well. I could move Wyatt Teller, Joel Bitonio or Creed Humphrey. Maybe Aaron Jones but I'm leaning on keeping him after 2 great seasons. Maybe Drake London or Ja'Marr Chase. I could also move the #2 overall pick.

Posted (edited)

Final Power Rankings (Record, Last Week) [Preseason Rank]:

1. Little Rock Uni Royals (11-5, LW:4)[9] - The Royals are more than deserving champs.  They did well all season despite bad fumble luck. This title feels like one 4 seasons coming. 4 straight blue division finalists and it all started with Little Rock losing in the finals and now they came back and got the W. All the glory to the champs.
2. Rio de Janeiro Pirates (13-3, LW:1)[2] - Another strong record and another early exit. A very good and very consistent team to earn homefield throughout the playoffs but it wasn't a huge upset loss. Rio exploited major weaknesses but the great teams didn't have them and they were on the wrong end of those close games.
3. Indianapolis Predators (12-4, LW:3)[11] - The Predators were the absolute class of the Salsa Conference. They did really well defensively in stretches and converted some key 3rd downs but were always on the back foot as the Taco Bowl progressed.
4. Hamilton Hornets (11-5, LW:2)[1] - For all we know the season may have come down to the homefield advantage tiebreaker. Hamilton had a rocky first half of the season but finished strong with some big wins, eventually losing on the road to the champs. They couldn't defend their crown but it was still a very good season.
5. Freiburg Venom (10-6, LW:7)[12] - The Venom had 3 very tight games vs the Predators and could have been in the finals themselves had the ball bounced in their favour. The 2nd half of the season with who they beat and who they lost to didn't inspire the greatest confidence but the road playoff win vs the Polar Bears was the big statement that they weren't just a team that was lucky to just make the playoffs based on their schedule. The analytics already proved to me that they were a great team but the playoffs showed the world.
6. Reykjavik Direwolves (10-6, LW:6)[7] - They split with Rio in-season before losing to them in the first round of the playoffs. They also beat Freiburg and Hamilton. They had struggles with Lancaster but besides that they didn't have many more upset losses than most other great teams. Lamar was a force this season and he helped lead the Cheesy Conference to All-Star victory. They are the last of the elite teams.
7. Greenland Polar Bears (11-4-1, LW:5)[6] - Looking back on their schedule, they really didn't beat anyone truly great. They lost handily to Little Rock at home and lost close road games to Hamilton and Indianapolis. No shame in those losses but they never really proved themselves. They went 5-0 vs Phoenix, Egypt and Scranton. They were still a great, albeit weird, team but they weren't elite.
8. Butte Bots (9-7, LW:10)[8] - They just needed the Direwolves to lose that last game to get into the playoffs but it wasn't to be. They were a very good team but unfortunately they were in a very good conference.
9. Lancaster Fighting Amish (9-7, LW:9)[17] - They had a decent start with awful analytics but then started playing better as they continued to win. They just had to beat Butte to make the playoffs but fell short. They were much better than expected in the preseason.
10. Egypt Starfalls (8-8, LW:13)[16] - They looked solid most of the season but had consistency issues. Had they not stumbled vs Burlington at home in week 15, they would have made the playoffs and played Indianapolis, who they split with.
11. Hanoi Viet Kongs (7-9, LW:11)[4] - Hanoi was a decent team with very good wins vs Hamilton, Reykjavik and Lancaster but a tough schedule and letting some easier games get away from them knocked them out of the playoff picture early. Despite that they played very well with Mac Jones trying his best to lose them games and that shows even more of what a good team the Viet Kongs were and how much better they could have been.
12. Scranton Papermakers (7-9, LW:12)[18] - They looked very good after a slow start, beating Little Rock, Freiburg and Butte. They were set to make the playoffs but then got upset on back to back weeks by Anchorage and Cincinnati. They beat Phoenix and got an Egypt loss on week 16 to somehow still be alive for the playoffs but they got royally screwed by some patented Greenland BS to lose by 1 in the finale to get eliminated.
13. Phoenix Rubber Ducks (9-7, LW:8)[3] -  The Rubber Ducks weren't an awful team but they weren't a good one. They were very consistent with their wins and losses though. They lost to every team with a winning record and won against every team with a losing record except for at Scranton. But Scranton was the one good team of the bunch so a split isn't surprising and leads me to believe the Ducks are just mid. They fall below Hanoi and Scranton despite having 2 more wins and making the playoffs because both those teams despite being inconsistent have proven their worth against 3 good teams each.
14. New Zealand Blobfish (6-10, LW:14)[10] - They are the last of the okay teams. They honestly weren't that bad this year. They had many losses and allowed too many points but they had multiple good victories beating Lancaster, Greenland, Egypt, Reykjavik and Freiburg. Lake Minnewanka was their other win.
15. Anchorage Amphibians (6-9-1, LW:16)[5] - Anchorage looked to have a decent start to the season beating Little Rock and tying Greenland while losing to Hamilton and Phoenix. Those were all expected to be good teams. However, that was where their season peaked and while they made some big games close, they never truly looked to be threatening another upset.
16. Burlington Sock Puppets (5-11, LW:15)[20] - They actually looked good at times but they were missing that little something to be consistent. I knew they'd be a bad team but I was hoping I'd be wrong and was rooting for them most games. They got great wins vs Hamilton, Hanoi, Little Rock and Egypt, including 3 of them on the road.
17. Cincinnati Buffleheads (6-10, LW:17)[19] - Every time it looked like Cincinnati may be able to get some momentum they have a dud game. Their highlights were winning back to back games once and beating Little Rock on the road. The previous 2 teams weren't horrible, but they were definitely bad. The Buffleheads weren't horrible either but they were definitely close.
18. Lake Minnewanka Ice Orcas (4-12, LW:18)[15] - Lake Minnewanka had the worst point differential in the league with -86. They'd have a case for being the worst team if they didn't beat Wattsville and the teams below weren't just as bad.
19. Wattsville Waste Walruses (3-13, LW:19)[14] - The only reason they aren't in last may simply be because they were the home team vs Tokyo in week 4. It may be as simple as that. That result had Tokyo go full tank and trade Dak to Wattsville. That trade didn't help.
20. Tokyo Samurai (2-14, LW:20)[13] - Had they won in week 4 they'd have had Dak for a bit longer and maybe won a few more games, but, then again, that didn't help the Walruses. They only had 2 wins all season and they were at home. Tokyo are your worst team of the year.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

19. Wattsville Waste Walruses (3-13, LW:19)[14] - The only reason they aren't in 1st may simply be because they were the home team vs Tokyo in week 4. It may be as simple as that. That result had Tokyo go full tank and trade Dak to Wattsville. That trade didn't help.

Didn't help?

I drafted a raw WR early in the draft, had few other picks of substance and tried an obscure strategy to see if it would pan out for this year. Through four games, it was clear that it wouldn't work, which led to me obtaining a legitimate QB and blowing up the defense for a fresh approach entering next season.

If I'm able to rebound and build a winner, Dak will be a big part of that. And, if that happens, that trade certainly helped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Didn't help?

I drafted a raw WR early in the draft, had few other picks of substance and tried an obscure strategy to see if it would pan out for this year. Through four games, it was clear that it wouldn't work, which led to me obtaining a legitimate QB and blowing up the defense for a fresh approach entering next season.

If I'm able to rebound and build a winner, Dak will be a big part of that. And, if that happens, that trade certainly helped.

I meant for winning this season.

3 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

I meant for winning this season.

I traded away a slew of strong defenders and added a ton of picks. Holding the team's lack of success against Dak is sort of misleading, considering that I was also weakening the team to gain future assets.

Guess I'm just not a fan of the wording. The move for Dak was for the future.

• Like 1