Best modern offensive coordinator who never became a head coach?

Here'sJim

Did Rick Dennison ever get interviews? 

Darrell Bevell's name always came up.

I one time thought Norm Chow was the next big thing. 

Remember Clarence Shelmon?

On the defensive side, Dean Pees?

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think Scarnecchia was ever a coordinator.

offensive line coach, assistant head coach, special teams coach, tight ends coach, defensive assistant, special assistant, and essentially everything a run game coordinator does. I think he was an interim head coach briefly too but I may be wrong. He basically covered enough of the offense and was as essential and involved as an offensive coordinator that I wanted to mention him as I feel he is my best answer.

*edit: yeah 1992 while the HC was ill Scarnecchia was the head coach for eight games.

Edited by DoleINGout

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Tom Moore was the first to come to mind for me.

All Peyton bro. That was all modified to fit what Peyton likes to do, and eventually was Peyton entire scheme. Peyton is also possibly the best pre snap QB ever and changed plays at his discretion. I think Peyton would have been even better with a different OC. 

10 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

All Peyton bro. That was all modified to fit what Peyton likes to do, and eventually was Peyton entire scheme. Peyton is also possibly the best pre snap QB ever and changed plays at his discretion. I think Peyton would have been even better with a different OC. 

I don’t think that’s fair to say. Peyton was amazing and was definitely the catalyst for that offense, but he wasn’t a 1-man show. He didn’t create the offense/formations/shifts. He executed it to perfection and it was obviously schemed up for him to operate it in-game by himself, but the idea that it was all 100% Peyton is garbage. Moore was certainly helped by that, but I call BS that it would’ve been better with someone else.

And how would it have been better with a different OC if it was all Peyton calling the shots?

• Like 1

This is so easy. Al Saunders was an architect for helping some of the best offenses in the NFL with the Rams and the Chiefs. Great Olines, great running game and a lethal passing game. Guy was a genius and would slide 100$ crispies into the playbooks. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Tom Moore’s play calling gave Manning 2 pass plays and 1 run play for each snap and he decided which based on the coverage. I think people give Manning too much credit and don’t give Moore enough 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Ramster said:

This is so easy. Al Saunders was an architect for helping some of the best offenses in the NFL with the Rams and the Chiefs. Great Olines, great running game and a lethal passing game. Guy was a genius and would slide 100$ crispies into the playbooks. 

Would have been my answer too, except he actually was a head coach it turns out. Back in the 80s with the Chargers.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1