Packers Prospect Visit Thread

pgwingman

46 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Some people get annoyed with these because they say we meet with everyone or whatever, but they've shown to be useful in many cases in the past.

The top 30 visits are important, they meet with just about everyone at the Combine and all-star games. Those really aren't. 

• Like 3

Packers drafted 4 guys they had visits with last year (all day 3 picks), signed 1 as UDFA, and claimed 1 off waivers.

Darnell Washington TE Georgia 6-6, 264 9.87
Will McDonald IV OLB Iowa State 6-4, 239 9.66
Jordan Howden S Minnesota 5-11, 203 8.80
Jammie Robinson S Florida State 5-11, 191 5.97
Dontayvion Wicks WR Virginia 6-1, 206 9.06
Marte Mapu DB Sac. State 6-3, 217 N/A
Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee 6-3. 217 N/A
Darnell Wright OT Tennessee 6-5, 333 9.77
Keion White DL Georgia Tech 6-5. 285 9.91
Lew Nichols III RB Central Mich. 5-11, 222 N/A
Sean Clifford QB Penn State 6-2, 218 N/A
Evan Hull RB Northwestern 5-10, 209 9.18
Jaquelin Roy DL LSU 6-3, 305 4.80
Dalton Kincaid TE Utah 6-4, 246 N/A
Ben Sims TE Baylor 6-4, 250 8.35
Atonio Mafi OL UCLA 6-4, 329 N/A
Tyrique Stevenson CB Miami 6-0, 189 8.90
Josh Whyle TE Cincinnati 6-6, 248 8.90
Quan Martin S Illinois 5-11, 194 9.28
Felix Anudike-Uzomah OLB Kansas State 6-3, 255 8.73
Ryan Miller WR Furman 6-1, 210 6.97
Rashee Rice WR SMU 6-1, 204 9.53
Kadeem Telfort OT UAB 6-7, 322 1.59
Tanner Morgan QB Minnesota 6-0, 204 3.60
Camren McDonald TE Florida State 6-4, 237 2.32
Quindell Johnson S Memphis 6-0, 204 7.31
Karl Brooks DL Bowling Green 6-3, 296 5.88
Scott Matlock DL Boise State 6-4, 296 9.66
Adonicas Sanders WR Temple 6-0, 189 2.80
Tyrus Wheat OLB Miss. State 6-2, 263 7.19
Keaton Mitchell RB East Carolina 5-7, 179 6.18

Local visit: WR Cole Tucker, Northern Illinois; DL Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern

Visits by position: QB (3), RB (3), WR (4), TE (5), OL (3), DL (4), EDGE (3), CB (1), S (4)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Packers drafted 4 guys they had visits with last year (all day 3 picks), signed 1 as UDFA, and claimed 1 off waivers.

Yep, I was going to say with so many late picks this is as much about doing some extra scouting on the longer shots with upside than it is the premier guys. For the consensus top 50-100 guys there is already a lot of info and connections from the top schools etc.  This is a good way to see how the next Karl Brooks is wired and if you think it’s worth the shot vs. getting your 1st rounder squared away.

*I forgot we had Kadeem Telfort from UAB. He’s a massive human and we just picked up his former  coach as our assistant OLine coach. Will be interesting to see what’s cooking there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

Yep, I was going to say with so many late picks this is as much about doing some extra scouting on the longer shots with upside than it is the premier guys. For the consensus top 50-100 guys there is already a lot of info and connections from the top schools etc.  This is a good way to see how the next Karl Brooks is wired and if you think it’s worth the shot vs. getting your 1st rounder squared away.

*I forgot we had Kadeem Telfort from UAB. He’s a massive human and we just picked up his former  coach as our assistant OLine coach. Will be interesting to see what’s cooking there. 

I remember wanting to draft Telfort late, just to be sure that we got a look.  At least on the surface, he seems like a Yosh clone.  And if he can become what Yosh did, we get a good player for minimal monetary investment.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I remember wanting to draft Telfort late, just to be sure that we got a look.  At least on the surface, he seems like a Yosh clone.  And if he can become what Yosh did, we get a good player for minimal monetary investment.

Between him and Caleb Jones, who’s in his own category of massive, we have some giants to replace Yosh who was a worthy project. Nijman had some pretty good feet and athleticism for such a big guy, I don’t know if he has the quick fire off the line and demeanor to be great but I hope he finds a spot somewhere. We are back to the drawing board and I appreciate the OL factory we have been developing. I hope to get an infusion of some quality talent there through the draft and keep building our young guys up. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

Between him [Telfort] and Caleb Jones, who’s in his own category of massive, we have some giants to replace Yosh who was a worthy project. ...

Always hard to know what the team has seen from these guys, and what management thinks.  Ready, just waiting for some opportunity?  Or too stiff and slow to ever be more than emergency fill-in?  I have no clue what Gute thinks.  

2 hours ago, craig said:

Always hard to know what the team has seen from these guys, and what management thinks.  Ready, just waiting for some opportunity?  Or too stiff and slow to ever be more than emergency fill-in?  I have no clue what Gute thinks.  

I think it’s the old “God only created so many humans of that size” philosophy. You take a few lottery tickets there and respect the developmental side of your program. If you can turn one of those giants into even a solid depth piece, it’s a win. If you get a late round starter on the line, it’s a home run. 

On 2/27/2024 at 3:46 PM, Packerraymond said:

The top 30 visits are important, they meet with just about everyone at the Combine and all-star games. Those really aren't. 

Gutey on the combine and meetings: “This week is a huge part of the process.” “Some of us are meeting with them for the first time” “ This week has always been exceptionally important”

also mentions medicals being very important and help determine if they’re a fit for the Packers 

• Like 1