Packers Prospect Visit Thread

pgwingman

10 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

I don't think you completely ignore the position in the draft though. You have to at least consider one of the options available which, at the moment, looks like Nubin, Bullard, and Sione Vaki as a late round flyer who could move to the dime-backer role we were trying with Tariq Carpenter recently. 

Signing a vet at safety wouldn't preclude drafting a safety.  Not adding another vet safety almost forces the need to draft 1

Pairing Cole Bishop with McKinney makes way too much sense.

Think you could disguise a lot with those two. 

Also I think at worst AJj is "ok". For a floor. I think he showed he belongs on an NFL field got a tip pick. So he's at least in the right spots lol

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Pairing Cole Bishop with McKinney makes way too much sense.

Think you could disguise a lot with those two. 

Also I think at worst AJj is "ok". For a floor. I think he showed he belongs on an NFL field got a tip pick. So he's at least in the right spots lol

Agreed, both Utah Safeties seem to fit what we're trying to do on defense, but the difference is that the one we've talked to is probably a dime-backer at the next level vs. the one we haven't talked to...

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

Signing a vet at safety wouldn't preclude drafting a safety.  Not adding another vet safety almost forces the need to draft 1

I'll put it this way then: we're going to need to draft one regardless of whether or not we sign another one in FA.

6 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

I'll put it this way then: we're going to need to draft one regardless of whether or not we sign another one in FA.

There is 5 Safeties currently on the roster and they usually go to camp with 8 or 9, they will add safeties to the 90-man. This shouldn't be a news flash to anyone, but they will still be adding players to every position group on offense and defense. There are still 21 open roster spots, the 'need' people really don't need to be in a panic. 

6 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

Agreed, both Utah Safeties seem to fit what we're trying to do on defense, but the difference is that the one we've talked to is probably a dime-backer at the next level vs. the one we haven't talked to...

Eh I don't put too much stock in the visits and things. Draft guys all the time we've never talked to, the prospects had no idea the Packers had ANY interest.

I've decided to spend my Saturday finding out which prospects the Packers are known to have talked to or have interest in. I trawled through the Packers subreddit, Twitter, Acme Packing Company, Tony Pauline's draft articles and this forum. 

The Packers are heavily interested in some players namely DL Khristian Boyd, CB Max Melton, RB Kimani Vidal. We're looking at alot of DB and OL which considering the current makeup of our roster, it makes sense. It's likely we're looking to draft a centre. Tanor Bortolini and Graham Barton are getting looks here. I get the vibe that the Packers really like DT Myles Murphy but I'm constantly seeing the Vikings name crop up around him. However if the Vikings trade up to nab a QB then this would take them out of the picture. I also get the vibe that the Packers are serious about drafting a QB, I don't think Gute was lying when he said he wanted to get back to drafting multiple QBs.

Packers Top 30 Visits
1 OL Zak Zinter
LB Edgerrin Cooper (+Shrine)
DT Michael Hall Jr
4 CB Jarrian Jones
DL Khristian Boyd (Pro Day + Shrine)

Known Combine Interest

DT Myles Murphy (+ Shrine)

OT Kiran Amegadjie
CB Rayshad Williams (+ Shrine)
  QB Bo Nix
OL Donovan Jennings (+ Shrine)

OT Matthew Goncalves
OL Deiyantei Powell-Woods (+ Misc)

WR Xavier Worthy
RB Audric Estime

C Graham Barton
CB Ennis Rakestraw Jr

QB Michael Pratt
S Javon Bullard  
WR Adonai Mitchell
RB Jonathon Brooks

OL Taliese Fuaga
RB Braelon Allen

OL Kingsley Suamatia
CB Max Melton (+ Senior Bowl)
  DB Sione Vaki
DB Nate Wiggins

LB Trevin Wallace
EDGE Chop Robinson
  S Evan Williams
DE Jared Verse  
S Kamren Kitchens
S Tyler Nubin   RB Kimani Vidal (Pro Day & Senior Bowl)

Pro Day Interest    
Senior Bowl Interest
CB Kool-Aid McKinstry

DT T'vondre Sweat
CB Kamari Lassiter
    QB Joe Milton
WR Jermaine Burton    
QB Spencer Rattler
C Tanor Bortolini (Pro Day + Senior Bowl)
    OT Patrick Paul
S Larence Johnson

RB Trey Benson      

Other    
S Omar Brown (Shrine)

DB Akeem Dent (Hula)
WR Cam Johnson (Showcase)

DB AJ Woods (Hula)
OL Marcellus Anderson (Showcase)

LB Winston Reid (Hula)
DL Justin Blazek (Showcase)

CB MJ Devonshire (Shrine)
QB John Rhys Plumlee (Hula)

S Trey Taylor (Shrine)
OL Doug Nester (Hula + Shrine)

LB Curtis Jacobs (Shrine)
DB Rayshad Williams (Hula)

LB Steele Chambers (Shrine)
QB James Cahoon (Misc)

RB Aidan Robbins (Misc)
Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

@Chili how did you gauge the "known" interest in players from the combine, etc?  Were these guys that were seen directly talking to the Packers, or mentioned it in interviews?  I am not doubting you, I just wondered how we are determining which players at which events the Packers were more interested in.

11 hours ago, Chili said:

Found the tweet:

I really like him as a prospect. He's a project, but one worth taking given the athleticism. Stick him behind Quay and McDuffie for a year or two and he'll blossom IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

@Chili how did you gauge the "known" interest in players from the combine, etc?  Were these guys that were seen directly talking to the Packers, or mentioned it in interviews?  I am not doubting you, I just wondered how we are determining which players at which events the Packers were more interested in.

Packers subreddit, Twitter, Acme Packing Company, Tony Pauline's draft articles and this forum

As you can see, various sources. The main one is Easton Butler on twitter who is actively collecting Packers interest and visits info and tweeting it out.

https://twitter.com/Easton__Butler

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:57 PM, HighCalebR said:

Pairing Cole Bishop with McKinney makes way too much sense.  Think you could disguise a lot with those two. ...

HighCaleb is a smart and thoughtful scout, and likes Bishop.  So, if we get Bishop, we'll like that pick, and have good hopes for him.  

I like NFLDraftbuzz site.  Includes rankings from some other sites, so I can see if Draftbuzz rankings seem out of whack. 

Anyway, Draftbuzz lists Bishop as #8 safety, #104 overall, with no safety higher that #39.  And Gute said the safety class is pretty good.  If Bishop is good, and there are 7 other safety prospects who are as good or better, having 8 reasonable safety prospects within the 39-108 range seems like a sweet match for a draft where we have 4 picks in 41-91 range.  

Obviously Gute won't value them the same as Draftbuzz does.  But it seems like there is a pretty good pool of possibilities within the area where we'll have picks.  Probably not as cool as last year's TE pool, but it kinda reminds me of that:  we wanted/needed TE, and there was a handful of those who were top-100 but weren't going to go top-30.  

@ThatJerkDave

Only problem with Easton Butler he doesn't cite his sources. Eg. a tweet from elsewhere or from a Tony Pauline article. I know he reads Tony Pauline because he tweeted out stuff I know I've read in the articles. I appreciate his effort at gathering the info but his source game is weak.

His most recent tweets for example:

I don't know where he got it from but if I had to wager a guess he probably got the info from some other social media site since searching his name on twitter does not yield any info.

EDIT: FOUND IT! he got it from this website who interviewed the player

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/27/tarheeb-still-nfl-draft-interview

Another one:

Again he doesn't cite where he got it from but it's probably from this tweet.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1