Packers Prospect Visit Thread

pgwingman

My best Collinsworth "Now here's a guy Packerraymond really likes on day 3."

You won't find a guy in this class with a more diverse snap count, hundreds of snaps in the slot, deep and in the box. Oregon State played him everywhere.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There definitely could've been a medical flag at the Combine they wanted a 2nd look at. We took Wyatt (almost certainly a character check visit with Wyatt) other than that I don't recall a 1st round pick coming off our visit list. We had Pickens in during the 2022 visits and clearly weren't interested in him by the time the draft rolls around. 

Gute has said they use the visits for interest/recruiting on the day 3/UDFA crowd and for information gathering on the top 100 crowd. Something with Guyton required a 2nd look.

Only thing I'd quibble with here is not taking a top 30 visit in the 1st/2nd round doesn't mean they weren't interested or wouldn't take a guy - just might be as simple as someone they liked more were available in the Drafts.  Think HighCaleb made the point earlier -- probably better than I just stated it

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No one has ever said being 6'8 takes you off the Packers board, but if it moves you down the Packers board, ..

Yeah that makes sense.  I'm sure they've got a very complex collection of factors that get considered, height being one of many.  Maybe they've got 15 factors in the equation, and being 6'8' reduced one of those factors by a bit.  

I think this whole discussion began with "Ross Uglem maintains he's too tall for GB to draft based on past tendencies."  So, kinda someone did say that being 6'8" is too tall for GB to draft.   

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I wouldn't bet on it either, however, the man moves like a tight end at 6'8''.  

We assume that there is a height threshold.  But if the threshold looks at movement skills first, then height?  Guyton is going to pass that test with flying colors.

As a general rule, I agree.  But Guyton is not your typical 6'8'' NFL athlete.

Its less about movement are more about base.  Can he stay low to counter bullrush?  Stay low and drive for efective run blocking?   As height increases,  close quarters leverage decreases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

Seeing patterns and trends is fine, but Sober is right that every year it seems we're breaking one or coming close, sooner or later.  Don't draft 1st-round old guys, but Wyatt.  Don't draft 1st-round LB, but Quay.  Don't draft shorties, but Amari.  Don't draft little guys, but Reed.  Wasn't Jaire fringy short?  Zach Tom is a shorty outlier on a roster where all of the other tackles are 6'9"-6'6".  

I like that Gute is pretty flexibly case-by-case, and is willing to bend for particular players.  Whether Guyton is that guy, beats me.  

Certainly it's easier to flex the less you're investing.  So sure, going super-tall on UDFA maybe isn't the same as early-round.  And flexing for a Guyton at 41 or 58 is different than at 25.  

1st round vs 3rd +.  Thresholds + quality of player grade and value.

• Like 2

I can get on board with Guyton if the draft falls a certain way. Still don't have firm rankings on o-line, but I would prefer someone who could play tackle OR guard than a tackle-only like him or Mims in the first.

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

Its less about movement are more about base.  Can he stay low to counter bullrush?  Stay low and drive for efective run blocking?   As height increases,  close quarters leverage decreases.

You are right, but if a large man can move, he can also bend.  Ogden was one of the best ever at 6'9'' 345.  That man could move!  Easily played guard and tackle.  

It can be done.  But obviously, Ogden was a pure generational talent at his size.  Maybe even better than generational at his size.

I'm not confusing Guyton for him.  Just pointing out that Guyton moved so well at his size that he played tight end.

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You won't find a guy in this class with a more diverse snap count, hundreds of snaps in the slot, deep and in the box. Oregon State played him everywhere.

Forgot we added Perkins to the coaching staff as well (ex-Oregon St. CB coach). Could be something there...

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Okay......a good resume...but why day 3?

Re-reading draft projections on Oladapo today and came across this gem in NFL Draft Buzz.    List a strength and then immediately contradict yourself by listing a weakness.  Way to cover all the bases.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • He’s also very good in zone coverage, showing a great understanding of routes and the ability to close quickly.
COUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Re-reading draft projections on Oladapo today and came across this gem in NFL Draft Buzz.    List a strength and then immediately contradict yourself by listing a weakness.  Way to cover all the bases.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • He’s also very good in zone coverage, showing a great understanding of routes and the ability to close quickly.
COUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.

Yeah I’ve seen a few like that. Forget what the last one was I saw but it had like 3 strengths that were then all listed as weaknesses. Maybe it just means they are inconsistent lol

13 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Yeah I’ve seen a few like that. Forget what the last one was I saw but it had like 3 strengths that were then all listed as weaknesses. Maybe it just means they are inconsistent lol

I know someone here said they moonlit as one of these analysts, and there was a good amount of body type/athlete copy pasta.

Lot of prospects to watch many snaps on when it's a hobby..