Packers Prospect Visit Thread

pgwingman

Assuming the interview doesn't raise red flags, at the very least I have to believe Gute sees Guyton as a legit candidate for one of the RD2 picks.  If Guyton goes to GB at #41,  does the height thing even qualify as a meaningful threshold that would push OT's down Gute's board?  Who knows, maybe watching guys like Jones and Tenuta in practice has altered Gute's viewpoint.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Assuming the interview doesn't raise red flags, at the very least I have to believe Gute sees Guyton as a legit candidate for one of the RD2 picks.  If Guyton goes to GB at #41,  does the height thing even qualify as a meaningful threshold that would push OT's down Gute's board?  Who knows, maybe watching guys like Jones and Tenuta in practice has altered Gute's viewpoint.

Man.  I LOL'd at that post, just because of what was going through my head.  

Here's where I'm at with Guyton.

I'd cringe if we took him at #25.

And I'd be so elated if we took him at #41 or #58 that I'd attempt a cartwheel.  I'd say a flip, but let's get honest here, the flip would be more like just a flop on the ground.

But that how weird that prospect is to me.  Pure cringe, then 15 picks go by to pure elation.  

It's very odd.  Maybe it's like passing on a 6.5 at the bar at 10:30PM, only to find her still there at 2:00AM.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I would guess that height is the least important of all the physical factors for any of the positions. 

Also, we probably have to consider that most 6'8 guys (and there really aren't many) are not playing football at a high level.  If you happen to be that tall, and are athletic, you were probably funneled toward basketball.  

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would guess that height is the least important of all the physical factors for any of the positions. 

Also, we probably have to consider that most 6'8 guys (and there really aren't many) are not playing football at a high level.  If you happen to be that tall, and are athletic, you were probably funneled toward basketball.  

Anyone who watched the Senior Bowl tape of Guyton had to come away knowing that not only is he quick of foot and powerful, dude can also bend at the waist and play the leverage game.  

For this one player, Guyton, height doesn't appear to be an issue.  Not saying it isn't for anyone else.

Also?  Dude looks like he would have been a helluva power forward in the older NBA game.  That big fella has sweet feet and can move.

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm with @vegas492: he's great at 41, total chidt at 25.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:05 PM, Packerraymond said:

My best Collinsworth "Now here's a guy Packerraymond really likes on day 3."

You won't find a guy in this class with a more diverse snap count, hundreds of snaps in the slot, deep and in the box. Oregon State played him everywhere.

Glad we're bringing him in, he may not be starter quality or at least initially, but the floor is solid and reliable depth IMHO.

6 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Do you take him over Rosengarten, Morgan, or Suamataia if they were all there at 41?

If all of them are deemed a project, then it's a coinflip between Guyton and Morgan at 41, coinflip between those two at Suamataia at 58. Rosengarten is a 3rd rounder to me; an early 3rd, but a 3rd.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

I'm with @vegas492: he's great at 41, total chidt at 25.

Woa, woa, woa, WOOOOOOAAAAA.

I believe, firmly, that there is an absolute great athlete there with Guyton.  Guys that large should simply not move or bend like he can.

The only reason I'd cringe is because it would be yet another year of drafting a guy in the first round knowing that we will bring him along slowly and that he won't help for immediate success as a starter.  Well, that an with any project, there is a higher bust probability.  And?  Now that I think of it?  He's a pure tackle.  Given that he can bend, he may be able to play guard, but I'm not digging that role for him.  

He's not "total chidt".  It's more about me wanting someone who can actually come in and help right away, versus someone who will likely need a year to "get it" and be ready to play.  

20 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

You aren't getting Guyton at 41, that's one of Palmy's "Dancing Bears" all day long, and from what I heard about him at the Senior Bowl, the interviews were outstanding, competitive, driven dude.

Planet Theory guy, they make very, very few of him. Very boom or bust but some OL coach between 20-30 is going to pound the table and say they can make him a franchise LT and their GM will buy in.

My personal preference for pick 25 isn't set in stone yet, but Guyton will be there with DeJean, Wiggins, Barton, and Newton as the 5 guys I hope we're picking from. I know his height may bring down the odds, but that's a guy that our OL staff has never seen before, I'd be very curious to see what they can do with him because he is every bit the freak Mims is with movement at his size.

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My personal preference for pick 25 isn't set in stone yet, but Guyton will be there with DeJean, Wiggins, Barton, and Newton as the 5 guys I hope we're picking from. I know his height may bring down the odds, but that's a guy that our OL staff has never seen before, I'd be very curious to see what they can do with him because he is every bit the freak Mims is with movement at his size.

Wiggins better put on about 15-20 pounds between now and camp if he wants Gute to pick him. 

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wiggins better put on about 15-20 pounds between now and camp if he wants Gute to pick him. 

Weighed 182 at his Pro Day so he added 9 lbs from the Combine.     Not sure if he actually plays in that low/mid 180 range and dropped weight to run and workout well at the Combine or if he added weight just for the Pro Day but can't sustain that 180+ weight during the season?