Packers Prospect Visit Thread

pgwingman

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would say maturity concerns is a better choice of words for Burton. More "late for meetings, not going all out in practice" type concerns there than the usual context for "character issues" sounds like neither Alabama nor Georgia's staff were pounding the table for the kid at pro day, which probably leads to the need for more time with him 1-1. Much like Pickens, the visit either places him on our board, or takes him off it.

Booker is a really interesting one, we were told he's like the uber athlete freak who played very few snaps in college, then he tests and he's not a freak at all, middling athlete actually. Lance Zierlein has hyped him up with his Maxx Crosby comp and top 30 grade. For me, he's a mid round 4 guy for a 3-4 team, I'd honestly love to know what our reasoning is in this new system for using a 30 visit on him. I just don't see the fit at all unless he falls to the late 3rd and you just really like him as a sub package only guy.

Wonder if Booker is someone that might be able to add some mass and be used differently 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I would say maturity concerns is a better choice of words for Burton. More "late for meetings, not going all out in practice" type concerns there than the usual context for "character issues" sounds like neither Alabama nor Georgia's staff were pounding the table for the kid at pro day, which probably leads to the need for more time with him 1-1. Much like Pickens, the visit either places him on our board, or takes him off it.

Booker is a really interesting one, we were told he's like the uber athlete freak who played very few snaps in college, then he tests and he's not a freak at all, middling athlete actually. Lance Zierlein has hyped him up with his Maxx Crosby comp and top 30 grade. For me, he's a mid round 4 guy for a 3-4 team, I'd honestly love to know what our reasoning is in this new system for using a 30 visit on him. I just don't see the fit at all unless he falls to the late 3rd and you just really like him as a sub package only guy.

I stated this before in a prior mock where I had Chop at 25. We don't know how much of the Niners D has rubbed off on Hafley including being okay (and even wanting) a twitchy wide-9 type rusher. Ryans drafted Will Anderson who's about 245 and the Niners just added Floyd this off-season who plays at like 240. 

Chop might end up being a bit short in the arms for us but Booker is a bit longer and may be a fit if Hafley wants that type of player even though that's typically not Gute's style.

Top 30 visits end next Friday. So far, here's the complete list of reported visits: 

1. OL Zak Zinter, Michigan
2. LB Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M
3. DL Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State
4. CB Jarrian Jones, Florida State
5. DL Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa
6. CB Ja’Quan Sheppard, Maryland
7. S Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State
8. DB Omar Brown, Nebraska
9. LB Ty’Ron Hopper, Missouri
10. OT Amarius Mims, Georgia
11. DB Chris Edmonds, Arizona State
12. OT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
13. RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
14. CB Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
15. WR Jermaine Burton, Alabama
16. Edge Austin Booker, Kansas
17. S Akeem Dent, Florida State

Also saw an unconfirmed report about Trevin Wallace (LB - Kentucky) being a Top 30, but no credible source on that yet. 

Packers have also met with local day prospects (ex: Wisconsin, NW, etc.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Top 30 visits end next Friday. So far, here's the complete list of reported visits: 

5. DL Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa

Packers have also met with local day prospects (ex: Wisconsin, NW, etc.)

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/breaking-down-the-rules-regarding-pre-draft-rookie-visits

"Players who attend college or reside in a club’s “metropolitan area” can be given a physical examination without counting against the 30-player limit, unless the club provides transportation for the visit. Also, a player who attends college or whose hometown is in a club’s “metropolitan area” may be timed and tested at the club’s facility, as long as the club does not provide transportation.  “Metropolitan area” is defined as contiguous suburbs. There isn’t a 25-mile, 50-mile, or any other type of mileage radius rule. The league office uses the 2011 Rand-McNally Road Atlas to determine the metropolitan area of a city."

Neither Northwestern nor Madison would seem to fall within the Green Bay "metro" area.  I'm guessing the link I'm quoting from is lacking some nuance?  

Northern Iowa, Khristian Boyd has to be outside the Packers "local" "metro" area?  

3 hours ago, craig said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/breaking-down-the-rules-regarding-pre-draft-rookie-visits

"Players who attend college or reside in a club’s “metropolitan area” can be given a physical examination without counting against the 30-player limit, unless the club provides transportation for the visit. Also, a player who attends college or whose hometown is in a club’s “metropolitan area” may be timed and tested at the club’s facility, as long as the club does not provide transportation.  “Metropolitan area” is defined as contiguous suburbs. There isn’t a 25-mile, 50-mile, or any other type of mileage radius rule. The league office uses the 2011 Rand-McNally Road Atlas to determine the metropolitan area of a city."

Neither Northwestern nor Madison would seem to fall within the Green Bay "metro" area.  I'm guessing the link I'm quoting from is lacking some nuance?  

Northern Iowa, Khristian Boyd has to be outside the Packers "local" "metro" area?  

NFL has always allowed all the WIAC schools, the D2 Minnesota schools, Northern & Western IL, Northwestern, and all the non B1G/Big12 Iowa schools to be a part of Packers local day. Otherwise there would be St Norbert Oshkosh and Stevens Point, that's it.

Boyd would be a local visit for sure.

• Like 1

The whole Packers local day has always been a little frustrating to me, don't know if they have ever released a complete list of prospects that they hosted. It's not like they are keeping other teams from knowing, a complete list of local day and 30-visits is turned into the league and every team knows what every other team has done. The only one kept in the dark is the fans. 

Not every team approaches this the way the Packers do, last year the Colts hosted 46 prospects and invited the media to come and watch as many worked out. The Colts also handed out the list of 46 names in attendance. 

It is something I wish the Packers were a bit more fan friendly about, it's not like they are losing a competitive advantage by sharing this information.