Should Saints rebuild or are they close to being a NFC contender again?

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I think the Saints will be back to being in a good cap space sooner than people expect, but it's going to definitely cost the Saints some of their young talent going forward.  With the cap jumping $30 million this year due to the recent TV deals, I wouldn't be surprised to see the cap make rather large jumps the next few years as well.  But to be able to do that while staying cap compliant, they'll need to let some of their good, but not great players walk due to being overpaid elsewhere, unless they get them locked in before FA with a reasonable deal.

Really just Olave, right? 5th year him, they’ll probably be in the clear to retain him if they give him another contract with voided years.

28 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So, you think they kept last year Michael Thomas because he was worth his $14M cap hit? Not because they didn't want to escalate it to a $31M cap hit with the dead money of losing him added in?

Do you think they extended Derek Carr because they believe in him as a QB who can make them a superbowl contender in the coming years? Or did they do it because they needed to push his salary down the road to get cap compliant?

Their cap situation dictates their personnel decisions. That is cap hell. It's not about whether or not they can get under the cap. Every team can do that, there are too many tools available to not. Cap hell is the cost of getting compliant. The good players you can't keep, the bad ones you can't get rid of. Yeah, they'll get compliant. They won't cut anyone (because they can't) to do so. They'll roll it back next year with the same core that no one thinks is going to get them anywhere, because that's all they can do.

Like, is it a healthy cap situation when if Cameron Jordan retires next year, you'll be paying $22M against the cap for him?

Lol what "people who actually know"? Saints fans on Twitter?

They haven’t lost any key players due to salary cap reasons. They thought Hendrickson was a fluke and thought Davenport was ready to take the next step, an mis step but it wasn’t related. Saints offered Marcus Williams almost the exact contract he got from Baltimore, he just chose to leave. They were in “cap hell” last season, got complaint and signed a QB to a mega deal. 

They aren’t constrained by the cap. They were always restructuring Carr’s deal. If the cap continues to rise, the Saints will continue to be fine and will just continue to push money into the future. It’s a credit card you never have to pay off. 

19 minutes ago, massraider said:

Thanks, I understand it just fine.

So does Jason from OTC:

The benefit to trading Lattimore is not 24 cap relief. It's 25 and 26 cap relief, which they need. See, Some People who don't know the cap think that by clearing enough space for this year, everything is fine. 25 and 26 look terrible for them as well, because of the insane contract they gave to Carr, and then in order to clear space, they are going to add more Void years to Carr's deal, making it harder to get away from him. 

This team is not avoiding Cap Hell by adding void years and getting under the cap. They are dead in the middle of Cap Hell, right now. Just because they a re able to field a team, actually put people on the field, does not mean they are able to build a team. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space  LOL-----Click on 2025. See where it says the Pats have 200 mill in cap space?  Scroll all the way down the bottom there. See that one team in RED, with NEGATIVE $51 million?

That's not from whiffing on 1st round picks. 

lol

2026 situation is fine

2025 they can easily get compliant without losing any player of value, the current number also doesn’t reflect the releases of Michael Thomas and Marcus Maye

If they trade Kamara, and designate Ramcyzk a post 6/1 cut they’re almost complaint. Ramcyzk never recovered from his knee injury and Kamara will be inching towards the dreaded 30. Yes, such doom and gloom though. They’re screwed for a decade. 

Edited by Kingram

3 minutes ago, Kingram said:

If they release Kamara, and designate Ramcyzk a post 6/1 cut they’re almost complaint. Ramcyzk never recovered from his knee injury and Kamara will be inching towards the dreaded 30. Yes, such doom and gloom though. They’re screwed for a decade. 

You are discussing clearing 50 mill in cap space in a year, and they haven't even added any free agents, or signed any players this year. And they aren't done adding more money to the 2025 cap. They are going to make it worse. Their 2025 obligations are going to grow. They still need to clear 17 mill in cap space, guess where that's most likely to happen? Ramcyzk and Kamara, of course.😆

They're not screwed for a decade. They are screwed for a year or two, but unless they change their ways, they will screw themselves for another decade. 

They are not in a position to sign mid-level free agents for this year, or next year. Will this team be in a position to tag Olave? 

They have to build through the draft, and don't have a 3rd or a 4th this year. 🫣

They should trade that #14 for as many picksw as possible, because they need ONLY cheap young talent for two years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, massraider said:

You are discussing clearing 50 mill in cap space in a year, and they haven't even added any free agents, or signed any players this year. And they aren't done adding more money to the 2025 cap. They are going to make it worse. Their 2025 obligations are going to grow. They still need to clear 17 mill in cap space, guess where that's most likely to happen? Ramcyzk and Kamara, of course.😆

They're not screwed for a decade. They are screwed for a year or two, but unless they change their ways, they will screw themselves for another decade. 

They are not in a position to sign mid-level free agents for this year, or next year. Will this team be in a position to tag Olave? 

They have to build through the draft, and don't have a 3rd or a 4th this year. 🫣

They should trade that #14 for as many picksw as possible, because they need ONLY cheap young talent for two years. 

Hey I'm all for trading back from the #14 pick as outside of a couple potential players dropping that BPA you take regardless of needs, I don't think that what will be available at #14 compared to say #24 is going to be all that different based on what the Saints needs are.  The problem is that if I can see that, then teams will definitely see that, and who's going to trade up and give those picks to the Saints?

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

Hey I'm all for trading back from the #14 pick as outside of a couple potential players dropping that BPA you take regardless of needs, I don't think that what will be available at #14 compared to say #24 is going to be all that different based on what the Saints needs are.  The problem is that if I can see that, then teams will definitely see that, and who's going to trade up and give those picks to the Saints?

Someone who sees a top 10 player on their board still there.

Maybe it's the last OT on the board, maybe it's someone who wants Byron Murphy, or one of the CBs. Maybe Verse or Turner. Draft is a long way away, and really really unpredictable. 

I don't think there is always a trade to be made, this is the real world. I was only pointing out that the Saints should be in the volume game in the draft, because they need backups that cost 600 grand, not 2 million. 

34 minutes ago, Kingram said:

They haven’t lost any key players due to salary cap reasons. They thought Hendrickson was a fluke and thought Davenport was ready to take the next step, an mis step but it wasn’t related. Saints offered Marcus Williams almost the exact contract he got from Baltimore, he just chose to leave. They were in “cap hell” last season, got complaint and signed a QB to a mega deal. 

They aren’t constrained by the cap. They were always restructuring Carr’s deal. If the cap continues to rise, the Saints will continue to be fine and will just continue to push money into the future. It’s a credit card you never have to pay off. 

You answered none of the questions in the post you quoted. 

I would have gutted the whole roster and rebuilt but at the same time the NFC South is so poor, you can't fault them for thinking they can win the division and compete in the playoffs. One of these days though, its gonna happen. It could be in 2025. If Saints don't win the south this year I think we finally see them tear it down and it will be a complete rebuild.

1 hour ago, massraider said:

They do not need to clear 13M still, you are incorrect. I’ll bet you a lot of money Ramcyzk and Kamara aren’t traded or released. 

They can absolutely sign mid level free agents. I guarantee you were spewing this same stuff last year before they handed out a $150M contract 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

You answered none of the questions in the post you quoted. 

Sure I did. I’ll answer the remaining.

The intention was always to restructure Derek Carr, BECAUSE THE SAINTS STRUCTURE THEIR CONTRACTS TO BE RESTRUCTURED. It’s not hard to understand.

Michael Thomas move was because they believed in him and wanted him to be around with Carr. Now they’ll release him because it was always a one year deal after the restructure.

Carr was fine last year and finished the last 8 games incredibly strong with arguably the worst OC in football. I think the Saints believe in him as their QB for the next 2-3 seasons, for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Kingram said:

They do not need to clear 13M still, you are incorrect. I’ll bet you a lot of money Ramcyzk and Kamara aren’t traded or released. 

I know they won't be traded or released. Because they cannot afford to. That's 50 mill in dead cap they would have to eat. 

Because they are run so badly.

Instead, they will probably have to restructure one or both of them, LOL

10 minutes ago, massraider said:

I know they won't be traded or released. Because they cannot afford to. That's 50 mill in dead cap they would have to eat. 

Because they are run so badly.

Instead, they will probably have to restructure one or both of them, LOL

Guarantee you they don’t restructure either of them to the point they can’t be moved on from next off season 😁

56 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Sure I did. I’ll answer the remaining.

The intention was always to restructure Derek Carr, BECAUSE THE SAINTS STRUCTURE THEIR CONTRACTS TO BE RESTRUCTURED. It’s not hard to understand.

Michael Thomas move was because they believed in him and wanted him to be around with Carr. Now they’ll release him because it was always a one year deal after the restructure.

Carr was fine last year and finished the last 8 games incredibly strong with arguably the worst OC in football. I think the Saints believe in him as their QB for the next 2-3 seasons, for sure. 

So you don't think that the Saints are restricted by the cap and forced to make moves because they've been financially reckless, you think they just make stupid roster decisions based on belief, then.

That's a choice, but okay. I'm not sure I'd find that comforting as a Saints fan, but more power to you, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So you don't think that the Saints are restricted by the cap and forced to make moves because they've been financially reckless, you think they just make stupid roster decisions based on belief, then.

That's a choice, but okay. I'm not sure I'd find that comforting as a Saints fan, but more power to you, I suppose.

Who said it’s comforting? They believe in Carr. I didn’t say I do. 

They just aren’t in cap hell. Do they have as much flexibility as the Patriots? No, but they can make moves they want to make in the off-season.