Should Saints rebuild or are they close to being a NFC contender again?

9 minutes ago, Kingram said:

They believe in Carr. 

Are you basing that off of his restructure, which they’re forced to do? Or their comments, which they’re forced to make?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soko said:

Are you basing that off of his restructure, which they’re forced to do? Or their comments, which they’re forced to make?

They weren’t forced to make the restructure. They could’ve easily hit the reset button and cut Carr after next season, but they clearly believe in him. He finished the season very strong so I’m not surprised they want to give him more time.

People also don’t understand how poor of a coach Carmichael was. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kingram said:

They weren’t forced to make the restructure. They could’ve easily hit the reset button and cut Carr after next season, but they clearly believe in him. He finished the season very strong so I’m not surprised they want to give him more time.

“After next season”, lol. They could not get cap compliant this year without restructuring him. They were forced to push his money forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soko said:

“After next season”, lol. They could not get cap compliant this year without restructuring him. They were forced to push his money forward.

They could’ve, but sure.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:16 AM, Raves said:

I think the Saints will be back to being in a good cap space sooner than people expect, but it's going to definitely cost the Saints some of their young talent going forward.  With the cap jumping $30 million this year due to the recent TV deals, I wouldn't be surprised to see the cap make rather large jumps the next few years as well.  But to be able to do that while staying cap compliant, they'll need to let some of their good, but not great players walk due to being overpaid elsewhere, unless they get them locked in before FA with a reasonable deal.

So to those that are suggesting trading their picks for future year picks, that's only going to work if teams want to trade up and are offering up those picks.  I do think trading back through is a good option for them as it'll let them have more chances of getting younger players ready to step in when players are about to walk due to their cap cost.  The Saints were a year late in trying to find Terron Armstead's longterm replacement, so they made the deal with Philly to get 2 picks in that range so they can try and ensure Olave who they really wanted as well as Penning who they hoped would take over at LT or another player they had rated high in that range if Penning was gone.

I think the bolded two concepts could very likely work together in conjunction.

Trading back, but being in a bit of a unique position to be able to accept future compensation along with a current year pick, could give them a competitive advantage for teams that might be willing to mortgage a slightly better "future pick" in a trade up, compared to dealing with other teams that might be demanding all "current year" picks right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think the bolded two concepts could very likely work together in conjunction.

Trading back, but being in a bit of a unique position to be able to accept future compensation along with a current year pick, could give them a competitive advantage for teams that might be willing to mortgage a slightly better "future pick" in a trade up, compared to dealing with other teams that might be demanding all "current year" picks right now.

I would be all for the 49ers using their 25 1st to make a big move. The team is lacking in several key areas- namely pass rush and offensive line, and needs to push in the chips for now

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, Kingram said:

People also don’t understand how poor of a coach Carmichael was. 

You got the full Carrbage time experience. Dude stinks it up all season until the games mean nothing then plays well. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

You got the full Carrbage time experience. Dude stinks it up all season until the games mean nothing then plays well. 

The games were all very meaningful, but okay. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Like 1/3 of his passing TD's came in the final 2 weeks with the season effectively over.

They literally lost the division on a tie breaker. The last two wins of the season were huge. You couldn’t be more wrong but you’ll never admit that, so. 

Edited by Kingram
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kingram said:

They literally lost the division on a tie breaker. The last two wins of the season were huge. You couldn’t be more wrong but you’ll never admit that, so. 

Don't fall for the Carrbage time trap