Should Saints rebuild or are they close to being a NFC contender again?

Right now they're trapped in the hell of not being bad enough for high draft picks but not good enough to truly compete. Sure they might have enough to win an underwhelming division, but I doubt they'll be satisfied with being a big fish in a small pond.

They need to blow it up and go through a rebuild.

They can't do either imo. Their contracts have them by the testes. 

I'd say they are closer to drafting at no.1 than 32. 

I'd start offloading anything they can anyway they can. Cut Kamara and trade Davis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yup. Theyre screwed one way or another. 

I don't know the feasibility of this, but they should try to trade their current draft picks for future ones. Push everything good down the road a little bit so it times out well for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't know the feasibility of this, but they should try to trade their current draft picks for future ones. Push everything good down the road a little bit so it times out well for them.

Absolutely. I just think pride gets in their way & they kick the can one more year…foolishly 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

What should they do with the roster? 

blow it up. take their lumps and get out of cap hell. Otherwise, they're stuck with an aging, overpaid roster for the next 3-4 years, minimum.

23 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

General consensus seems to be that they're unable to rebuild due to terrible cap management. They're overpaying a bunch of over the hill or just straight up bad players. With all the restructuring they've done over the years they're locked into guaranteed contracts and can't alleviate the cap in any way except to continue restructuring and extending the guys they've got.

So basically... neither. They can't rebuild for a few years and their roster isn't particularly good.

The good news is that the NFC south is a very weak division and they can probably win it. They're not going anywhere in the playoffs if they do, however.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints

Red means negative.

Thing is, if Atlanta or Tampa or even Carolina can strike lightning with a QB, those teams would all beat the Saints easily. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

blow it up. take their lumps and get out of cap hell. Otherwise, they're stuck with an aging, overpaid roster for the next 3-4 years, minimum.

I lm not sure they can cut people. Unless they want to lose draft pick as they would be over the cap. This is cap hell we haven't seen before.

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

This isn't actually a bad idea.  I'm not sure they can justifiably just straight up push things altogether.  But i could see something like the Patriots always used to do, being beneficial to them.

That whole "trade down for an extra pick next year" routine.  Maybe even do it multiple times wherever you can.  Where it felt like they always just had a bunch of extra draft picks in their pocket when that next year rolled around (though also partially due to comp picks).

I think it'd mostly let the Saints continue on with really the only thing they can do at this point.  Just keep going with what you're stuck with, try to bolster it enough where you can with young talent that can help in the future, and just do not get tied in to more long-term cap mess than you already are.

It'd let them still make some picks and get those young players in there developing, but having extra future year picks in your pocket is a good idea when you're stuck in on nightmarish Purgatory as the Saints are right now.  Those extra picks probably come in real handy down the line when you've cleared the books a bit and can actually start thinking about a proper rebuild.  Or maybe even comes time to pony up to climb the draft for a QB some day.

13 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Well maybe marginal isn't the right word for Olave, he was a good prospect and is a good young player. 
It's more the Saints strategy/process that I'm questioning here. It seems like they are always trading up in the draft (24 times in the last 16 years as of after the 22' draft - most in the NFL) but at some point keeping your draft picks helps you out for the long-term health of the team. 
I don't like the logic of giving up a FRP in the next draft for the OT4 (Penning) in the current one, seems short-sighed to me, especially since you just traded up for Olave (who himself wasn't the top WR prospect) like 10 picks ago... 
It's not like the Saints are a true contender in the last few years, what are they trying to keep together? A team that plays for .500? 

To be fair, I would kill for us to not have made that trade with Saints for Olave. I hated it at the time and I still hate it today. They barely gave us anything to move up from 16 and Rivera still did nothing with the pick. 

It's not just the old players on the Saints causing the problems.Penning and Ramczyk should be mainstays but Penning has flopped and Ramczyk looks done. They can cut him as June 2 cut and save 17 mil this year but he'll have more than 20 mil in dead money for 2025. So they have to just run off some terrible contracts.

They should remember the first rule of holes and stop digging, at least as much as they can. 

Trading down for more draft picks might work for them but I'm not sure about trading current year picks for future years. They need to add some cheap, younger talent to their roster. They just need to draft better and stop trading up. Let the draft come to them and take the best players available. Carr is probably the best QB in their division so they can stay viable for a playoff spot even as they clear cap space. 

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

⚠️ CONSIDER THIS A FORMAL WARNING FOR THAT THREAD TITLE ⚠️

Source: the Saints are the third-best team in the worst division in football.

With some key moves for the Panthers, the Saints are the worst team in the worst division in football.

• Like 1