QB discussion topic

AFF

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Reports are Kirk Cousins is gonna end up in ATL. Raiders are trying to move up. Which means the price for Fields may be next to nothing. 

New England still a team to watch. Not based off any intel or report but it just makes sense to me if they aren’t in love with the leftover QB at 3 and want to take MHJ or even Nabers.

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

New England still a team to watch. Not based off any intel or report but it just makes sense to me if they aren’t in love with the leftover QB at 3 and want to take MHJ or even Nabers.

They are my Russ Wilson watch team and I’ve read they might be one of the teams that like Nabers over MHJ. 

15 hours ago, warfelg said:

They are my Russ Wilson watch team and I’ve read they might be one of the teams that like Nabers over MHJ. 

Vikings are my Russ Wilson team, but again just off my gut feeling. I have seen them linked to Trey Lance too though. 

Man, I am excited to start seeing where all these dominoes fall.

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Vikings are my Russ Wilson team, but again just off my gut feeling. I have seen them linked to Trey Lance too though. 

Man, I am excited to start seeing where all these dominoes fall.

Don’t be surprised if the Patriots sign Wilson and draft Harrison Jr.

FWIW I was listening to Yinz know ball podcast this morning and they make a good point about a potential Fields trade…

If it comes to a point where the draft capital needed to acquire Fields is low enough that you can justify him being brought in as merely “competition” for Pickett, then it starts to make a lot more sense. The biggest problem of giving up a 2nd or even a 3rd is that you cannot realistically say anything other than Fields is the starter and they are giving up on Kenny. If it ends up being a day 3 pick however, you can justify it a lot easier by saying Kenny still has a chance to win the job.

So I think that’s what they are holding out for. The price becoming low enough to where they can still hold a legit QB competition. And as of now the market is looking like Fields is more of a high-end backup/bridge QB than a sure fire starter for whatever team he is traded to. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

FWIW I was listening to Yinz know ball podcast this morning and they make a good point about a potential Fields trade…

If it comes to a point where the draft capital needed to acquire Fields is low enough that you can justify him being brought in as merely “competition” for Pickett, then it starts to make a lot more sense. The biggest problem of giving up a 2nd or even a 3rd is that you cannot realistically say anything other than Fields is the starter and they are giving up on Kenny. If it ends up being a day 3 pick however, you can justify it a lot easier by saying Kenny still has a chance to win the job.

So I think that’s what they are holding out for. The price becoming low enough to where they can still hold a legit QB competition. And as of now the market is looking like Fields is more of a high-end backup/bridge QB than a sure fire starter for whatever team he is traded to. 

I agree with this take. If we can get him for a 4th or even something lower, I'd jump all over it. He's in the same boat as Kenny in terms of situation. Obviously he's shown more than Kenny, but currently they're both 1st rounders bordering on being busts. If we could let them compete, it'd be great. I'd rather do that then sign Tannehill. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Them having  2 4th rounders(back to back in fact) is a nice thing to have…whether it’s for a trade up somewhere or in this case if true for Fields.

• Like 1

Sounds weird, but I honestly don't want a QB competition. If we are not making a move for an immediate starter over Pickett, than this year needs to end with knowing what we have (or don't have). 

I wouldn't want to get into a scenario where we are like 6-3 and Pickett isn't playing very well, but for continuity of wins we keep playing him. Go on a 3 game skid and now it's Fields turn, but we only get a 5 game sample size. 

I don't want to ride the "what if" train at QB. It's unfortunately we didn't get to see Pickett without Canada for more than 1.5 games. But I wouldn't make a choice that could lead us down that same road for another year. 

If we are looking at purely putting competition against Pickett, go get Tannahill or Mason. Neither are the future, so if Pickett fails it doesn't stop us from knowing we need QB next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Sounds weird, but I honestly don't want a QB competition. If we are not making a move for an immediate starter over Pickett, than this year needs to end with knowing what we have (or don't have). 

I wouldn't want to get into a scenario where we are like 6-3 and Pickett isn't playing very well, but for continuity of wins we keep playing him. Go on a 3 game skid and now it's Fields turn, but we only get a 5 game sample size. 

I don't want to ride the "what if" train at QB. It's unfortunately we didn't get to see Pickett without Canada for more than 1.5 games. But I wouldn't make a choice that could lead us down that same road for another year. 

If we are looking at purely putting competition against Pickett, go get Tannahill or Mason. Neither are the future, so if Pickett fails it doesn't stop us from knowing we need QB next year. 

This makes a lot of sense too. Good point. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

This makes a lot of sense too. Good point. 

IMO the skill of getting a franchise QB isn't really the talent evaluation or acquisition abilities. It's not about landing the plane, but understanding when to hit eject on one that's going to crash. 

Alex Smith was 22-9 with a playoff win the two seasons before the Chiefs drafted Mahomes. 

Tyrod had 41 TDs, a winning record, and a playoff appearance for a VERY tear it down to build it up team before they traded up for Allen. 

The Eagles traded multiple day 1 and 2 picks to move up for Wentz who they gave a big contract too....and then cut him for, at the time, big dead cap money and changed their entire offense for Jalen Hurts. 

Know when to hit eject and to upgrade. Unfortunately, we don't have a great sense of that right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

IMO the skill of getting a franchise QB isn't really the talent evaluation or acquisition abilities. It's not about landing the plane, but understanding when to hit eject on one that's going to crash. 

Alex Smith was 22-9 with a playoff win the two seasons before the Chiefs drafted Mahomes. 

Tyrod had 41 TDs, a winning record, and a playoff appearance for a VERY tear it down to build it up team before they traded up for Allen. 

The Eagles traded multiple day 1 and 2 picks to move up for Wentz who they gave a big contract too....and then cut him for, at the time, big dead cap money and changed their entire offense for Jalen Hurts. 

Know when to hit eject and to upgrade. Unfortunately, we don't have a great sense of that right now. 

Goes back to sunken cost fallacy.

Im of the thought process if you don’t think the QB have is or can be a top 5-7 QB….move on one way or another.

• Like 3