And................. Russell's Gone

AKRNA

And NOBODY here buys the "I'm the scapegoat" spin you'll try to put on this, just walk away with your tail between your legs.

Also, looks like we'll take the bigger Cap hit number this year, so more dicing will be coming soon. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 2

This may or may not be a popular opinion here, but I really do wish him all the best. Yeah he’s corny, and the ridiculous entourage was just silly. And he clearly isn’t the same player anymore so it was time to move on. But the guy is all the other things you want from a personality standpoint. He works hard. He’s polite. He’s not out beating the sh*t out of his kids or shooting himself in nightclubs. He doesn’t do drugs, or hang out with gang bangers on his off time. You never once had to worry about his off the field actions bringing shame to the organization.

I hope he lands on his feet somewhere and is able to at least wipe off some of the tarnish the last two years have put on his legacy. It was certainly a bad move on our part to trade for him, and it’s good that we’re moving on. But I wish him absolutely no ill will and I hope his otherwise HOF worthy career doesn’t get judged by his time here. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

This may or may not be a popular opinion here, but I really do wish him all the best. Yeah he’s corny, and the ridiculous entourage was just silly. And he clearly isn’t the same player anymore so it was time to move on. But the guy is all the other things you want from a personality standpoint. He works hard. He’s polite. He’s not out beating the sh*t out of his kids or shooting himself in nightclubs. He doesn’t do drugs, or hang out with gang bangers on his off time. You never once had to worry about his off the field actions bringing shame to the organization.

I hope he lands on his feet somewhere and is able to at least wipe off some of the tarnish the last two years have put on his legacy. It was certainly a bad move on our part to trade for him, and it’s good that we’re moving on. But I wish him absolutely no ill will and I hope his otherwise HOF worthy career doesn’t get judged by his time here. 

I agree. If he had been traded elsewhere where another team mortgaged its future by wasting both draft assets and cap room on him and he was available for the likely vet minimum he will get on the open market for a 2 year deal (due to offset language in his contract) I would be all for the broncos singing him as a bridge starter 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

2022 broncos has to be the worst offseason in NFL history right? Arguably worst HC hire ever. Arguably worst trade ever.  Worst contract ever. Draft class headlined by Bonitto and Dulcich. FA class headlined by Randy Gregory.

Worst in this franchises history by far. If it was  just a mistake or two that's one thing but it was non stop, huge bad decisions for months.

I hated it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree. If he had been traded elsewhere where another team mortgaged its future by wasting both draft assets and cap room on him and he was available for the likely vet minimum he will get on the open market for a 2 year deal (due to offset language in his contract) I would be all for the broncos singing him as a bridge starter 

He'll be a great deal for somebody.

11 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

From what I've been reading, it's a post June 1 cut so cap hit will be spread across two seasons. 

Another mistake. We will not be  competitive this season . Eat all the cap this year to really have a chance to compete in 2026 in year 3 post Russ.

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

Another mistake. We will not be  competitive this season . Eat all the cap this year to really have a chance to compete in 2026 in year 3 post Russ.

I understand the sentiment but after playing around with the contracts on sportstrac I realized we would have had to cut/trade essentially every player worth a damn to make the numbers fit this season. That would have left us with no talent moving forward. We will still likely need to move on from 2/3 top WR, DJ Jones, and one of Bolles or Simmons, plus a couple more lesser paid players and a bunch of restructures 

• Like 2

Hindsight is always 20/20, but his time here was nothing short of disastrous. That said, I am thankful we pulled the bandage off as soon as it was realistic to do so. The Chiefs are still well within their contention window so I don't think there's any real hurry to do anything other than lay the groundwork for the future. Reading the tea leaves seems quite clear that the next week or so is going to be quite busy with moves.

I'm in the camp of burning it all down and starting fresh. I know that won't happen, but I think it should. Get what you can for some combination of Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, hell Surtain should be on the table for the right price. There's no sense in trying to continue the same tightrope walk that has landed us in purgatory for the last decade or so.

Hopefully Russ signs another contract with some offsets. I'm unclear who even takes a flier on him, but I am certain someone will.