Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

5 hours ago, massraider said:

I think the worst case for the Minshew signing is if we DON'T get our guy at QB. 

I expect us to make a move, or try and make a move. If they cannot, which is always possible, AOC and Minshew are fallback for the season. 

I can see that but also, if the top few prospects are gone or we’re unable to trade up within reason then I wouldn’t want the FO to just throw muck at the wall and hope something sticks, we shouldn’t take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB because we’re desperate. That would be a foolish move. It’s not ideal but if we had to punt on this year and look to next I’d at least be able to rationalise it.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

All this talking about QB or bust. What are people comfortable trading up for a QB then? Are you willing to give up multiple years of 1s/2s/3s to get Daniels? Are you still giving up big assets to leapfrog Denver or Minny for Nix or JJ?

The Raiders will likely be bidding against multiple, multiple teams for the services of a "high upside QB".

This is the dilemma. We have to throw all historic precedent out the window regarding a trade up into top 3. From 13 to 3 when all 3 top teams need a franchise QB, when there are 3 fairly undisputed potential franchise QBs is gonna cost crazy amounts to even pique anyones interest.

So when people say trade into top 3 like it’s just a simple choice is not thinking about quite how much it would take imo. Like you say multiple years of 1/2/3s.

And if Minn is serious about JJ and have a more likely partner in the Chargers, then we have to beat them and get to 4. How much will that cost? 13 to 4 in this context? Could that be multiple 1s and more? Particularly when the Cards would be out of picking one of the elite, possibly generational WRs?

We can talk all we want about being bold, getting our guy, winning franchises will go big to get their QB - but really wanting this to happen won’t make it so when their are so many external factors that will affect the outcome.

I’d be happy to trade pretty big for any of the above scenarios to happen - but the circumstances out of our control make it unlikely imo

• Like 4

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If we didn't have AOC I would love this move. High-end #2 and capable spot starter. However I am a little confused as to how our FO envisions things playing out with Farva.

I feel like if he is relegated to #3 it's a waste of space, his development and reps would be next to nothing. 

If he cant beat out Minshew it really doesnt matter if he gets no reps.

We are looking to find a long term answer at QB, and we might get a shot in the draft. However we also might not get the shot to draft a guy the FO believes in. To me this signing just says that the FO has seen enough from AOC this year to not trust him to be the backup plan in case we don't find our QB in the draft. And Minshew is considered a decent backup plan, which i understand. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah but sell out to get who. Pushing qb a year seems like a recipe for disaster. Even Nix or Penix in the 2nd round are well worth the gamble. We need to add a young player with UPSIDE asap

i think we should just draft a qb every year untill we have our guy & as long as it is seen by our FO as good value for the spot where we take him. If we cant get the guy we want in the 1st, then draft a guy in the 2nd if the value is right. If it isnt do it in the 3rd or 4th. 

Obviously you'd like this to be a 1st round talent when the value is good, but my main point is just make sure you always at a prospect untill we have our guy

12 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

All this talking about QB or bust. What are people comfortable trading up for a QB then? Are you willing to give up multiple years of 1s/2s/3s to get Daniels? Are you still giving up big assets to leapfrog Denver or Minny for Nix or JJ?

The Raiders will likely be bidding against multiple, multiple teams for the services of a "high upside QB".

Due to his trade history i can't imagine Telesco willing to give up multiple years of picks for  a QB.  And imo he has much more job security if he goes bpa and just let the draft come to him then to bring the farm to move up for a qb. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For the top 3 qb’s I’d do 3 1sts. But no more than that. Ideally Maye would be my target but i think he goes 2. 

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah but sell out to get who. Pushing qb a year seems like a recipe for disaster. Even Nix or Penix in the 2nd round are well worth the gamble. We need to add a young player with UPSIDE asap

My guess would be Quinn Ewers, but it's too early to speculate. I don't disagree that we need to get someone now, I'm just thinking backup options in case six QBs go in the Top-10 and we aren't able to trade up for one of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Really impressed. Creating out of structure and using his legs. If this is our bridge, this is 10x the garbage jimmy put on the field. I anticipate he starts over AOC as well if we don't draft a QB early.

That’s how I see it as an upgrade from jimmy/hoyer/aoc and for a fraction of the price. Reminds me of a poor man cousins still relatively young at 27. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That’s how I see it as an upgrade from jimmy/hoyer/aoc and for a fraction of the price. Reminds me of a poor man cousins still relatively young at 27. 

Agreed. You went from having the 30th best starter to the 27th