Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

2 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Obviously I've been in favor of this move, not a steal deal but the market is what it is. And yes, I believe he's a better option than AOC, and it doesn't mean we can't go after a qb in the draft, it does however make it easier to not overpay in either trade up scenario (beginning or end of rnd 1) we had to move quick I'll bet cuz I'll bet we weren't the only team calling his agent.

Yea I wanted him last year interesting move rn tho

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Like most things on offense this offseason, this is underwhelming. I hope they have a plan A and B at QB, because this feels like the exact bandaid they said they didn't want. 

I knew that was gonna be some version of this but I didn't think we would get one of his caliber for this price. I thought because he started last year when Anthony Richardson went out that he played himself out of the back up quarterback money

Edited by Jeremy408

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea I wanted him last year interesting move rn tho

Yep, we were 2 of the several guys that mentioned him. To me, it's a solid signing and gives us a little breathing room. No need to panic now, simple as that. I mean, what qbs are really out there? And this imo, absolutely means nothing in terms of drafting a qb if the right one comes up in the right draft slot. It does probably mean we won't be part of a bidding war.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Like most things on offense this offseason, this is underwhelming. I hope they have a plan A and B at QB, because this feels like the exact bandaid they said they didn't want. 

I am just curious BP,  not being a jerk. You got solid ideas most of the time. What's your plan A and B? Hypothetically speaking. And I do agree, definitely doesn't jibe with the band aid comment (however, we don't know if AP considers him a band aid or not.)

I don’t think this stops us at all from trading up for a qb if there is one we covet. It’s just making sure there is a veteran mentor in the QB room that can start if need be. I wouldn’t trust AOC mentoring a rookie at all. If anything it makes me think they’re targeting JJ. 

• Like 5

Minshew is a good backup and a serviceable spot starter if needed but this shouldn't have any impact or influence on our draft strategy. He has been around Jalen Hurts and Anthony Richardson over the last three years so that'll help a young QB if we draft one. But man if we go into the year with him and AOC battling it out I will be so disappointed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I knew that was gonna be some version of this but I didn't think we would get one of his caliber for this price. I thought because he started last year when Anthony Richardson went out that he played himself out of the back up quarterback money

He wasn't very good last year, lol. Colts offense was super limited because they had him under center

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He wasn't very good last year, lol. Colts offense was super limited because they had him under center

Yea but like usually QBs that start like 10 or more games or more and like aren't horrible usually get overpaid like a low end starter just because they're QBs 

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Yea but like usually QBs that start like 10 or more games or more and like aren't horrible usually get overpaid like a low end starter just because they're QBs 

Like who? The only meh QB's that are set to make $10M+ next year are Minshew and Daniel Jones.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I’m still of the opinion that their ideal plan a (trading into top 3) is really difficult to exact and after the combine, they’re beginning to realise that fact. Just can’t see any of those teams turning down a potential franchise QB

I also think that plan b (McCarthy) is just as difficult as now it’s Minn’s only option and I’d put a big wager on them trading up with Harbaugh at 5 to get him. Can’t see us trading the farm to get to 4 to beat them if that happens.

With ATL out at 8, it would then leave Den as the next and probably only remaining team - and as desperate as Minn for a QB - ahead of us. Nix seems like a Payton kind of QB, so I’m still of the opinion that if we want him, we’ll have to trade ahead of them to get him. Unless they go full tank - but who for, with no stand out QB next year??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I’m still of the opinion that their ideal plan a (trading into top 3) is really difficult to exact and after the combine, they’re beginning to realise that fact. Just can’t see any of those teams turning down a potential franchise QB

I also think that plan b (McCarthy) is just as difficult as now it’s Minn’s only option and I’d put a big wager on them trading up with Harbaugh at 5 to get him. Can’t see us trading the farm to get to 4 to beat them if that happens.

You're always going to have to pay a premium to move up for a franchise level QB prospect. 

How is it Minny's only option when they just signed Darnold? They're in the exact same spot as us.

You really think they gave up on acquiring a QB early in the draft? If that's the case we should've traded for Fields who at least has some long term potential over a career backup that is super limited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

AP's master plan was Getsy/Minshew while letting Jacobs/Elu walk

5 hours ago, FloydFan said:

I don’t think this stops us at all from trading up for a qb if there is one we covet. It’s just making sure there is a veteran mentor in the QB room that can start if need be. I wouldn’t trust AOC mentoring a rookie at all. If anything it makes me think they’re targeting JJ. 

This is what I thought. If you’re thinking of trying to draft McCarthy you need a backup plan as it’s likely he won’t be a plug and play starter. We have AOC who may improve but to go into the season with O’Connell and McCarthy who may need a red shirt year as the only options would be cavalier to say the least. 

Now, we have a vet who can hold the fort, a guy in AOC who can play in a pinch and could develop too and if we drafted McCarthy he wouldn't be thrust straight in. This is a risk management signing and quite smart I think. It’s not sexy or inspiring but to me at least, it seems sensible.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 3