Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

QB GARDNER MINSHEW SIGNS WITH LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

2023 PFF Grade: 62.0 (31st/38)

2023 PFF WAR: 0.66 (28th)

Fit/need grade: B+

Value grade: B

Contract: Two years, $25 million ($12.5 million per year), $15 million fully guaranteed at signing

PFF projected contract: Two years, $17.5 million ($8.75 million per year), $9 million total guaranteed

The Raiders get a respectable bridge starter in the fold but need to actually add the other end of the bridge, with the No. 13 pick currently burning a hole in their pocket. They’ll be battling the No. 11 overall pick Minnesota Vikings and No. 12 overall pick Denver Broncos to move up for a quarterback, it appears. Nonetheless, Minshew salvaged the Colts' season and earned this contract despite his capped ceiling. 

• Like 1

This is underwhelming.  Seems like we're doubling down on the same thing we already have in AOC.  I'm sure we'll draft a guy, but why do we need double backups? Or, why do we need competition at the starting position with 2 bandaid QB's when they said we don't want a bandaid QB? ....well now we have 2. Seems weird. We can't cut him during camp, makes too much. 

• Like 3

IMO this confirms we don't trade up. Could still get QB at 13 or the 2nd and sit behind Minshew a year. If he does down/is injured then AOC has some experience

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

This is underwhelming.  Seems like we're doubling down on the same thing we already have in AOC.  I'm sure we'll draft a guy, but why do we need double backups? Or, why do we need competition at the starting position with 2 bandaid QB's when they said we don't want a bandaid QB? ....well now we have 2. Seems weird. We can't cut him during camp, makes too much. 

This.

It's such an odd signing because now you can't go out and get an actual starter on either the 1st or even with Fields. 

We're now paying a QB to essentially be a small upgrade over AOC? I guess the way I see it is splash big or get a backup at cheap.

Very odd for that doesn't solve anything imo. Great guy though lol

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'll hate this more if we draft a QB early

Yup, why carry3 QB's? it's silly. Also, why cut AOC after doing so well (for a 4th round rookie). Both options are underwhelming

• Like 1

IMO this is a signing that you do incase you cant trade up for a QB. Dont want to be left empty handed. Minshew can use his legs so he does offer something that AOC can offer. Best case he's a highly paid back up QB because they were able to trade up. Worse case hes your starter. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We don't. 

But I don't think AOC ultimately fits Getsy's system and is only around until we trade him or his rookie deal expires as he's QB3. 

Minshew fits Getsy a bit more and is more similar to the type of QB we plan on drafting (by all accounts) than AOC's granite statue self is. 

Minshew will bridge and be the backup when our QBOTF takes over, AOC will be an emergency QB and trade bait. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Like this. Much prefer him over O’Connell. At least have an option now if we can’t trade up for a franchise QB

Same here Minshew can actually move in the pocket. The only guy this really hurts is probably Tre Tucker. 

• Like 1