Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

IMO this is a signing that you do incase you cant trade up for a QB. Minshew can use his legs so he does offer something that AOC can offer. Best case he's a highly paid back up QB because they were able to trade up. Worse case hes your starter. 

This is exactly what I'm seeing as well.  May be our starter if we can't make a move, but doesn't leave us in a position that we HAVE to make a move to the detriment of our team.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Yup, why carry3 QB's? it's silly. Also, why cut AOC after doing so well (for a 4th round rookie). Both options are underwhelming

Exactly where my head is at as well. If this move allows us to go BPA, great. No more reaching for needs. Minshew won't take us all the way though. Not sure why anyone would think differently

I'm ok with this. Always liked Minshew as a player - he's obviously limited which is why he's not a true starter in the league, but he does a lot of things well. He's 100% an upgrade on AOC, and this signing is an insurance policy in case we can't get to where we need to be in the draft/the right QB doesn't fall to us.

it doesn't rule out taking a QB. In particular I think if McCarthy is in range at any point then we have to try and make that move, and then you can sit him behind Minshew for a couple of years to develop.

But absolute worst case we've got an upgrade at the QB position who will keep us competitive, and can then try again next year to swing a big name.

Obviously I've been in favor of this move, not a steal deal but the market is what it is. And yes, I believe he's a better option than AOC, and it doesn't mean we can't go after a qb in the draft, it does however make it easier to not overpay in either trade up scenario (beginning or end of rnd 1) we had to move quick I'll bet cuz I'll bet we weren't the only team calling his agent.

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don’t know, that’s too high for an RT

Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be excited for it However, I feel like this regime really meant what they said about building an identity in the trenches.  

• Like 1

Yet another in a long line of uninspiring decisions at QB. He’s about #26-29 in the NFL as a starting QB and is barely better than a 2nd year AOC with a full offseason. Hate it and would much rather have signed Brissett for $6-8/year if this is the direction we decided to go 

Edited by jpaulthe1st

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Yup, why carry3 QB's? it's silly. Also, why cut AOC after doing so well (for a 4th round rookie). Both options are underwhelming

We carried 3 QB's last year so why not. You want to fix the problem you throw alot at it and see who rises to the top.

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Yet another in a long line of uninspiring decisions at QB. He’s about #26-29 in the NFL as a starting QB and is barely better than a 2nd year AOC with a full offseason. Hate it and would much rather have signed Brissett for $6-8/year if this is the direction we decided to go 

I get the signing but seems like an overpay. Who else is trying to sign a 25-29 QB. Gardner the same tier as Brissett as you said.