Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

23 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

This shouldn't (and probably won't) keep the FO from trying to get their guy at QB in the Draft, but part of me is wondering if the backup plan is to build up the rest of the team now and sell out to get a QB in 2025.

Yeah but sell out to get who. Pushing qb a year seems like a recipe for disaster. Even Nix or Penix in the 2nd round are well worth the gamble. We need to add a young player with UPSIDE asap

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah but sell out to get who. Pushing qb a year seems like a recipe for disaster. Even Nix or Penix in the 2nd round are well worth the gamble. We need to add a young player with UPSIDE asap

At least 1 of Penix or Nix is going early I’d think. I’d say Denver is fairly certain to take a QB at 12. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, reddevil said:

At least 1 of Penix or Nix is going early I’d think. I’d say Denver is fairly certain to take a QB at 12. 

That's what I was trying to say. I believe that the top 6 QBs are all going in the first round.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem like the Giants will be going after a QB in the draft. They're stuck with Jones and just signed Lock to be his backup.

Commanders, Patriots, Vikings, Broncos, and Raiders still need a QB that isn't a stopgap. Fields will go to a team as the starter if the Bears take Caleb on draft day. That means 1 or 2 of the top 6 rookie QBs (Nix and/or Penix) will fall out of the 1st round in my opinion. 

It's pretty clear the top 3 QBs are going the first three picks. The Vikings probably want McCarthy. That leaves us and the Broncos for the final two guys (Nix and Penix).

2 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

Commanders, Patriots, Vikings, Broncos, and Raiders still need a QB that isn't a stopgap. Fields will go to a team as the starter if the Bears take Caleb on draft day. That means 1 or 2 of the top 6 rookie QBs (Nix and/or Penix) will fall out of the 1st round in my opinion. 

It's pretty clear the top 3 QBs are going the first three picks. The Vikings probably want McCarthy. That leaves us and the Broncos for the final two guys (Nix and Penix).

How do you figure the bolded part? And you contradicted yourself with the 2nd paragraph.

The Seahawks have a new coaching staff and may not be sold on Geno. So, there may be a trade up from them. It is highly likely that the top 6 could get drafted before #13 and the Raiders get stuck with Fields.

All this talking about QB or bust. What are people comfortable trading up for a QB then? Are you willing to give up multiple years of 1s/2s/3s to get Daniels? Are you still giving up big assets to leapfrog Denver or Minny for Nix or JJ?

The Raiders will likely be bidding against multiple, multiple teams for the services of a "high upside QB".

9 hours ago, NickButera said:

Plan C. No one's there at the end of the first, we roll into 2024 with scrubs at QB and a downgraded offense compared to last year and don't put up 17 points a game.

I see this as a possibility. 

There were more than a few teams that got stuck in this exact position this year, and I think QBs will fly off the board because of it. 

Why would it be a downgrade? We’ve got O’Connell with another year in the system so he’ll be improved and Minshew, although not a franchise QB he is much better than Garoppolo and last years version of O’Connell. White has shown that he can be a lead back and take over from Jacobs who was ineffective last year, Mayer should be a genuine top TE and the receivers will be very similar to last year. 

OLine may return 4 of 5 starters and should be very similar or even improved if Munford improves or Wagner can start. There’s no reason not to think our offence will actually be quite improved imho.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

All this talking about QB or bust. What are people comfortable trading up for a QB then? Are you willing to give up multiple years of 1s/2s/3s to get Daniels? Are you still giving up big assets to leapfrog Denver or Minny for Nix or JJ?

The Raiders will likely be bidding against multiple, multiple teams for the services of a "high upside QB".

Yes I absolutely am. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A young player with upside for a 4th would be my preference. Fields!

Not sure how Minshew is a bad thing or how it changes how we enter the draft. Some of y’all like McCarthy and say he needs to sit a year, how does this hurt? lol 

we’re in a tough spot with many QB needy teams in front of us in the draft. There’s no guarantee we can make a deal to secure a top 4 guy, Minshew is a bridge to our next QB nothing more nothing less. For the money we saved from cutting Jimmy. 

• Like 2

I’m getting ready for Penix or Nix tbh. I think the Chargers screw us and make a deal to move back a bit acquire picks to build the team in Harbaughs image a bit. If not I can see us going QB4 after making a deal with the Giants. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You're going to be bidding against other teams every year for top QB's in the draft. No way that the new regime can justify going into the season with AOC/Minshew as the two main guys at QB.