Bengals HC Marvin Lewis to leave Bengals

LinderFournette

9 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

thanks for keeping this clown over zimmer

They weren't in position to promote Zimmer/Gruden; both left in 2014 which was Lewis' contract year.

With that said, he should have been let go after last season and promote Guenther.

4 minutes ago, everlong said:

They weren't in position to promote Zimmer/Gruden; both left in 2014 which was Lewis' contract year.

why couldn't they just have canned him after the 2013 season? i thought coaches could be fired whenever

Marvin Lewis has the third highest win percentage in Bengals history, with far more games coached than anybody, and he coached his team to the playoffs more than any other Bengals coach. Has had a .500 or better record 2/3rd's of his tenure. Has the most wins in franchise history by a giant margin. 4 of the last 6 years had double digit winning seasons. 

I don't know that its's really his fault that over his tenure he coached in a division where the Steelers went to 3 and won 2 Super Bowls and the Ravens went to one and had been in at least 2 AFCCG's. 

He gets a bad rep.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Marvin Lewis has the third highest win percentage in Bengals history, with far more games coached than anybody, and he coached his team to the playoffs more than any other Bengals coach. Has had a .500 or better record 2/3rd's of his tenure. Has the most wins in franchise history by a giant margin. 4 of the last 6 years had double digit winning seasons. 

I don't know that its's really his fault that over his tenure he coached in a division where the Steelers went to 3 and won 2 Super Bowls and the Ravens went to one and had been in at least 2 AFCCG's. 

He gets a bad rep.

Marv's a good coach, but 0-7 in the playoffs, one of those losses being the inexcusable one in 2015, just isn't enough.

18 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

why couldn't they just have canned him after the 2013 season? i thought coaches could be fired whenever

Maybe because he went 11-5 in 2013, won the division, his team improved every year for the past 3-4 years, and he was in the 2nd season of a 4 season run of double digit wins. For the most part Lewis' flaw was his inability to win playoff games, but a big part of that was that he ran into the Steelers during a Super Bowl year, ran into a hot Jets team that had the best defense in football, ran into a hot Texans team twice in the early 2000's, and ran into the Colts during Luck's best year. His big failures were the loss to the Chargers and the implosion in 2015 when he SHOULD have beaten the Steelers. Aside from those two, I wouldn't really give him too much flack for the rest of his playoff issues, it was a lot of wrong place, wrong time, against the wrong person.

Archived