Vikings sign Sam Darnold

Now we just need to sign Arik Armstead and Aaron Jones. I’d grade this offseason an A so far and think it’s the best one by Kwesi so far. I can’t wait to see what they do in the draft. I have a feeling that JJ McCarthy or Drake Maye will be our guy. I’d be happy with either one.

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 3

We’ll probably hear a lot of angst about this signing, especially from the casual fan. The truth is that I’m not a huge fan of the signing, but it was a necessity and further signaling towards the intent of the Vikes this offseason: Turn the page on the past and move forward into the future with a QB found through the draft.

Darnold started off his tenure in Carolina in 2021 and actually surprisingly good, though nothing special before falling back to the mean for his career. What needs to be remembered here is that he was on pretty terrible Jets squads and maybe equally terrible Panther’s squads. His first time on a good team with good coaching was last year with the 49ers, and he was able to sit on the bench and learn from Shanahan.

Coming to the Vikings, the expectations will be low, as they should be, but he is an experienced QB being placed into an enviable offense with legitimate coaching. The floor is known and expected to be low, so anything better than that is a success. The term competitive rebuild will still potentially be thrown around, but make no mistake, 2024 is meant to be a reset year for this team, bridging to a more hopeful future.

• Like 1

I think this is a solid pickup. A little expensive on the price, but my guess is there was a market for Darnold from teams such as Denver, so we had to pay a little extra. 

Darnold realistically will be our QB2 to whoever we draft, but he'll be some nice competition and a decent enough starter in case the rookie isn't ready. 

Can't wait for the draft to see will be our QB of the future!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Not a fan but it’s just a one year deal so can’t complain too much. QB has to be the priority in the draft now. Trade up if you have to at this point. 

We might stay put and still have J.J. McCarthy or even Drake Maye fall to us at 11. With Kirk signing with the Falcons, he actually helped our chances of getting one of the top 4 QBs in the draft. Drake Maye could be this year’s Will Levis and start falling in the draft. In a perfect world we don’t have to trade up and give up assets to get our next franchise QB. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 3

I preferred Jamis of the remaining options. But what yuh going to do. Are we going to release Mullins now?

Wonder what the details are. Is it $10M guaranteed, or are there playing incentives within that $10M

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

Isn't he only 26? It's definitely possible that he will show some improvement after being coached by Shanahan for a year and more being under KOC with this offense. 

Ideally he's able to hold the starting job down all year but if the rookie shows enough to beat him out, that would be fine too.  The worst thing would be to start the rookie right away whether he ready or not imo

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Isn't he only 26? It's definitely possible that he will show some improvement after being coached by Shanahan for a year and more being under KOC with this offense. 

Ideally he's able to hold the starting job down all year but if the rookie shows enough to beat him out, that would be fine too.  The worst thing would be to start the rookie right away whether he ready or not imo

Ideally Darnold doesn’t take a starting snap and is completely beat out in training camp by the potential rookie QB