Vikings sign Sam Darnold

On 3/12/2024 at 5:32 AM, Captain Relax said:

Not the QB I would have picked for the bridge role, but it's understandable, at least.  In Sam we trust!!

Now, to running backs that would help Darnold and the offense to be better.

IMO, if Sammy is gonna succeed, it’s going to be with an awesome supporting cast, including the best WR in the NFL and a QB guru in KOC. I’m excited to se what he can do in this offense. I also believe we will draft a QBOTF in this draft…whatever that takes. Exciting times ahead. I’m rejuvenated! 

How good is Sam Darnold? NFL analyst Mark Schlereth believes the 2018 third overall pick has a chance to redeem himself now that he's not surrounded by mediocrity. What makes Schlereth's views on Darnold meaningful? For starters, he seems to have inside information based on his conversations with Darnold and 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, noting that Darnold wanted to sign with the 49ers to get some "football rehab" after spending the first five years of his careers with the Jets and Panthers, where opportunity for success may have been muted by ineptitude. 

A bit of backstory concerning the "football rehab" Darnold needed.... Darnold had Jeremy Bates' and a dink-and-dunk offense as a rookie with the Jets in 2018. Then in 2019 Adam Gase took over as head coach and tried to implement the offense that Peyton Manning ran with the Broncos while Gase was Denver's offensive coordinator in 2013 and 2014.  

Schlereth: "There's one person in the world that can run the Peyton Manning offense and it's Peyton Manning. He's the only one, so you take a rookie with the Jets and try to put him into that situation. And then he went to Carolina, and you're running a collegiate type of offense in Carolina. He said the first time ever he was exposed to a legitimate progression offense was the last eight games or so when Steve Wilks took over and Ben McAdoo became the offensive coordinator."

"Darnold went to San Francisco simply to say, 'Hey, man, I need some football rehab and I need to learn the NFL game as opposed to the college game.' I just see the maturity there. I see a guy who's unbelievably skilled with arm talent, athleticism, all those things. I see a guy that has a chance to rectify where he was drafted and it didn't work out in the first couple of stops."

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/mark-schlereth-is-a-sam-darnold-believer-unbelievably-skilled-with-arm-talent-athleticism?fbclid=IwAR0b6R-EERA0ra6CMnGmIbdMDUPh97Jalac5JCE49pFb3KTA_T_s5ezDUG8

• Like 1

If you’re a QB and can’t make it throwing too Jefferson, Addison and Hockenson with a solid OL, you obviously shouldn’t be starting. Even Nick Mullens had some good moments throwing to this group, to go with idiot mistakes. As long as Darnold doesn’t make those same idiots mistakes and can trust his receivers, I think he will be ok. Not sure that will be good enough to make it to the playoffs, but maybe gives them adequate time to groom a QB for half a season or something.

Now if this front office decides to moronically trade Jefferson, I’ve lost all hope that we actually have a FO that is any good.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

How good is Sam Darnold? NFL analyst Mark Schlereth believes the 2018 third overall pick has a chance to redeem himself now that he's not surrounded by mediocrity. What makes Schlereth's views on Darnold meaningful? For starters, he seems to have inside information based on his conversations with Darnold and 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, noting that Darnold wanted to sign with the 49ers to get some "football rehab" after spending the first five years of his careers with the Jets and Panthers, where opportunity for success may have been muted by ineptitude. 

A bit of backstory concerning the "football rehab" Darnold needed.... Darnold had Jeremy Bates' and a dink-and-dunk offense as a rookie with the Jets in 2018. Then in 2019 Adam Gase took over as head coach and tried to implement the offense that Peyton Manning ran with the Broncos while Gase was Denver's offensive coordinator in 2013 and 2014.  

Schlereth: "There's one person in the world that can run the Peyton Manning offense and it's Peyton Manning. He's the only one, so you take a rookie with the Jets and try to put him into that situation. And then he went to Carolina, and you're running a collegiate type of offense in Carolina. He said the first time ever he was exposed to a legitimate progression offense was the last eight games or so when Steve Wilks took over and Ben McAdoo became the offensive coordinator."

"Darnold went to San Francisco simply to say, 'Hey, man, I need some football rehab and I need to learn the NFL game as opposed to the college game.' I just see the maturity there. I see a guy who's unbelievably skilled with arm talent, athleticism, all those things. I see a guy that has a chance to rectify where he was drafted and it didn't work out in the first couple of stops."

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/mark-schlereth-is-a-sam-darnold-believer-unbelievably-skilled-with-arm-talent-athleticism?fbclid=IwAR0b6R-EERA0ra6CMnGmIbdMDUPh97Jalac5JCE49pFb3KTA_T_s5ezDUG8

Honestly not a bad plan.  Take a year to regroup and improve with a really good coach and then go to a team with a good offensive coach and really good offensive players.  If he is able to put up a decent season, he could still get a good payday.  The only downside is for him is that they'll be going all in on a rookie QB.

I'm not saying that it's likely that he'll have a good season but this is as good of a place as any to rebuild his image.  Look at what KOC helped get Kirk payed. 

• Like 1

What is Darnold's ceiling with the Vikings? What were people high on when he was coming out of college?  If he's completed his "football rehab," can he keep a rookie QBOTF on the bench in 2024?  What would success be with a Darnold led offense?

While I don't expect it, I don't think it's unforeseeable that his ceiling is Baker Mayfield with the Bucs this last season. A big part of him even reaching that ceiling is how long he plays and developing chemistry and rhythm with the rest of the offense. More realistically, he's a reliable backup for the rookie that starts the whole season. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

What is Darnold's ceiling with the Vikings? What were people high on when he was coming out of college?  If he's completed his "football rehab," can he keep a rookie QBOTF on the bench in 2024?  What would success be with a Darnold led offense?

He has great arm talent and good mobility. If he hadn't begun his career with disfunctional organizations, his career trajectory could have looked a lot different. He should be decent, at least, but he might thrive here after being "rehabbed" by SF and MN. His situation in MN is nearly ideal if he can absorb and implement KOC's offense (not an easy challenge).

He needs to play well enough to keep our rookie off the field in '24.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Ceiling? Maybe Geno Smith. While that would be good, it is hardly cause for optimism. 

18 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

While I don't expect it, I don't think it's unforeseeable that his ceiling is Baker Mayfield with the Bucs this last season. A big part of him even reaching that ceiling is how long he plays and developing chemistry and rhythm with the rest of the offense. More realistically, he's a reliable backup for the rookie that starts the whole season. 

Baker was at least good for the one year in Cleveland, Darnold has nothing good on his resume.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don't really know what to expect, but I think he'll be better than what they used last year after Kirk was hurt. I'm ok with the signing as a placeholder. 

Maybe, maybe not. Mullens could still throw for 300+ yards and multiple TDs. We’re still a team that is going to have to win on offense. The defense hasn’t really made improvements to expect anything better than last year. 

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

don't encourage him to share his nightmares with us.

You always have our best interest at heart, don't you? lol

If Darnold plays well, he could sign elsewhere and we could get us a comp pick for him in 2026. That's ideal.

• Like 1