Vikings sign Sam Darnold

17 hours ago, GermanVike said:

I think even then, or even if we are 2-4 and are competitive, he stays in.

If Darnold implodes, however, the fanbase will start calling for McCarthy. I hope KOC will resist these calls and give McCarthy enough time.

So do I. I'm worried we will rush him in though. A lot of the fantasy experts predict he will be in sooner than later. I know it's fantasy but they do their homework and keep up with trends/ analytics so it does scare me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vikes635 said:

So do I. I'm worried we will rush him in though. A lot of the fantasy experts predict he will be in sooner than later. I know it's fantasy but they do their homework and keep up with trends/ analytics so it does scare me.

I really, really hope that the coaching staff blocks out all the stuff from outside the building and let McCarthy sit as long as possible. 

• Like 1

In all the clips that have been released so far, it looks like Darnold has cleaned up his throwing motion. If he takes to the coaching and figures out the offense, we might get a season like the one we should have had last year.

• Like 1

It would be a classic Minnesota sports thing to happen for Darnold to have a Keenum-like season, and lead the team to the playoffs. Leading to fan infighting as to whether the team should re-sign Darnold, or move forward with McCarthy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It would be a classic Minnesota sports thing to happen for Darnold to have a Keenum-like season, and lead the team to the playoffs. Leading to fan infighting as to whether the team should re-sign Darnold, or move forward with McCarthy. 

Maybe but honestly not sure anyone would be infighting, it would be fabulous to let McCarthy sit this entire season and just learn without the pressure of playing and performing.  And I sure hope Darnold plays well enough to start the entire season, if not why pay him $10 million for this year then?  They have two starters scheduled to get over $10 million next year in total salary not including Darnold.  So that would be 20 starters are all under that or well under that $10 mil mark, and even Darnold only gets that because he had a $6,250,000 signing bonus and a $250,000 workout bonus.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If he plays well enough to warrant that conversation, I don't think anyone would truly be upset.

48 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If he plays well enough to warrant that conversation, I don't think anyone would truly be upset.

I mean, we forget the follow up where next season whoever the Vikings settle on has a bad season lol.

Darnold:  "It felt like we were best friends (Darnold and McCown on the Jets together) – the youngest kid on the team with the oldest guy on the team being best friends. It's good to be back and just to continue to hear so much wisdom he can share with not only me but the other quarterbacks in the room, as well. Great people in the QB room right now. Really smart guys to be able to bounce ideas off of, and it's gonna be fun once we start getting in the weeds of defenses – especially ours. You know, being able to dissect what they're doing and how J.J., Nick and Jaren see it."

"When I came in my rookie year, not having a ton of experience, and Josh being around the league with a ton of offenses and different players, and playing a little bit the last few years of his career. He had a ton of experience and wisdom to share with me … and I think that's where we got so close."

"I enjoy the process of learning a new offense. Obviously a lot of hard work has to go into it. I'm learning a ton. Just continuing to grind every single day and continue to get better at the little details. And you know, once I feel like I have something down, don't ever be satisfied with that because it can come up in a big moment during the season."

"Going to a new team, you're not really sure exactly what the vibe is gonna be like, but these guys have been awesome, and they've welcomed me with open arms. I know a lot of the new guys feel the same exact way. It's been great to be here, has been great to get on the turf and the grass and be able to throw the football around."

https://www.vikings.com/news/sam-darnold-josh-mccown-ota-2024-learning-system

• Like 1

The Athletic’s Alec Lewis tweeted Wednesday about Darnold’s performance at organized team activities (OTAs), with the regular season 99 days away:

“One day of practice, so no reason at all to make more of it than need be, but thought Sam Darnold looked very good today. Just unafraid throwing over the middle, accurate, some nice juice on it. Lot of solid connections with Jordan Addison.”

O’Connell: “Just from a standpoint of his ability to absorb our offense, go out and execute with a lot of guys, when Sam steps into the huddle, he’s stepping in with guys that have been in this system for two years. And we’re not really slowing down from a standpoint of how we want to kind of install our offense.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/one-viking-showered-with-predictable-praise-at-otas?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

If Sam Darnold were an unfamiliar quantity I could see him starting the season.

As things are, I don't see an advantage in going with known failure over possible success.  J.J. McCarthy is facing enough pressure as a rookie from a run-first college offense going to a passing one in the pros.  Taking the place of Kirk Cousins having an excellent year.  Why make it worse by having him take the field in late September, after the opposing defenses have had time to gel and the Vikes are down 2 or 3 games under Darnold?

10 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If Sam Darnold were an unfamiliar quantity I could see him starting the season.

As things are, I don't see an advantage in going with known failure over possible success.  J.J. McCarthy is facing enough pressure as a rookie from a run-first college offense going to a passing one in the pros.  Taking the place of Kirk Cousins having an excellent year.  Why make it worse by having him take the field in late September, after the opposing defenses have had time to gel and the Vikes are down 2 or 3 games under Darnold?

Because bad habits are formed by lack of preparation. Promising quarterbacks are ruined by throwing them into the fire. Last year, we saw what happens when you have to play QBs who aren't familiar enough or ready enough. This isn't about immediate success. This is about ensuring success ten years down the road. Does anyone really think Jordan Love would have played well if he started his first year? The Packers had a plan (well, as much as one can have a plan when Sharon Rodgers is involved), and they stuck to it, for the most part. They were able to let the mental traits catch up to the physical ones, and I think Love is a lot better for it. 

Even Brock Purdy didn't start until very late in his rookie season, and he wasn't supposed to play at all. I think the results would have been different if he had to start right away. 

Some guys come in and have immediate success, but I think most of the NFL probably agrees that a QB benefits by learning and watching. The Vikings are in a position to bring him along slowly and have owners who are willing to let that happen. Why not take advantage of that?

Long story short, the Vikings drafted McCarthy with a plan in mind. They're going to stick to that plan because the investment warrants it. Is Darnold bad? Perhaps. But he has never had the supporting cast that he has here. The Jets are where highly drafted QBs go to die. There's no pressure on the Vikings this year. They aren't expected to be legitimate contenders. Let McCarthy redshirt, see what it means to be a pro, and continue to build the team so that when he takes over next season, all the pieces are in place for success. 

• Like 4