Texans trade 23rd pick to Vikings for 42nd, 188th, and 2025 2nd

minutemancl

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not really sure why LAC has become such a hot discussion topic vis a vis the trade up for QB4 chatter. 

How is that going to work, in practice? You obviously can’t do it before the draft, because you’ll leave a pick between you and the top 3 for the other teams to target and jump you. 

So our concept is that we love this QB enough to trade a massive pile of assets to get him, and we know that potentially 3-4 other teams are also in the mix, bidding against us — but we’re going to sweat out the Arizona pick and hope they stay put, to try to save a bit of additional draft capital?

I don’t think that’s realistic. I think Arizona is the only target. Someone will make it worth their while. And if you want to land your QB4, it’ll have to be you. 

I agree that Arizona is really the only target if you want to ensure that you get QB4. The only caveat I can see is if Arizona is determined to pick MHJ and don’t want to lose him to the Chargers with the next pick.

• Like 2

I think if you' re trying to trade up for a QB, you will talk to WAS and NE and if you can't sell them on "bunch of picks for a top 3 QB"  you talk to Arizona, and if Arizona can't be moved off of their WR1, then SD is the likely trade up spot.

But like it's possible Minnesota just goes up to 2.

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you' re trying to trade up for a QB, you will talk to WAS and NE and if you can't sell them on "bunch of picks for a top 3 QB"  you talk to Arizona, and if Arizona can't be moved off of their WR1, then SD is the likely trade up spot.

But like it's possible Minnesota just goes up to 2.

Washington's pick is absolutely not in play, whatsoever.  They traded Howell.  They're taking a QB.

Picks 1 and 2 will be Caleb Williams and one of Daniels/Maye/McCarthy in some order.  Caleb is either a Bear or a Washington.  One of those other three QBs fills the other spot.

Pick #3 is where the draft really "starts".  At the NE Pick.  Where they could use a QB...but with an entirely new regime with massive turnover just starting the process of de-Billifying the Patriots...i think there's at least reason to think they'd consider deferring that QB pick at least a year, if someone comes up with a huge package to trade up for QB3.

Per that rumor above...i can absolutely see a team like the Vikings just throwing the entire vault at NE to go up and get Drake Maye if WAS go Daniels as is looking more and more likely.  Something like 3 1st round picks is a heck of a foundation for the "new" regime in New England to start putting their own stamp on the team.  And without committing to a QB year 1 while the whole organization is still in a bit of disarray.

If that happens...it basically turns into a game of chicken between Denver and Vegas, on who goes up and how far...to leapfrog the other for JJ McCarthy.

56 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

This rumor makes the most sense to me:

Yeah.  This seems like it's looking more and more plausible to me.

But i also can't help but laugh, imagining a conversation between Drake Maye and KOC.  Just a pair of southern Bros politely vibing.  Absolutely nothing of substance being said.  😆  Just like talking to a mirror both ways.

Edited by Tugboat

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Washington's pick is absolutely not in play, whatsoever.  They traded Howell.  They're taking a QB.

Picks 1 and 2 will be Caleb Williams and one of Daniels/Maye/McCarthy in some order.  Caleb is either a Bear or a Washington.  One of those other three QBs fills the other spot.

Pick #3 is where the draft really "starts".  At the NE Pick.  Where they could use a QB...but with an entirely new regime with massive turnover just starting the process of de-Billifying the Patriots...i think there's at least reason to think they'd consider deferring that QB pick at least a year, if someone comes up with a huge package to trade up for QB3.

Per that rumor above...i can absolutely see a team like the Vikings just throwing the entire vault at NE to go up and get Drake Maye if WAS go Daniels as is looking more and more likely.  Something like 3 1st round picks is a heck of a foundation for the "new" regime in New England to start putting their own stamp on the team.  And without committing to a QB year 1 while the whole organization is still in a bit of disarray.

If that happens...it basically turns into a game of chicken between Denver and Vegas, on who goes up and how far...to leapfrog the other for JJ McCarthy.

There's almost nothing linking us to Daniels beyond mock drafts. None of our insiders or anything from the team has linked them to Daniels. Most of the local beat guys seem to think Maye is the more plausible outcome. I have no clue how Daniels suddenly became the overwhelming favorite at two when almost nothing has changed since the end of the college season?

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think there's a price you could pay to Washington that would make them think about whether they're better off with Maye/Daniels or with McCarthy after trading back up and having a whole bunch of extra picks.  It's an enormous price, but it not happening is more because "teams don't want to trade 4 firsts or w/e for anybody"  more than Washington absolutely being laser focused on a QB.

LIke Washington signed a bunch of veteran FA talent, if you give them like 5 picks in rounds 1 and 2 they might be the best spot for a Penix.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

There's almost nothing linking us to Daniels beyond mock drafts. None of our insiders or anything from the team has linked them to Daniels. Most of the local beat guys seem to think Maye is the more plausible outcome. I have no clue how Daniels suddenly became the overwhelming favorite at two when almost nothing has changed since the end of the college season?

I'd take Maye too.  I thought that was the likely outcome as well.

But there's definitely been various steam behind Daniels being the guy over the last month+.  It's not altogether a secret what sort of QB Kliff likes.  Mariota is another subtle little tip.  And if you haven't seen the other smoke about Daniels > Maye in general being floated around lately...i'm not sure you've been paying attention.

Since around the combine, it's felt like the more "plugged in" draft media have switched gears from the expected Maye narrative and left him flat.  It's been all Caleb and Daniels.  Maybe they're just setting a narrative.  But given some of the people involved, it feels more genuine.

Again...not the pick i'd make.  But i'm not in charge of the Washingtons. 

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think there's a price you could pay to Washington that would make them think about whether they're better off with Maye/Daniels or with McCarthy after trading back up and having a whole bunch of extra picks.  It's an enormous price, but it not happening is more because "teams don't want to trade 4 firsts or w/e for anybody"  more than Washington absolutely being laser focused on a QB.

LIke Washington signed a bunch of veteran FA talent, if you give them like 5 picks in rounds 1 and 2 they might be the best spot for a Penix.

I don't think there's a price at all.  Unless they secretly like McCarthy more than either of those guys, you simply do not **** around with that kind of pick when you have it.  You take the guy you think is going to be your Franchise QB and you do not look back.  Even if you prefer McCarthy...honestly...you just pick him at 2.  If you're that convinced, you don't risk losing him.  Period.

You can bring up an absolutely absurd, "Even Gretzky got traded!" pricetag and say, "anything is possible".  But it's like...sure...What's the price for Patrick Mahomes?  8 Hundred Gazillion 1st round picks and eleventy Billion dollars?  But it's stupid to even talk about.  It's not happening.

Edited by Tugboat

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'd take Maye too.  I thought that was the likely outcome as well.

But there's definitely been various steam behind Daniels being the guy over the last month+.  It's not altogether a secret what sort of QB Kliff likes.  Mariota is another subtle little tip.  And if you haven't seen the other smoke about Daniels > Maye in general being floated around lately...i'm not sure you've been paying attention.

Since around the combine, it's felt like the more "plugged in" draft media have switched gears from the expected Maye narrative and left him flat.  It's been all Caleb and Daniels.  Maybe they're just setting a narrative.  But given some of the people involved, it feels more genuine.

Again...not the pick i'd make.  But i'm not in charge of the Washingtons. 

https://x.com/john_keim/status/1770106690148446558?s=20

This is our top insider. Keim called the Forbes and Dotson picks which was outrageous considering both were major reaches. He's as clued in as anyone is to this franchise. He has absolutely no clue who we're picking

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

https://x.com/john_keim/status/1770106690148446558?s=20

This is our top insider. Keim called the Forbes and Dotson picks which was outrageous considering both were major reaches. He's as clued in as anyone is to this franchise. He has absolutely no clue who we're picking

Of course, nobody knows.  Nobody inside is going to be leaking anything either.  Hopefully...

But the subtle tips are shifting.  Including some of the media from other teams starting to pivot.  The world doesn't entirely revolve around Washington media.

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Of course, nobody knows.  Nobody inside is going to be leaking anything either.  Hopefully...

But the subtle tips are shifting.  Including some of the media from other teams starting to pivot.  The world doesn't entirely revolve around Washington media.

The subtle tips are Mariota, even though we tried to sign Sam Darnold first. And we happen to employ Mariota's OC from last year. And Kliff Kingsbury who coached Baker Mayfield, Pat Mahomes and Caleb Williams who are all nothing like Jayden Daniels? 

"I think it's one of those things where it's not ideal, but at the same time it's part of a business," Maye said

Drake Maye on playing with Sam Howell and then Howell gets traded. Wouldn't this be a subtle tip as well? I think we all kinda see what we want to see. No offense and please don't take that as me being rude. The world may not entirely revolve around Washington media but there's nobody who gets it right more than Keim concerning this team. Any Washington fan can speak to that. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The subtle tips are Mariota, even though we tried to sign Sam Darnold first. And we happen to employ Mariota's OC from last year. And Kliff Kingsbury who coached Baker Mayfield, Pat Mahomes and Caleb Williams who are all nothing like Jayden Daniels? 

"I think it's one of those things where it's not ideal, but at the same time it's part of a business," Maye said

Drake Maye on playing with Sam Howell and then Howell gets traded. Wouldn't this be a subtle tip as well? I think we all kinda see what we want to see. No offense and please don't take that as me being rude. The world may not entirely revolve around Washington media but there's nobody who gets it right more than Keim concerning this team. Any Washington fan can speak to that. 

Like you said though...right now, Keim doesn't have a clue.  So obviously things are going to shift to sources outside of that.  Those sources are blowing in the other direction right now.

And further to the point...Keim may be a Washington legend...but this is an entirely new regime.  They cleaned house and installed a new bunch of people.  It's entirely plausible to me that Keim may have been completely frozen out in the process.  If his connections were purged?  He's hooped.  It'll take him a while to burrow back in to a whole fresh new set of people.

It's not an uncommon practice for a "New Regime" coming in to identify leaks and liabilities and eliminate them.  Especially if they're smart and savvy and want to control things on their own terms.

If anything...what you're describing about Keim sounds like a guy who was altogether burrowed in too deep for most regimes to be comfortable with, under the prior front office/ownership/whatever it was.

And no.  Trading Howell has diddly squat to do with which QB they're taking.  That's just standard practice if you're drafting a QB at pick #2.  Housekeeping if you will, to send the aspiring young other starting QB out for picks that can actually help you build around the new QB of the Future.  It's clearing the decks and making the situation abundantly clear.  They're taking a QB.  It means that much...but i think that was assumed anyway.  In terms of the weird Howell-Maye Tarheel link?  Shipping him out means about as much as the Bears shipping Fields out means that they might take a QB from Ohio State at #1.  Which is to say...completely irrelevant.

18 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Like you said though...right now, Keim doesn't have a clue.  So obviously things are going to shift to sources outside of that.  Those sources are blowing in the other direction right now.

And further to the point...Keim may be a Washington legend...but this is an entirely new regime.  They cleaned house and installed a new bunch of people.  It's entirely plausible to me that Keim may have been completely frozen out in the process.  If his connections were purged?  He's hooped.  It'll take him a while to burrow back in to a whole fresh new set of people.

It's not an uncommon practice for a "New Regime" coming in to identify leaks and liabilities and eliminate them.  Especially if they're smart and savvy and want to control things on their own terms.

If anything...what you're describing about Keim sounds like a guy who was altogether burrowed in too deep for most regimes to be comfortable with, under the prior front office/ownership/whatever it was.

And no.  Trading Howell has diddly squat to do with which QB they're taking.  That's just standard practice if you're drafting a QB at pick #2.  Housekeeping if you will, to send the aspiring young other starting QB out for picks that can actually help you build around the new QB of the Future.  It's clearing the decks and making the situation abundantly clear.  They're taking a QB.  It means that much...but i think that was assumed anyway.  In terms of the weird Howell-Maye Tarheel link?  Shipping him out means about as much as the Bears shipping Fields out means that they might take a QB from Ohio State at #1.  Which is to say...completely irrelevant.

I know, that's the point I'm trying to get across. None of these are actually tells of any kind. Nobody really has a clue what the team is doing?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I know, that's the point I'm trying to get across. None of these are actually tells of any kind. Nobody really has a clue what the team is doing?

So just like...put a freeze on guessing or trying to glean any little bits of information from any other sources outside the Washington (Keim) media?  Because he doesn't know, nobody knows anything at all ever.  Stop speculating, immediately!!!

The world marches on.  Most of it is probably fluff.  But if that's all there is to go on, that's what everyone is going to go on.  And right now, most of the little shreds of anything are pointing toward Daniels.