Pickett-ing his way to Philly.

10 hours ago, 43M said:

If this stuff with Kenny and Mason are true at all....where do they get the audacity and entitlement?    

Mason got his shots over the years and was almost not even on the team last year.    The Steelers are the only team who gave him a chance last year for minumum money.   Giving him that chance and allowing him to play at the end is essentially what saved his career.   Guy should be insanely grateful.   

Kenny has shown next to nothing outside of preseason and a few drives in the 4th quarter.   He has some historically bad metrics and has done nothing to be THE GUY.   Mason came in and outperformed him, and he didnt think it was "fair" for the Steelers to go with the guy with the hot hand when Kenny was showing no real improvements over the season?    

Like I said, its hard to say exactly whats true and what isnt, but if ANY of this is true....**** both of them.   

I usually root for players that leave here to have success or at least I am neutral.   I ACTIVELY would root for them to fail if this stuff is true.      Maybe they can go light it up in the UFL against other players that cant cut it in the NFL. 

The whole notion of "Fair" is such an immature way of thinking at a professional level of sports. Coaches and players are in the results business, not the 'fair' business. Guess what, if you aren't getting it done, they will find someone else who can.

Pickett is not the first nor will he be the last to lose his spot due to injury, but he certainly has not done enough to be this entitled about it. Ask Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green or Joe Montana how fair the NFL is. 

It's all about seizing your opportunity. Rudolph at least realized that he was on his 9 1/2 life in the NFL when he got in there last year and played like it.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, C$! said:

The whole notion of "Fair" is such an immature way of thinking at a professional level of sports. Coaches and players are in the results business, not the 'fair' business. Guess what, if you aren't getting it done, they will find someone else who can.

Pickett is not the first nor will he be the last to lose his spot due to injury, but he certainly has not done enough to be this entitled about it. Ask Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green or Joe Montana how fair the NFL is. 

It's all about seizing your opportunity. Rudolph at least realized that he was on his 9 1/2 life in the NFL when he got in there last year and played like it.  

Man, sociopathic wide receivers and weak ******* for QBs. That combo wasn’t successful? Go figure…

23 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Where there's smoke......

98 Hampton - proper NT player, unlike what we have in recent times. 

7 hours ago, AFF said:

Im just happy the FO moved on from their mistake…

this FO is the way it needs to be done. colbert would have kept KP as he did with so many others. Kahn and Weidl deserve a round of applause

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Oh, and as far as Russ and Fields....I certainly dont have huge faith in either guy, but they are both low cost options on prove it deals that offer far more potential than Pickett and Rudolph.   

I didn't initially either, but wilson has a chance. Combine a legit run game in smiths offence and the play action, I can see wilsons deep passing allowing GP to flourish.  Get the OL fixed, get run game and old QB might rejuvenate his career of all things.  Payton will look really bad in the process:D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, C$! said:

I don't think it was just a fair issue.  I have said for a few years that you have to set players up for success.  Sometimes we focus on short term gain without realizing the long term pain.  Kenny was put out there too soon.  I said when he was drafted that he should have sat and learned for a year. 

You put your first round QB in and you can't take him out.  Big Ben would have sat had Touchdown Tommy not gotten hurt. I know this is a different time and era from the early 2000's. However, Kenny was not ever an elite prospect.  They knew this when he was drafted. Once he got in there, he felt like it was his job. I am probably one of the most disapointed Kenny Pickett fans in his behavior and attitude. 

He somehow thought or felt that he was entitled tobe the starter.  All that was said about his maturity, level-headedness, team guy, intangibles....🥶 😖 

Pickett is not the first nor will he be the last to lose his spot due to injury, but he certainly has not done enough to be this entitled about it.

Facts! That is the most disapointing part for me. I was expecting him to say, "No problem coach, I am going to make you change your mind! I will prove to you and anyone who doubts my abilities why you drafted me in the first round." 🤷‍♂️

Ask Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green or Joe Montana how fair the NFL is. 

And there ar emany other examples as well. As Jerry Glanville once said, NFL (Not For Long). Unfortunate situation and I hate to see a young guy like this taint his Pittsburgh Legacy. He wasn't the first and probably won't be the last. 

It took Mason some time to get there. He had lost the confidence of the organization and fans as well after his Lions game in 2021. I have nothing but respect for Mason. He's a competitor.  It is hard to say that about Kenny who leaves the team that drafted him to be the starter to go to "his hometowwn team" to be the back-up.  Best of luck in Philly.  Hopefully, he learns from this. Unfortunately, we have seen this before with many players. 

14 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't think it was just a fair issue.  I have said for a few years that you have to set players up for success.  Sometimes we focus on short term gain without realizing the long term pain.  Kenny was put out there too soon.  I said when he was drafted that he should have sat and learned for a year. 

I agree with most of this, but we were never the right team for Kenny.   If we drafted him back in say....2017 or so, it may have worked out better, because he could have sat behind an established vet for a year or two and took over in 2019 behind a much better OL.

In 2022, we were a middling team with a bad OL and the only vet for him to really learn from was....a proven bust who had no real business starting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I agree with most of this, but we were never the right team for Kenny. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 vision. I think that the team did not set itself up well to transition from Big Ben. We have had various threads about that subject.  Many of us discussed having an improved OL. It started waining after Munchak left and Pouncey and company started getting older. 

If we drafted him back in say....2017 or so, it may have worked out better, because he could have sat behind an established vet for a year or two and took over in 2019 behind a much better OL.

If you remember, when they decided to drft him, I kept saying that they needed to resist the urge to play him and let him sit.  The problem was that the culture of the team started shifting. we also have discussed locker room leadership.  That was an issue as well.  Unfortunately, Big Ben was not a good mentor.  

In 2022, we were a middling team with a bad OL and the only vet for him to really learn from was....a proven bust who had no real business starting.

Agreed.  Hence the organization did not set him up for success.  However, as much as I have tried to support Kenny Pickett, he completely owns how he handled his exit. No excuses, nothing that he can say right now. He made a mistake in judgement that unfortunately will bite him. 

7 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 vision.

Not attacking you with this but I kinda have always disliked this kind of dismissal.  @43M has made comments like this since before the draft.  Not liking certain players is not 20/20 vision for everyone.  In my personal case It didn't really matter who we picked, I just didn't want it to be Kenny.  Heck I was for Malik Willis because he did fit more of what Tomlin talked about.  Movement, big arm, opportunistic.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not attacking you with this but I kinda have always disliked this kind of dismissal. 

Not taking this as an attack. But realistically, if we knew how some things would turn out beforehand we would never do it. I ama fan of Kenny's, but I am very disapointed in him.  

@43M has made comments like this since before the draft.  Not liking certain players is not 20/20 vision for everyone. 

Me saying this has nothing to do with like or dislike. It is just dealing with the result and wishing you made a different choice.  I like Kenny, but wish things would have gone differently. I say all the time that the draft is an art and not  science.  Because of that there are more Mitch Tribisky's than Patrick Mahomes'. 

In my personal case It didn't really matter who we picked, I just didn't want it to be Kenny. 

And as it turned out, you were correct. That was a like dislike. I understood the pick, but as discussed the Steelers were in a corner and didn't want to go into a new era without a potential franchise QB.  He was the best on paper of a mediocre bunch. 

Heck I was for Malik Willis because he did fit more of what Tomlin talked about.  Movement, big arm, opportunistic.  

That is my point to an extent. I wanted Jordan Davis, Trevor Penning, or Tyler Linderbaum in the first round. I have argued that many of these young QB propsects need to be allowed to sit. PERIOD.  The NFL is trying to mmicrowave success instead od letting it bake naturally so to speak. Fans expect Bryce Young type first year play and many think that Tom Brady's grow on trees.  Money is the driving force. In the short term yes, but sometimes had you waited, you may end up witha better player in the long run. 

Remember how everyone talked about Jadavion Clowney being a once in a lifetime prospect? He's been on something like five teams in his ten years.  I'm sure if the Texans could do it all over again (knowing what they know now) they would have taken the under-sized tweener from Pitt Aaron Donald with that first pick.  

Heck in two years Malik Willis may be doing a good Mason Rudolph imitation somewhere and Kenny may still be in Philly as a career back-up.  who knows. I think we all liked Willis, but knew he was no first rounder either and was extremely raw.  Pickett was picked because he was more "NFL ready year one."  I heard many draft pundits and former GM's say that. 

I have no problem with being wrong.  No one bats a .1000 evaluating talent.  We all love it when we are right. We get man crushes every year. Some work out and some don't. I think we try to learn from the mistakes. Sometimes you just can't avoid it. They can have all the tools and upside and still not make it. I thought Sequez Gholson was going to be the next Antoine Winfield.

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1770873997380681962?s=20

J.J. Watt to CBS Sports on Kenny Pickett getting shipped out of Pittsburgh: “I'm sure he is frustrated. I'm sure he feels like he never got the full proper opportunity to show his potential and develop, which is a thing that's happening in this league. We are not giving guys time to develop, grow and fight through adversity and come out the other side, because it's such a win-now world that we live in. So, I don't blame him at all for wanting an opportunity to compete somewhere or go somewhere and try something new. When you bring in a guy and say he's automatically the starter and you don't even get a chance, I get it. I completely understand his side. But at the same time, I don't blame the Steelers at all. When an opportunity presents itself like that, a minimum contract for a guy that's won a Super Bowl, you've got to take it.”