Pickett-ing his way to Philly.

Rumors suggest Pittsburgh is going to use the 3rd round pick they got from Philly to trade for Fields.

If that's true it'll be the first stupid thing I'll think Kahn has done as our GM.

It would essentially be Pickett, a 4th and a 3rd for Fields and 2 7ths.

Edited by VigilantZombie

41 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Kenny Pickett was not the problem. 

Everything else was but ehhhh we'll just sweep that under the rug and move on.

Russel Wilson+Rookie+Case Keenum I'm sold.

Kenny Pickett absolutely was A problem.

No one who actually watched him would think otherwise.

As I said before...I believe he can become an okay backup or even stop gap starter, but thats probably BEST CASE scenario.

13 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Rumors suggest Pittsburgh is going to use the 3rd round pick they got from Philly to trade for Fields.

If that's true it'll be the first stupid thing I'll think Kahn has done as our GM.

I’d be fairly happy with a 4th for Fields. I wouldn’t love the 3rd straight up for him. Maybe a 4th this year and another escalating 4th next year depending on contract and stats. I’d be pretty happy with a QB room of Russ on a one year deal with Fields waiting in the wings. That’s what should have happened under Roethlisberger. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

There are alot of rumors this time of year.   Most are BS.   

However, if we entertain it as an actual possibility...What would be especially stupid about that is that Fields is only under contract for one more year, pending we dont foolishly pick up his 5th year option, and if Russ is starting in 2024, it would mean we traded for a FUTURE backup plan who isnt even much of a backup plan.

Beyond that, you kind of slight Wilson by telling him you dont have much faith in him.

I do worry we will end up drafting a QB in the mid rounds, though.

Brooke Pryor says the Steelers didn’t have a plan after Ben Roethlisberger Retired: “The root of the problem, though, doesn't lie with Pickett, but in the organization's refusal to establish a clear succession plan behind Ben Roethlisberger. In chasing ghosts of the past, the Steelers failed to adequately prepare for their future, preferring instead to rewrite the organization's previous mistakes and hang on to the glory days. And now, two years after Roethlisberger's long-anticipated retirement, the team is exactly in the place it tried to avoid: square one ... almost.” #Steelers #NFL

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Brooke Pryor says the Steelers didn’t have a plan after Ben Roethlisberger Retired: “The root of the problem, though, doesn't lie with Pickett, but in the organization's refusal to establish a clear succession plan behind Ben Roethlisberger. In chasing ghosts of the past, the Steelers failed to adequately prepare for their future, preferring instead to rewrite the organization's previous mistakes and hang on to the glory days. And now, two years after Roethlisberger's long-anticipated retirement, the team is exactly in the place it tried to avoid: square one ... almost.” #Steelers #NFL

Thanks Colbert

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

The red flag that did pop up for me was when the media asked him if he picked up anything or learned anything observing the game from the sidelines. He said "Nothing"  That made me cringe for a guy with all the questions. 

5. The way he handled that situation made me figure he wasnt handling the current situation well. 

Talk about the moment I decided I was done with him. I swear there was another comment about Mason saying he didn’t really help Kenny because “he didn’t need it” and now I wonder did he reject it. 

I think to me what’s most disheartening is how much Tomlin stood up for the guy, said he believed in him, said he loves that Kenny doesn’t run from adversity, runs into the fire, isn’t afraid of the challenge. And Kenny basically spit in Tomlin’s face of all of that by pushing to be out when another QB is brought to town. 

On top of that I think of they Pryor quote  and can’t help but think that Kenny really got a overinflated sense of entitlement of being the starter because he started so quick, and that because he was picked after Ben left it meant he was the unquestioned guy. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Talk about the moment I decided I was done with him. I swear there was another comment about Mason saying he didn’t really help Kenny because “he didn’t need it” and now I wonder did he reject it. 

I think to me what’s most disheartening is how much Tomlin stood up for the guy, said he believed in him, said he loves that Kenny doesn’t run from adversity, runs into the fire, isn’t afraid of the challenge. And Kenny basically spit in Tomlin’s face of all of that by pushing to be out when another QB is brought to town. 

On top of that I think of they Pryor quote  and can’t help but think that Kenny really got a overinflated sense of entitlement of being the starter because he started so quick, and that because he was picked after Ben left it meant he was the unquestioned guy. 

I think its a two way street tbh. Kenny did put up with a lot and the Steelers and Tomlin gave him scraps to work with. The Oline, the Center, the OC and despite all the love for the weapons, they let him down often, blocking, route running and understanding assignments and just plain discipline of techniques. Perfect storm of a mess to which the head coach is entirely accountable, its his ship. That all said, Kenny had to persevere to be something special or for it to be meant to be. He didn't really show much heart or maturity in that at all, and perhaps thats where the entitlement shows or lack of love for the game, the role, or the organization itself. It did always feel like he accepted an award of being drafted in Pittsburgh that he reluctantly accepted or didn't really want. Almost like he would've rather dealt with anywhere else.  

His physical talent level was always going to be an uphill battle and his heart and desire would be the things to carry him over the hump. If that is lacking then you are getting more of an average QB. My biggest concern easily became the durability. His physical stature just seems to lend to him getting rag dolled more than most. He and Tua were the reasons for my cautionary red flags with Bryce Young. Short isnt as much of a concern as is the durability and propensity for concussion in todays concussion protocol era. Your best ability is availability. Some guys are just Glass Joe.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Perfect storm of a mess to which the head coach is entirely accountable, its his ship

See. I really disagree with this. Is there not a GM and Owner who are also very responsible for all those decisions? 

I’m sorry but the “Tomlin is a patsy why does he stay” or “Tomlin gets to overrule everyone” crap needs to be tossed. It’s very tiring. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Hard to argue the results. However, I don't think that they set Kenny up for success. I said that they should have started to fix the OL sooner and transition from the Big Ben run and gun style to more of a power type of scheme. The front office was left with little answers to losing Bell and Brown. Kenny didn't help himself by not staying and competing. I think that you said to me in earlier posts, the Steelers should rip the bandaid off so to speak. They have. 

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

I bet the next QB we draft in round 1 will have some real tools to work with and not just hope for "moxie" lol

But that “moxie” is something analytics can’t measure.