Pickett-ing his way to Philly.

I find it rather ironic that that which was touted by the Steelers brass as Pickett’s greatest strength is now seemingly his weakness…character. I expected a sneaky athletic, adequate and accurate arm QB, with miles of heart. I know you can’t trust every media narrative, but wow. Seems more destined for the Jersey Shore than Canton.

• Like 1

NFL is so unpredictable sometimes. Just 7 months ago, everyone was on a high after watching kenny and the offense play lights out in preseason

now kenny is in philly and Johnson in carolina and wilson is a steeler

33 minutes ago, August4th said:

Dulac going hard after kenny and considering dulac is the steelers mouthpiece ...they were over this dude lol

was it mostly due to him not wanting to be the QB2/3 while Mason was starting? Madden reported that, some defended KP saying Madden was wrong but then now I am hearing that was part of he problem.

I expect Wilson to recover (maybe comeback player of the year candidate actually) ,  and the deep passes should be frequent as compared to before.  Run game will get the passing game going. 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

Dulac going hard after kenny and considering dulac is the steelers mouthpiece ...they were over this dude lol

I don’t live in Pittsburgh…I have read a bunch on Pittsburgh sports, and Dulac seems to have no credibility…putting it mildly.

Edited by rlon

4 hours ago, August4th said:

NFL is so unpredictable sometimes. Just 7 months ago, everyone was on a high after watching kenny and the offense play lights out in preseason

now kenny is in philly and Johnson in carolina and wilson is a steeler

Meh.   You aren't wrong, but I dont think anyone is particularly surprised Kenny didn't work out.  I am a bit surprised we "gave up" on him so fast, but I like that about this new regime.   Under Colbert, they kept players longer than they should have because they hated admitting they made a mistake.    

This new regime is wasting no time making the Steelers THEIR team, and I am here for it.  The Colbert regime would have been content sitting on their hands and making a few little tweaks.    Khan and Weidl are like "Welp, that didnt work....NEXT!"

Not expecting us to be significantly better in 2024, but for the first time in awhile, I am actually SOMEWHAT optimistic about the future.   Not so much because of the players we got, but because Khan and Weidl are proving they aren't afraid to make moves to put us in a better situation and will change something that isn't working sooner rather than later.  

I still kinda think we are spinning tires....but at least Khan and Weidl are trying to get us out of the mud.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Meh.   You aren't wrong, but I dont think anyone is particularly surprised Kenny didn't work out.  I am a bit surprised we "gave up" on him so fast, but I like that about this new regime.   Under Colbert, they kept players longer than they should have because they hated admitting they made a mistake.    

This new regime is wasting no time making the Steelers THEIR team, and I am here for it.  The Colbert regime would have been content sitting on their hands and making a few little tweaks.    Khan and Weidl are like "Welp, that didnt work....NEXT!"

Not expecting us to be significantly better in 2024, but for the first time in awhile, I am actually SOMEWHAT optimistic about the future.   Not so much because of the players we got, but because Khan and Weidl are proving they aren't afraid to make moves to put us in a better situation and will change something that isn't working sooner rather than later.  

I still kinda think we are spinning tires....but at least Khan and Weidl are trying to get us out of the mud.

I am crying happy tears from this post. If @43M is on board you know the FO is doing something right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am crying happy tears from this post. If @43M is on board you know the FO is doing something right.

I just got exhausted seeing the same tired routine year after year that clearly wasn't working.   It was like Groundhog Day when he just became hopeless trapped in the same endless cycle with no way out.

Finally, change has come.  Will it pay off?   I dont know, but at least I can get a little excited again.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

And again, none of this is to say Tomlin is perfect or something even remotely close to that. 

He’s not the only one responsible and we will likely never know how responsible any one person was unless someone decides to write a tell-all. 

Yet for some reason people have a weird fascination with blaming only Tomlin. 

The national media is disgusting about Tomlin its obnoxious tbh and so are many of the parroters among fans. At the same time there is a lot of dumb excessive Tomlin hate by fans as well. 

Like everything with me, if the scales are tipping one way too much i'm likely to push down on the other side, whether it be an individual opinion or a crowd. Same thing with prospects, I tend to rag on guys when they are getting too much hype, but then I tend to defend them when everybody is piling on, doesn't mean i'm gonna change my grade just bringing it back to reality. Theres always a balance on everything when it comes to perspectives and opinions. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

25 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

The national media is disgusting about Tomlin its obnoxious tbh and so are many of the parroters among fans. At the same time there is a lot of dumb excessive Tomlin hate by fans as well. 

Like everything with me, if the scales are tipping one way too much i'm likely to push down on the other side, whether it be an individual opinion or a crowd. Same thing with prospects, I tend to rag on guys when they are getting too much hype, but then I tend to defend them when everybody is piling on, doesn't mean i'm gonna change my grade just bringing it back to reality. Theres always a balance on everything when it comes to perspectives and opinions. 

agree about the national media and tomlin, but the media might be told what to say anyways, they seem to say much of the same things for some reason. 

tomlin is appearing to have a much better roster this season, see what the rest of UFA and the draft brings, but it's looking better anyways

still think RT and C should be picks 1 and 2.  Unless they trade for Jefferson of courseO.o 

JPN, who do you want in RD1 and RD2 and RD3. Will the slot CB from Michigan be there in RD3, or will Lassiter? It would be nice to get a CB early or of course sign Howard or other top tier vet. Sneed would be another great trade for Khan to make B|

Gerry Dulac is the voice of the Steelers to the masses. I know many don't want to think their golden boy was a headache behind scenes but where there's smoke there is normally fire. Antonio Brown was the same way. The team will hide stuff to protect the team and the players. Once they decide to get rid of you, depending on how the player handles things, the team will "leak" information to a media member (Dulac). 

It was reported last year that Kenny told Coach Tomlin that he wouldn't dress as the 3rd QB. Many of us disagreed with it mostly because the thought of a player telling a coach something like that seemed insane or far fetched. Turns out it was true. There were other things said but the fact that players didn't want him as the QB of the team, spoke volumes. 

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Gerry Dulac is the voice of the Steelers to the masses. I know many don't want to think their golden boy was a headache behind scenes but where there's smoke there is normally fire. Antonio Brown was the same way. The team will hide stuff to protect the team and the players. Once they decide to get rid of you, depending on how the player handles things, the team will "leak" information to a media member (Dulac). 

It was reported last year that Kenny told Coach Tomlin that he wouldn't dress as the 3rd QB. Many of us disagreed with it mostly because the thought of a player telling a coach something like that seemed insane or far fetched. Turns out it was true. There were other things said but the fact that players didn't want him as the QB of the team, spoke volumes. 

I am sure you are correct, and, to me, for that reason…Dulac has no credibility. What a terrible existence. 

34 minutes ago, rlon said:

I am sure you are correct, and, to me, for that reason…Dulac has no credibility. What a terrible existence. 

The issue with Steelers media is everyone wants Bob Labriola’s job and Gerry Dulac thinks he has the inside track. 

So they use Dulac as their mouthpiece. On top of that for some reason he’s one of the old guards along with Bouchette (pre-retirement) who basically got to pick their replacements and other beat writers. 

Because of this, the Steelers know they can feed Dulac whatever the hell they want, and almost everyone will parrot that news. On top of that they know Filiponi, Dunlap, and Madden are so universally hated with media, fans, and other teams that no on bothers with their “reporting”. 

On top of that the Steelers work hard to restrict as much access to “outsider” reporting (aka SteelersDepot, PFF, even NFLNetwork) because they know that those outlets will report the truth because they don’t have that reverence for the “good ole boys” network. 

FWIW Mark Madden really embellishes and stretches the truth on his stories. Ever since he tried the Kordell Stewart is gay trick every team and college in the area except one blackballed him: the Penguins. Why not? Because not a lot of people were high on the Penguins at the time and he was a huge name. So if he had the access and they kept him happy, his fans would love the team. 

My best “the truth is in the middle” story is actually the TJ Watt “skipping” the exit interview story. From what I understand, TJ was supposed to be one of the first interviews because he had a prior engagement to get to at the end of the season. Well a bunch of the pending FAs were supposed to go after TJ but we’re annoyed they had to stick around so they basically kept going into the offices. So TJ asked if they could do his later via Zoom, and left with that understanding. 

But long winded way to cycle back around to the Steelers own internal reporter being such a coveted job. The Steelers would be best off just saying Teresa V is the future of it (she is) and let the beat writers go do their thing they way they should.