Pickett-ing his way to Philly.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Well now we got a Kenny defender on twitter claiming to know that Mason was offered a contract pre-FA, supposedly for what Mitch was supposed to get, sat on it, then the Steelers went for Wilson, when Mason showed up to sign the deal the Steelers pulled it because Wilson was going to accept the Steelers offer, then Mason told Kenny to get out because they were going to play games with him.

Gotta be honest, I find it really hard to believe because that meant Mason had a $7MM deal on the table and sat on it to see what was available in FA.

they played games with others, so this wouldn't shock me.  See how this plays out, maybe KP and Mason get chances this year, but only due to injury. 

7 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Where there's smoke......

If this stuff with Kenny and Mason are true at all....where do they get the audacity and entitlement?    

Mason got his shots over the years and was almost not even on the team last year.    The Steelers are the only team who gave him a chance last year for minumum money.   Giving him that chance and allowing him to play at the end is essentially what saved his career.   Guy should be insanely grateful.   

Kenny has shown next to nothing outside of preseason and a few drives in the 4th quarter.   He has some historically bad metrics and has done nothing to be THE GUY.   Mason came in and outperformed him, and he didnt think it was "fair" for the Steelers to go with the guy with the hot hand when Kenny was showing no real improvements over the season?    

Like I said, its hard to say exactly whats true and what isnt, but if ANY of this is true....**** both of them.   

I usually root for players that leave here to have success or at least I am neutral.   I ACTIVELY would root for them to fail if this stuff is true.      Maybe they can go light it up in the UFL against other players that cant cut it in the NFL. 

• Like 5

If Rudolph wants to be mad then fine.  I agree with @43M in that he was almost out of the league last year.  The Steelers gave him a shot and he looked good enough to get other offers.

KP is looking like a whinny kid.  He wanted traded when he had to compete? Good luck in Philly beginning your career as a backup.  I hope you can rise to the level of career backup I foresaw for you.

Fun Kenny Pickett stats:

* Joe Flacco has as many passing TDs in five games playing for the Browns than Pickett does in his Steelers career.

* Tommy DeVito had more multi-TD passing games in his first two career starts than Pickett has had in his entire career.

* Pickett has 0 games with 300 or more passing yards. Jake Browning did that 3 times alone this past December.

* There are 315 QBs in NFL history that have thrown 500 or more passes. Of those 315 players, Kenny Pickett is dead last, 315th, in touchdowns per throw. The absolute worst in NFL history.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 43M said:

If this stuff with Kenny and Mason are true at all....where do they get the audacity and entitlement?    

Mason got his shots over the years and was almost not even on the team last year.    The Steelers are the only team who gave him a chance last year for minumum money.   Giving him that chance and allowing him to play at the end is essentially what saved his career.   Guy should be insanely grateful.   

Kenny has shown next to nothing outside of preseason and a few drives in the 4th quarter.   He has some historically bad metrics and has done nothing to be THE GUY.   Mason came in and outperformed him, and he didnt think it was "fair" for the Steelers to go with the guy with the hot hand when Kenny was showing no real improvements over the season?    

Like I said, its hard to say exactly whats true and what isnt, but if ANY of this is true....**** both of them.   

I usually root for players that leave here to have success or at least I am neutral.   I ACTIVELY would root for them to fail if this stuff is true.      Maybe they can go light it up in the UFL against other players that cant cut it in the NFL. 

100% spot on. 

And to rant even more on this - as had been said since the end of the season Rooney, Kahn, and Tomlin have all openly expressed that they need a competition, but they have full faith in Kenny. Meaning they likely felt even if the splits were Wilson/Pickett 60/40 in camp that he could still win the job. 

To me it’s a spit in the face then of Tomlin (who say him every day) and Kahn, especially Tomlin, who spent the better part of two years defending Kenny against every attack, saying how he admired Kenny’s willingness to fight in the face of adversity. 

Say what you want about Tomlin, but no matter who the coach is that’s a childish level of disrespect. 

For Mason’s part. I don’t feel like he was jerked around at all. IMO that was in season BS to try to make it like Tomlin was an idiot. And the funny thing is, as you’ve pointed out, Mason wasn’t even good. He did just enough to not make a mistake and hit like 2 but plays a game. 

Teams regularly set contracts on the table, then pull them at the start of FA. That’s just business. So if the burns his chaps then he should retire to be Frank. His agent has been around 30+ years so he should know as the agent this happens and what was out there from others, and if a big contract is what matters most he should have told Mason to sign it. 

But cycling back to Kenny, and how bad his PR through this has been. As soon as the story comes out that he refused to dress as the number two, a good agent/PR person should have come out that Kenny was offered a cortisone shot to dress, that he was worried about the long term effects should he have played, and offered that if it got re-injured he did the team more harm than good. In fact, that actually makes the team look bad if you wanted it to. 

And to piggyback on @JustPlainNasty’s comment of him not looking thrilled to be here, it gets especially worse when you build in the other parts of crushing expectations but also the sense of entitlement. Colbert penned him to be Bens replacement, and since Kenny was here for 5 years he knows the adoration of Ben by the city, so I bet he expected to just stepping in and getting that. Additionally the rumor that ARII pushed for this because Art Sr famously regretted passing on Marino. So if that’s true I’m sure it gave him (KP) a sense of inflated ego because if the owner thought that then he should be untouchable, right? 

For KP I kinda laugh about this. If those things were his problems he just went to a team that jerks around about contracts even more. He went to a team where the HC has thrown people under the bus. He went to a team where the GM has openly said he sees QB2 as a factory of pump value and then trade them. He went to a team with less reasonable fans and a much more rough media. It’s going to be hilarious to see that media and fans basically run him out of town in his first bad performance, especially since they know they were in on Fields. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If Rudolph wants to be mad then fine.  I agree with @43M in that he was almost out of the league last year.  The Steelers gave him a shot and he looked good enough to get other offers.

KP is looking like a whinny kid.  He wanted traded when he had to compete? Good luck in Philly beginning your career as a backup.  I hope you can rise to the level of career backup I foresaw for you.

Fun Kenny Pickett stats:

* Joe Flacco has as many passing TDs in five games playing for the Browns than Pickett does in his Steelers career.

* Tommy DeVito had more multi-TD passing games in his first two career starts than Pickett has had in his entire career.

* Pickett has 0 games with 300 or more passing yards. Jake Browning did that 3 times alone this past December.

* There are 315 QBs in NFL history that have thrown 500 or more passes. Of those 315 players, Kenny Pickett is dead last, 315th, in touchdowns per throw. The absolute worst in NFL history.

I love on this point how people defend him still with “but Matt Canada and looked better in 6 quarters without him”. 

Then how did Mason score more points in a half and have better stats than Kenny did in 6 quarters. Hell even the terrible play by Mitch was to the same as what Kenny did. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I love on this point how people defend him still with “but Matt Canada and looked better in 6 quarters without him”. 

Then how did Mason score more points in a half and have better stats than Kenny did in 6 quarters. Hell even the terrible play by Mitch was to the same as what Kenny did. 

I don't think thats really fair not just by you but that whole narrative. The first game without Canada was a firestorm of figuring out who was gonna do what and an OC getting his first opportunity to lead putting an entire game plan together with and another guy a play caller switching his role back to something he did about 6 years ago all in 5 days.  Not just Pittsburghs situation but historically you wouldn't exactly expect much the first week of that transition except a lot of signs of the change being obvious. Kenny did what was asked of him quite well that week and of course Diontae dropped and easy TD and then the fumble on the ensuing play. Shouldv'e been an easy 23 points that game and not to mention they likely would've taken control of the game and been able to run even more. 

Then the next week he was playing with the bad wheel and then injured it on a lousy play. Again that narrative of Glass Joe is pretty fair. One thing that I think Kenny made a fatal mistake of was not admitting the times he was injured, I think it was multiple times. Ben was notoriously upfront about his injuries, to a lot of medias ridicule. The San Fran game (if Kenny didnt have a concussion then I don't know what all these other guys are going out for), the rib injury vs Jax and then playing the next week and weeks afterwards on what is commonly a 3 week injury at least these days. Just two examples. I think its his own fault and he was foolish for hiding it with all the scrutiny he had. On the opposite end not being the emergency QB in week 17 was also dumb and selfish. 

Lets just move on, whats done is done. Its like talking bout your ex girlfriend at this point.

Talk to me about what Russ actually did last year, not statistically but how effective was he really vs what he did the previous year? I don't even know that I caught one Broncos game this past season in part because of the ugly mess that was Russ the previous season. It was almost sad, or was sad, what he showed in 2022.

These guys both hold the ball which is pretty much every persons complaint in here about KP8, so we better get that Center upgrade that can hold up not just move. Gawd Cole was horrible this year.

8 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I don't think thats really fair not just by you but that whole narrative.

Here’s where I sit with that whole narrative - it holds some water because 6 quarters of game time does little to change all the other games and two years of practice that they have seen.  Teams that make a decision based on that are the ones that end up signing Daniel Jones to that kind of contract.  

13 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Talk to me about what Russ actually did last year, not statistically but how effective was he really vs what he did the previous year? I don't even know that I caught one Broncos game this past season in part because of the ugly mess that was Russ the previous season. It was almost sad, or was sad, what he showed in 2022.

He was really effective in PA situations.  His passing in the pocket wasn’t great, but like in his past when he got on the edge and to the outside of the pocket he was really good.  I think that’s why the fit issues were there in Denver because Peyton doesn’t like that, he wants Russ operating from in the pocket.  Smith’s offense does get the QB moving, on the edge, it gives good deep to short options which is what Russ reads.

I think it’s a good offense for Fields to develop in as well because you can give him something built on run, run, PA naked boot where he can go deep, take an intermediate dump off, or tuck and run.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I don't think thats really fair not just by you but that whole narrative. The first game without Canada was a firestorm of figuring out who was gonna do what and an OC getting his first opportunity to lead putting an entire game plan together with and another guy a play caller switching his role back to something he did about 6 years ago all in 5 days.  Not just Pittsburghs situation but historically you wouldn't exactly expect much the first week of that transition except a lot of signs of the change being obvious. Kenny did what was asked of him quite well that week and of course Diontae dropped and easy TD and then the fumble on the ensuing play. Shouldv'e been an easy 23 points that game and not to mention they likely would've taken control of the game and been able to run even more. 

Then the next week he was playing with the bad wheel and then injured it on a lousy play. Again that narrative of Glass Joe is pretty fair. One thing that I think Kenny made a fatal mistake of was not admitting the times he was injured, I think it was multiple times. Ben was notoriously upfront about his injuries, to a lot of medias ridicule. The San Fran game (if Kenny didnt have a concussion then I don't know what all these other guys are going out for), the rib injury vs Jax and then playing the next week and weeks afterwards on what is commonly a 3 week injury at least these days. Just two examples. I think its his own fault and he was foolish for hiding it with all the scrutiny he had. On the opposite end not being the emergency QB in week 17 was also dumb and selfish. 

Lets just move on, whats done is done. Its like talking bout your ex girlfriend at this point.

These guys both hold the ball which is pretty much every persons complaint in here about KP8, so we better get that Center upgrade that can hold up not just move. Gawd Cole was horrible this year.

You make some fair points, but I am just excuse'd out when it comes to Pickett.   Nothing about him gave off long term franchise QB vibes.  Im not saying Rudolph was better or than Canada didnt negatively affect him, but that was part of the reason I never wanted him.    He wasn't a 1st rd talent regardless of where he went, but he needed a much better situation than we could offer him if he had any chance.   I actually think Philly is a good spot for him, even though I see nothing but a career backup, much like Rudolph.

I was ready to give Kenny another chance, but my faith in him was exceedingly low.   Now that I hear about his ego, I am pretty convinced he doesn't have the mentality to be a consistently dependable player.   Ben had a similarly fragile ego, but was much much more talented.

• Like 1

Oh, and as far as Russ and Fields....I certainly dont have huge faith in either guy, but they are both low cost options on prove it deals that offer far more potential than Pickett and Rudolph.   

• Like 2