Pickett-ing his way to Philly.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

See. I really disagree with this. Is there not a GM and Owner who are also very responsible for all those decisions? 

I’m sorry but the “Tomlin is a patsy why does he stay” or “Tomlin gets to overrule everyone” crap needs to be tossed. It’s very tiring. 

You want all of the accolades for him but none of the smoke ? 17 year head coach that "loves this stuff " has his nose right in the fire which is bragged about endlessly in Mobile etc. He gets all the credit for the ingredients but only when they are good ? 

Dotson & Green were they Colberts fault ? Those were two very big pieces of the plan that have shown capable and successful elsewhere almost immediately. 

DB Head coach that has struggled to pick or develop cornerbacks his entire tenure. It is THE worst position the Steelers have struggled with almost to a baffling degree. 

My bigger thing especially this past year is allowing coaches and culture to operate with such poor lack of details and execution. It almost felt like Tomlin was on vacation when it came to concern with the details of his players and coaches. 

The things that are put on the owner are the decision to keep Ben. The owner gives a directive, the GM & the HC come up with a plan and solution of how to make it happen. Rooney is involved but I think people give him way too much credit for picking the drapes. Rooney gave a directive that they needed to get back to the run and it needed to happen asap. Colbert & Tomlins solution was to draft a bell cow RB in the first round at all costs. Rooney says ok make it work . Rooney doesnt scout out Najee and say I want this guy no matter what. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Talk about the moment I decided I was done with him. I swear there was another comment about Mason saying he didn’t really helpee Kenny because “he didn’t need it” and now I wonder did he reject it. 

Definitely need to change the teamwork culture. Ben didn't help Mason much either. In the immortal words of Leon, "There's no I in team. And there ain't no WE either."

I think to me what’s most disheartening is how much Tomlin stood up for the guy, said he believed in him, said he loves that Kenny doesn’t run from adversity, runs into the fire, isn’t afraid of the challenge. And Kenny basically spit in Tomlin’s face of all of that by pushing to be out when another QB is brought to town. 

Not only Coach Tomlin, but apparently he lost some of the teammates in the locker room. "Those intangibles!" Apparently, he felt like he was the man. I said when he was drafted that he should have sat for a year. Part of that is to allow the young QB to watch and learn how to be an NFL QB. I thought Kenny was more mature. 

On top of that I think of the Pryor quote  and can’t help but think that Kenny really got a overinflated sense of entitlement of being the starter because he started so quick,

Part of my point. Unfortunately, Mitch didn't exactly light it up and  Mason's last performance was very average(Lions game).

and that because he was picked after Ben left it meant he was the unquestioned guy. 

Nothing wrong with believing in yourself, but you have to prove it. I honestly thought he would step up, compete, and show what he was capable of doing. Overcoming adversity is a trait that a champion 🏆 must have. I love the guy and hope that he learns from this. He created some drama, chaos, and now tapped out to challenging Russell only to sit on bench in Philly. 😔😓

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

See. I really disagree with this. Is there not a GM and Owner who are also very responsible for all those decisions? 

I’m sorry but the “Tomlin is a patsy why does he stay” or “Tomlin gets to overrule everyone” crap needs to be tossed. It’s very tiring. 

Im never really trying to hate on Tomlin, just that as much as you think he is picked on I think he is overblown and defended that much. He doesn't deserve either the love or the hate to the degree that he gets them is my opinion. 

We dont talk about it very much but the turnover this team suffered in basically 1 year was devastating. Losing Pouncey, Decastro, Foster and Al all at the same time to go along with Tuitt and then Ben whether capable or not was a big change to suffer to go along with losing that Pro Bowl Oline squad. 

9 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Dotson

Spent more time injured than healthy here. 

10 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Green

2 games where the OL down there still had troubles and he personally had the same struggles. His “good” is overplayed to complain. 

11 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

DB Head coach that has struggled to pick or develop cornerbacks his entire tenure. It is THE worst position the Steelers have struggled with almost to a baffling degree. 

I agree on this one. The whiffs are inexcusable - but to put this on Tomlin like he picks it without any other input is getting tiring. 

12 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

My bigger thing especially this past year is allowing coaches and culture to operate with such poor lack of details and execution. It almost felt like Tomlin was on vacation when it came to concern with the details of his players and coaches. 

Given we’re not in the room we can’t talk to it. What if the details were there in meeting and the players just couldn’t do it. It’s not always on the coaches 100%. I’d say about 70% is on them with things like that. 

16 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Rooney gave a directive that they needed to get back to the run and it needed to happen asap. Colbert & Tomlins solution was to draft a bell cow RB in the first round at all costs. Rooney says ok make it work . Rooney doesnt scout out Najee and say I want this guy no matter what. 

And that statement and edict doesn’t have a big impact on that? His talking about how the Steelers are known for their RBs and leaving OL out of it doesn’t skew that at all?

Right now in this “how bad did Tomlin mess things up” the only way to see is time. Clearly the new FO setup isn’t afraid to move on from the mistakes of the past. If so many of those guys were Tomlins guys wouldn’t he be fighting to keep them?

@JustPlainNasty and @warfelg

I like Coach Tomlin. The organization has lived off past success. It is not Tomlinism or Tomlin hate, it's Colbert's fault, it's Mr. Rooney's fault. It is the collective. This is an art and not an exact science. It is easy to think that past success equates to future success. Getting that one player certainly helps or hurts you. Bellichick is a genius as a HC because of Tom Brady. Andy Reed was already successful and has become a great coach because of Mahomes. 

12 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Im never really trying to hate on Tomlin, just that as much as you think he is picked on I think he is overblown and defended that much. He doesn't deserve either the love or the hate to the degree that he gets them is my opinion. 

We dont talk about it very much but the turnover this team suffered in basically 1 year was devastating. Losing Pouncey, Decastro, Foster and Al all at the same time to go along with Tuitt and then Ben whether capable or not was a big change to suffer to go along with losing that Pro Bowl Oline squad. 

I feel like I’m the only person the remotely defends anything to do with him on this board, unless you can point out to stuff I’m not seeing. Either that or others arguments (national media) get applied to my statements on Tomlin to constantly twist it. 

And I agree on that turnover, but it’s also a show of a lack of foresight into the future. We always hear that there was a rumor Ben and Colbert would go out together, and typically Tomlin was tied to it but there was also the Tomlin loves coaching. There’s why towards the end I was so anti-Colbert. For him everything was about Ben. As much as we can say Tomlins career is tied to Ben you can say the same for Colbert. And even more so because 2/3 QBs he got to hand pick were Maddox and Pickett. Everything late in his career feels like it was chasing something. Chasing one more SB, chasing the ability to extend Bens career, chasing one last franchise QB. I feel like the further we get away from that and the more of those guys are moved on from, if Tomlin is still here, we will have a clearer picture of who controlled what. 

8 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

@JustPlainNasty and @warfelg

I like Coach Tomlin. The organization has lived off past success. It is not Tomlinism or Tomlin hate, it's Colbert's fault, it's Mr. Rooney's fault. It is the collective. This is an art and not an exact science. It is easy to think that past success equates to future success. Getting that one player certainly helps or hurts you. Bellichick is a genius as a HC because of Tom Brady. Andy Reed was already successful and has become a great coach because of Mahomes. 

This is really fully where I sit. It’s like 2/5 Colbert, 2/5 Tomlin, 1/5 Rooney. I feel like ARII has a much bigger impact than many like to admit and I feel that the Report Card speaks to that. 

I also feel like we have a setup where no matter who the coach is, they are the ones that are out in front of the cameras. Our owner is so invisible that broadcast networks barely show them during games. Our FO tends to be so invisible they can get away with mistakes. 

The best example that speaks to all of this that, to me, shows how much the ownership and FO get away their part in it is in season when the secondary was playing poorly. We were without Minkah, Neal, Thompson, Sullivan for a spot, and even Kazee was suspended for a point. We had little other choices on the roster, but the biggest thing people could do was blame Tomlin for playing Wallace because Wallace got burnt on a play where Peterson was late on his rotation. Clearly Okorafor did more than just say “oh let’s just take a knee” that we never saw or heard or the easy decision was to bench Moore, but once Okorafor was in that position the players left gave little option, but it was all Tomlins fault. That type of stuff is annoying because you don’t think Tomlin would do something different if he had an option to. 

And again, none of this is to say Tomlin is perfect or something even remotely close to that. 

He’s not the only one responsible and we will likely never know how responsible any one person was unless someone decides to write a tell-all. 

Yet for some reason people have a weird fascination with blaming only Tomlin. 

So let me get this straight - Kenny was told competition would be brought in and that he would not just be given the starting QB job and he was ok with it. So then we bring in a veteran to compete and he is told the veteran will be getting first team reps, even though it will still be a competition. 

First of all - I know it is Tomlin’s mantra every training camp that every single player on the team, including the Minkahs and TJs need to earn their spot every year.

Second - Veterans are ALWAYS given the first rep in any competition here. 

I don’t mean to pile on to Kenny too hard here, I have been one of his biggest doubters since last year. But this dude is coming out of all this looking like a complete phony. Yes your situation was not ideal but you played like complete trash and regressed last year. You put out some AWFUL film and have some of the worst QB stats of ALL TIME. This is the NFL, how delusional are you that you think it’s going to be any better for you anywhere other than the situation you have here (completion is a 36 year old on a cheap 1 year deal). 

Even though he was absolutely trash when he played I always felt kind of bad for him because he seemed like a good dude and a hard worker. Kenny is a bad QB, teammates clearly didn’t like him, he’s selfish and a primadona. One of the worst mistakes this franchise has made in recent memory. Good riddance and enjoy riding the pine in Philly. I’m not even sure he will beat out Tanner McKee for the QB2 job.

Rant over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

So let me get this straight - Kenny was told competition would be brought in and that he would not just be given the starting QB job and he was ok with it. So then we bring in a veteran to compete and he is told the veteran will be getting first team reps, even though it will still be a competition. 

It should not have been a problem. You play the way that you are capable of playing and you make it a tough decision. 

First of all - I know it is Tomlin’s mantra every training camp that every single player on the team, including the Minkahs and TJs need to earn their spot every year.

Second - Veterans are ALWAYS given the first rep in any competition here. 

As someone who is a Pickett fan, I  am very disappointed. I thought that he would fight until the end.

I don’t mean to pile on to Kenny too hard here, I have been one of his biggest doubters since last year. But this dude is coming out of all this looking like a complete phony.

Yes. This is coming from someone who defended Kenny and felt like he deserves a shot to complete with weapons and protection. The fact that he didn't want to compete here, but is comfortable sitting in Philly is a head scratcher. Maybe he thinks he can better compete with Jalen! 😱

Yes your situation was not ideal but you played like complete trash and regressed last year. You put out some AWFUL film and have some of the worst QB stats of ALL TIME.

I don't think that the Steelers set him up for success. Many said that he needed more WR help coming into the season. The OL regressed early in the season and Kenny got happy feet 🐾🐾.He owns his stats, but the Steelers own how they set him up for success. Or lack thereof actually.

This is the NFL, how delusional are you that you think it’s going to be any better for you anywhere other than the situation you have here (completion is a 36 year old on a cheap 1 year deal). 

Makes no sense.

Even though he was absolutely trash when he played I always felt kind of bad for him because he seemed like a good dude and a hard worker.

That is where I was. I definitely feel let down as a fan of his.

Kenny is a bad QB, teammates clearly didn’t like him, he’s selfish and a primadona. One of the worst mistakes this franchise has made in recent memory. Good riddance and enjoy riding the pine in Philly. I’m not even sure he will beat out Tanner McKee for the QB2 job.

Rant over.

I am more disappointed than mad. I will give the front office credit for ripping off the bandage. Sad to see someone blow an opportunity and tarnish their Pittsburgh legacy. 

13 hours ago, 43M said:

There are alot of rumors this time of year.   Most are BS.   

However, if we entertain it as an actual possibility...What would be especially stupid about that is that Fields is only under contract for one more year, pending we dont foolishly pick up his 5th year option, and if Russ is starting in 2024, it would mean we traded for a FUTURE backup plan who isnt even much of a backup plan.

Beyond that, you kind of slight Wilson by telling him you dont have much faith in him.

I do worry we will end up drafting a QB in the mid rounds, though.

Yeah I’m not sure how they could possibly swing this trade and come out with a contract situation that makes sense.  Kahn would really have to make a hard sell to get him on an incentive laden extension vs the 5th year option.  

Assuming we don’t make a deal for Fields the only positive that could come out of our current situation is we end up in a worse QB situation next year and have a down year to get us high enough in the draft to get a QB of the future.