Fields to Pittsburgh

BroncoSojia

22 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Did Ridder just bring back more value than Fields did in a trade O.o   Moore had to be better value than a 6th in next years draft not even this one lol. 

Funny you mention Ridder, one of the sports writers in ATL did a thing about them possibly trading for Fields and when he did the numbers Ridder was equal or better than Fields in most areas

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Neither Pickett or Darnold have proven to be better traditional QBs than Fields. Howell arguably. All three have been benched. Fields has never been benched.

I'm talking just their style of play not whether they can actually be functional QBs. All 3 of them are more traditional drop back passers.

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Kinda makes the Wilson signing pointless. He’s not going to accept a backup job. 

Except (a) Wilson is on a one-year deal, (b) Wilson is a Veteran who Fields can learn under which he never had in Chicago, (c) those two factors together could result in Fields becoming the long-term starter in Pittsburgh if they don't like draft or FA options next spring..

Wow that is cheap, I thought at least a 3rd rounder.  And worst case he does poorly and his rookie contract is up and they just do not resign him.

The Steelers have what two of the cheapest QBs in the NFL now?  Wilson gets what $1.2 mil next year and Fields get $1.6 mil?  Those are two crazy talented QBs for freaking under $3 million dollars?  

Pittsburgh is making some great moves with very little risk or cash involved.  Impressive.  

57 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Got less than what the Eagles paid for Pickett

Yeah that is nuts, in no way is Pickett a better QB long term with more upside than Justin Fields.  Steelers have made some great QB moves of late!

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The strong QB class probably hurt his trade value. Would you rather have Fields on a 1 year deal or Penix for 4? That’s probably why he didn’t net a 2nd or 3rd. 

He sucks and he's on an expiring contract unless you're ready to commit $25M to him in 2025.

50 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The Bears have cap space and Bagent isn't a bad back up. I don't think there's any scenario where having Fields and Williams in the same locker room would be a positive. It would be an instant QB controversy. 

Agreed, Bagent is a good enough backup and showed some things for a UDFA last year I thought.  No reason for the Bears to go get a backup QB with Bagent on the roster, dude is decent enough.

Still nuts they took so little for Fields but I guess they just needed to get rid of him and I agree they could not have both in the same locker room.  

Odd that now that Fields is gone, the Bears have the best offense talent since Fields got there.  Adding Shelton at center which is solid coming over from the Rams, Bates as a backup OG, possibly a healthy Nate Davis at OG, another year of development at RT for Wright who is super promising and adding Swift at RB who can make plays out of the backfield as a receiver and they still have Herbert and Johnson at RB also and getting Keenan Allen at WR, a tough consistent pass catcher.  Lucky for Caleb Williams! 

33 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Neither Pickett or Darnold have proven to be better traditional QBs than Fields. Howell arguably. All three have been benched. Fields has never been benched.

He probably should've been tbh

I really think Fields should have been worth a 2nd round pick.  The market spoke, however, and it is what it is.  I do think he has a lot of talent, and could possibly turn things around eventually.  The Steelers are probably one of the best places he could have ended up.  Maybe just having a season to sit on the sidelines and watch, might help slow things down in his head.  As it was, he was playing in a huge market, and was thrust into the spotlight way too soon.

The Bears failed Justin Fields.  There is no getting around that.  They spent multiple first round draft picks to move up in the draft for him, and then what do they do?  They decide it makes a lot of sense to pair him with a defensive-minded head coach.  Then they throw him into situations where he couldn't possibly be ready, with nearly no decent supporting cast.  The team set him up to fail right from the start.

For this reason, a part of me is actually happy the Bears organization needed to eat some crow on this deal.  Hopefully, the embarrassment from the fallout of what they did to Justin Fields will cause them to think a little before taking on Caleb Williams.  Maybe they won't make the same mistakes all over again with yet another talented young quarterback.  We shall see.

I do wish Justin Fields nothing but the best of luck and huge success with the rest of his career.  He seems like a great young man, and he certainly deserves it.

28 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Funny you mention Ridder, one of the sports writers in ATL did a thing about them possibly trading for Fields and when he did the numbers Ridder was equal or better than Fields in most areas

Im actually one of the guys who broke that down on here as well awhile back when everyone was blasting on ridder.  I defend ridder more than alot of people do but i also know his short comings between the ears at times.   He has more than enough talent to be a franchise QB but until he can repeat everything consistently at a high level he will be nothing more than a backup.  

Now with that said i think people were right in thinking as long as we had Arthur Smith as HC Fields probably would have been our QB this year of choice and i truthfully believe we prob. would have given more than a 6th in 2025 for him to be our starter.  

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bears fans really argued that building around him was a better strategy then taking Caleb Williams #1 and the rest of the league valued him as a 6th round pick.

Not even a 6th considering it is a 2025 6th  thats equal to a 7th this year honestly.