Fields to Pittsburgh

BroncoSojia

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Fields isn’t good, like at all, so I’m not surprised but this is a great place for him if he’s ever gonna find himself as a player. I’m intrigued to see what he looks like after a year sitting behind Russ and developing under Tomlin and Arthur Smith. 

Bro change your avi.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, viking said:

If the plan was to trade fields they should have canned Eberflus at the end of the season

here's the Bears timeline:

1. Draft Caleb Williams at 1

2. Can Eberflus at the end of the 2025 season after another disappointing year

3. New HC isn't compatible with C. Williams and the Bears begin their search for their QBOTF again

Dysfunction at it's absolute finest. Never change, Chicago! Never change!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malak1 said:

Kevin Warren? - you might need to look him up.

George McCaskey? - He’s only ever been a football guy, his entire life. He’s basically football royalty, unfortunately.

Whether they suck at their jobs is one thing, but saying they aren’t “football people” is objectively wrong. 

It's difficult to imagine Kevin Warren having anything to do with this catastrophe.  And, no, inheriting a NFL franchise and having a fire sale without a fire does not make someone a football person by any useful definition.  Not even if they are the rule rather than the exception.

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What was Poles supposed to do? Build around  mid QB?

First, I don't think Poles is making this decision.  There is a pattern in Chicago:  The more authority required to make a decision the more certain it is to be an unmitigated disaster.

Second, Justin Fields is one of the best QB2s in the league.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If willing to accept 2025 picks why not wait until after the draft when Justin's value rises (i.e. among teams that missed the boat in the 2024 draft or, later still, among those who have incurred a QB injury)?

Since you asked, though, I'd trade down from #1, in part because the team needs picks, in part because I don't think Caleb Williams is [necessarily] better than the 4 or 5 QBs below him, and in large part because I don't have a lot of faith in Chicago's ability to recognize or develop QB talent.  Take an OT and whichever top 6 QB is available at #9.  Concentrate on the rest of the team's cap space and draft capital on defense.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
  • Like 1

I am legit shocked at how many people think Fields deserved more. He isn't good enough and the only way he is even functional is if an entire offense is built around his skill, that is part of the reason he isn't valued as high as a backup as Darnold, Riddler, etc. They can at least come into the offense that is already in place. Backup QB also isn't just sit on the bench and wait for the guy in front to get hurt, they have a job in terms of helping with what defenses are doing and how to counter both in film during the week and on the sideline. I'm not going to pretend to know just how good these guys are at that, but Fields has the traits and can't do it, those other guys simply don't have the talent so it wouldn't be surprising if even though they can't do it, they have the ability to do the film part, whereas I question that with Fields simply because he has the traits that if he could do that should make him successful. So unless his only failing is ability to see while on the field, which is possible, he doesn't fill the back up role in that respect either

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

I am legit shocked at how many people think Fields deserved more. He isn't good enough and the only way he is even functional is if an entire offense is built around his skill, that is part of the reason he isn't valued as high as a backup as Darnold, Riddler, etc. They can at least come into the offense that is already in place. Backup QB also isn't just sit on the bench and wait for the guy in front to get hurt, they have a job in terms of helping with what defenses are doing and how to counter both in film during the week and on the sideline. I'm not going to pretend to know just how good these guys are at that, but Fields has the traits and can't do it, those other guys simply don't have the talent so it wouldn't be surprising if even though they can't do it, they have the ability to do the film part, whereas I question that with Fields simply because he has the traits that if he could do that should make him successful. So unless his only failing is ability to see while on the field, which is possible, he doesn't fill the back up role in that respect either

I'd rather have a guy like Fields who can be a weapon than a run-of-the-mill backup. I'd expect my top offensive mind to be able make the adjustments needed if the starter goes down.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, viking said:

If the plan was to trade fields they should have canned Eberflus at the end of the season

here's the Bears timeline:

1. Draft Caleb Williams at 1

2. Can Eberflus at the end of the 2025 season after another disappointing year

3. New HC isn't compatible with C. Williams and the Bears begin their search for their QBOTF again

I don't see this as a huge deal. The Rams had this situation occur, and McVay was able to do just fine with Jared Goff until he acquired the QB he really wanted. If you hire a good coach, it works itself out, unless Caleb is a total bust. If Caleb is a total bust, everybody is f'd, so there's nothing you can really do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Which one is being paid 40m by their former team not to be there in 2024?

Thats a pretty bad argument in regards to who is better.

If you like Fields more than Wilson, so be it, but the Broncos laughable incompetence in how they handled Russell Wilson from start to finish is irrelevant to who is better between him and Fields.

I dont have an extremely strong preference either way, but I trust Wilson more than Fields, at least as a pure passer.   That isnt saying much, though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd rather have a guy like Fields who can be a weapon than a run-of-the-mill backup. I'd expect my top offensive mind to be able make the adjustments needed if the starter goes down.

The problem is, to have that "weapon backup" locked and loaded and ready to go, requires a whole bunch of diverted practice time if the concepts and offensive philosophy is that much different than what your Starter is running.  Which you're not going to bother with, because that's a waste of the time that you do have to dedicate to your actual gameplan and refining and drilling the execution of your actual scheme and offensive concepts.  It's also just asking everyone to think in two different modes at once.

Even if your Starter goes down for more than just the remainder of whatever current game, and you have a week to prepare and install a different concept to suit the "weapon guy"...it's a whole lot to dump on everyone all at once.  It's going to take time that you don't really have, to get things up and running and executing at the high level it needs to succeed.

It's one thing if you've got a backup who can execute the same general system and offensive concepts as your Starter...and just happens to be a running threat or whatever as well.  That's great if you can find it (typically through the draft until they walk as a FA for more opportunity).  But most of the time when you've got these guys with crazy athletic gifts who can't latch on as a starter...it's because the mental half of their game is underdeveloped or inadequate.  ie. Like Fields, they'll need a scheme that switches gears significantly...using their legs to simplify the processing and reads they're asked to make (pre and post snap).

That has repercussions for everyone else and their responsibilities and roles, especially the more complex and nuanced an offense gets.

It's just not the sort of thing that you can typically swap out "on the fly" to nurse a game home if you unfortunately need to.  And in the grand scheme of things...if your Starter goes down for any extended period of time where that "weapon" at backup might have time to get things tailored around them, you're probably sunk anyway.  Very few teams are built to withstand the loss of their starting QB for an extended period.  There are a rare handful of backups (usually younglings drafted by a team) who happen to have the upside to just keep the same offensive system rolling, who can keep a team above water in that scenario.

In other words...if a "weapon" at QB is a big enough weapon to go out there and legitimately win a decent number of games, there's a very good chance that someone in this desperately QB-starved league would have noticed, and given them a real look as their Starter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's not how offenses function my guy. You have a series of core plays/concepts installed during training camp/preseason that are used throughout the season. If your backup QB can't run those plays at a moments notice you have a problem.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StatKing said:

Why? I was praying for them to give Fields an extension.

The second they clinched the #1 pick, they weren't extending Fields.  Poles can talk about how he had an open mind, but he was locked into Caleb Williams at #1.  It's the only way he was saving his job.  If he would have stuck with Fields and Fields and/or the Bears struggled next year, the entire franchise is cleaned out.  Caleb Williams almost assuredly gives Poles 2-3 more years to turn it around.

• Like 1